Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) - Offseason part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I would certainly welcome a Vatanen addition, but he was really not that good this past year. He was 5th worst in the league in ES points/60. Was that because of the injury? Who knows.

His ES points/60 over the past 3 years is lower than Adam Larsson, just FYI. That isn't good for a supposed "offensive" DMan.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I would certainly welcome a Vatanen addition, but he was really not that good this past year. He was 5th worst in the league in ES points/60. Was that because of the injury? Who knows.

His ES points/60 over the past 3 years is lower than Adam Larsson, just FYI. That isn't good for a supposed "offensive" DMan.

While I'd be ok with Vatanen because he can actually handle and move the puck, I think he's vastly overrated.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Anyone think that Joey Anderson has a chance to make the team this year? Or is he definitely going back to college??

He's definitely going back to college, he doesn't have an ELC.

Once he has an ELC he can't go back to college, if he was going pro he would have signed already.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Reddit is way too attached to Rico.

Rico is the social media face of the franchise. Not to mention he is and will always be part of a legendary call in Devils history. Some get very attached to types of things and think with their heart rather then their head.

It would be tough to see Rico go, but the blow would be easier to handle if we are getting a proven top 4 Dman.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It really wouldn't be that tough for me. He dogged it last year.

Intangibles are being badly overrated in this instance and it is far more important to protect out young core still on ELCs

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
As long as the return is fair, I'll be happy to see Henrique go. Tired of his pathetic effort level.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Moving Henrique is the Hall for Larrson trade in reverse.

Now I am not saying Hall and Henrique are on the same level skill wise or that whoever we might move him for is on the same level as Larrson. But in this case we are the Oilers. Losing a fan favorite, a player some feel would be here a really long time and was going to be a part of the future.

Im sure Shero wont pull the trigger if he isnt sure the Dman will be what we need.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Rico is the social media face of the franchise. Not to mention he is and will always be part of a legendary call in Devils history. Some get very attached to types of things and think with their heart rather then their head.

It would be tough to see Rico go, but the blow would be easier to handle if we are getting a proven top 4 Dman.
I don't know? I think any Dman would have a tough time playing here next season...we don't have many good defensive forwards, we are going to have to have a lot of youth in the lineup and the D Corp as a group doesn't have much in the way of support...can you imagine trading a fan favorite for guy who has rocky start? I think our fans would be relentless and you'd have an instant whipping boy.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
I don't know? I think any Dman would have a tough time playing here next season...we don't have many good defensive forwards, we are going to have to have a lot of youth in the lineup and the D Corp as a group doesn't have much in the way of support...can you imagine trading a fan favorite for guy who has rocky start? I think our fans would be relentless and you'd have an instant whipping boy.

Nah Moore is still here same with Lovejoy. They will be the whipping boys! :sarcasm::laugh:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Well Henrique is definitely not a defensive forward, despite this myth held by some fans so we wouldn't be losing much on that front shipping him out.

I think he got that reputation from scoring all those shorthanded goals early in his career.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
Henrique mails it in for like half the games every season, it gets extremely frustrating to watch.

If he bought his A game consistently i'd care significantly more about losing him, as it stands i'd happily ship him out for a defensive upgrade.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Henrique mails it in for like half the games every season, it gets extremely frustrating to watch.

If he bought his A game consistently i'd care significantly more about losing him, as it stands i'd happily ship him out for a defensive upgrade.

Come on the last two times that was said before this season we found out he was playing through injury.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010

I think part of it is a lot of new fans seemed to follow the team more closely or went from casual to more serious during and after that 2012 run so for them that was the first big moment for them as a Devils fan and it is understandable that they have an extra attachment that a longer time fan may not have to Henrique.

Similarly if we were to move on from Henrique, we also moved on from the guy who scored arguably the biggest goal in team history with an opportunity to get better when acquiring Langenbrunner/Nieuwendyk. Granted that team was nowhere near to being where we are as a team right now, but the principle of moving somebody that has been very important and scored some big goals, in order to try and improve, is something we've gone through before.

There will always be a special place in Devil fans minds for Henrique and if he is kept around, great, if not, sometimes you just have to move on.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
If ever there was a time to flip Rico for some solid help on D then I think that time has come. I'm in no hurry to see it happen unless the trade is a no brainer but yeah...

It's a shame he so often does his invisible man impersonation because I believe he'd remain a critical core member if he would up his compete level more than just occasionally. He could be decent at LW with the right playmaker but maybe that ship has sailed a this stage since I would agree he was visibly slack a great deal last year.

He's among our best cleanup guys around net and one of our only forwards that can generate some good SHG chances but I think both attributes point toward his opportunistic nature. The problem is we desperately need his contributions more than just once in a blue moon.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't think Moore gets whipped enough.
He gets whipped more than enough.... by the other team when he's on the ice....

Ba dum tss!
If ever there was a time to flip Rico for some solid help on D then I think that time has come. I'm in no hurry to see it happen unless the trade is a no brainer but yeah...

It's a shame he so often does his invisible man impersonation because I believe he'd remain a critical core member if he would up his compete level more than just occasionally. He could be decent at LW with the right playmaker but maybe that ship has sailed a this stage since I would agree he was visibly slack a great deal last year.

He's among our best cleanup guys around net and one of our only forwards that can generate some good SHG chances but I think both attributes point toward his opportunistic nature. The problem is we desperately need his contributions more than just once in a blue moon.

I haven't accused him of going invisible much or half assing it, though there were definitely times where he seemed to coast last year and it annoyed me. I guess I just don't think he's as good as many others do. He's a good middle 6 forward and usually good for at least 40 points a season. He's also one of the best players in the league at finishing scoring chances, he's just not nearly as good at actually getting scoring chances.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
Henrique has way too many deficiencies in his game to be a your first or 2nd line center. He's hard to play with, drags down guys possession wise, and is incredibly streaky. He honestly isn't even that skilled of a player which is why he struggles with a skilled, speedster in Hall. He's got a good shot and a good nose for getting scrappy goals, which is the only reason he's garnered the reputation he has. At best he's a passenger LW on a very skilled 2nd line. He's not good defensively either. Guys that can play the PK like Rico are a dime a dozen. I really would move Henrique easily, but I don't think NHL GMs are in love with him as much as fans think they are because of his name-value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad