Devils 2016-17 team discussion (player news and notes) - Part X

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I think he's talking about is if you take the players we have now and put them in their idea roles on a contender right now, that's where they would be.

Of course you also have to throw the D in that equation too. They barely have one top pairing guy, if that at this point.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Of course you also have to throw the D in that equation too. They barely have one top pairing guy, if that at this point.

Well he was responding to the discussion about the Henrique and Palmieri and how a lot of people on here have absurd expectations for those two. Ideally, like he said, they're middle-six players not top line players.

Devilswede

Dec 10, 2006
Is there a more identity-less team in the NHL than the Devils right now? I just can't grasp this team, where they're going, with the players we have etc etc.

I mean...the quality on the team is just not there. They were talking about fast, supportive and attacking. This team is anything but fast, supportive and and attacking....

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Is there a more identity-less team in the NHL than the Devils right now? I just can't grasp this team, where they're going, with the players we have etc etc.

I mean...the quality on the team is just not there. They were talking about fast, supportive and attacking. This team is anything but fast, supportive and and attacking....

If you can't see what Shero's plan is, I don't know what to tell you.

Devilswede

Dec 10, 2006
If you can't see what Shero's plan is, I don't know what to tell you.

Nah, right now I really can't. I'm not really sure what the plan is. Shero doesn't have a Crosby and Malkin here. Can't build a winner without top notch talent...

I can't say I'm too optimistic about the future really. Hope I'm wrong.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

Be patient. Help is on the way. McLeod has elite speed and should be here inside 2 years. Speers and Blandisi could be here next year and the each bring energy and speed. We have Hall who has tremendous speed as well as Wood who's the fastest player in the NHL. Zacha is very fast. Santini is a strong skater. Severson is a strong skater.

Bringing in Shattenkirk would help the offense in a big way and support the team identity we're trying to build. It's not all there right now, but we have some pieces in place.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

The team has made one big move and one medium sized move since Shero got here. The big move is dealing Larsson for Hall, the medium move is acquiring Kyle Palmieri. The other moves that don't involve young players stepping on to the roster - the little gambles - have been a mixed bag with more tending to the 'not worked out' side, but that's what you get when you make a bunch of little gambles.

I expect to see more of a shakeup this off-season.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If they don't use their cap space/the expansion draft this offseason to make at least one significant addition (preferably more than one, but that'll depend on what's available in FA) then I'll be joining the pessimist camp with both feet but I think to a degree they're biding their time till then.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
Nah, right now I really can't. I'm not really sure what the plan is. Shero doesn't have a Crosby and Malkin here. Can't build a winner without top notch talent...

Shush. No talking that way on this board. Shero is a God. He's hoarding cap space for the cash he'll never be able to spend and drafting fast players. There is your "plan".

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I just can't fathom how people can't see what the plan is, quite honestly. Its clear as day what the plan is. The plan is to develop a mantra of 'speed kills'. Outworking other teams. Tiring out other teams.

Obviously, we don't have ALL the horses for that yet, but help is on the way. When is the last time we had as much talent in the minors as we do right now?

Obviously, we are going to need some help on the backend, but if we can see that, you don't think Shero can?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Shush. No talking that way on this board. Shero is a God. He's hoarding cap space for the cash he'll never be able to spend and drafting fast players. There is your "plan".

You have yet to provide me with one realistic example of a player that the cap space should have been thrown at the past 2 summers other than Alex Goligoski, who by the way was traded for and never hit the open market.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
The plan is that we're rebuilding. It takes time.

People who don't like it are expecting a quick fix, which rarely works. Shero has made some shrewd trades. He's also been smart to stay away from making big splashes on mediocre UFA when our team is not in a position to compete.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
The clowns mad at Shero not throwing money at mediocre free agents still make me laugh. Because that's what dumb teams do and we were a dumb team in Lou's final years. Red Wings are even worse after that contract to Nielsen. Can't believe this is even a discussion.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
There were no FA's to throw money at the last couple years, or next to none - and there might not be any good ones this year either with this system. But there's other ways to spend/use your cap space too.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
There were no FA's to throw money at the last couple years, or next to none - and there might not be any good ones this year either with this system. But there's other ways to spend/use your cap space too.

I really don't expect us to use our extra second this year. With the expansion draft another Palmieri trade or two seems inevitable.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
If they don't use their cap space/the expansion draft this offseason to make at least one significant addition (preferably more than one, but that'll depend on what's available in FA) then I'll be joining the pessimist camp with both feet but I think to a degree they're biding their time till then.

It's tough because there needs to be a quality FA available for that to happen...

I don't see much in the way of that to help our team.

The improvement has to come from within, and it just has to be young players stepping up and taking bigger roles.

Palms and Rico get crap, but they've taken a step sideways instead of forward this year.
Hall is going to just get comfortable and better.

You know what you get from Greene, Zajac, Camm, Lovejoy.

Zacha, Wood, Speers, McLeod, JQ, Severson, Merrill, Santini - these are the guys that will make or break this team, ultimately - and I guess there is a reason to be ambivalent.

The rest of the team are just gambles - hoping you get a surprise from Bennett, DSP, Moore, Auvitu, Josefson, etc. They have all disappointed in some degree.
Fiddler Kalinin Quincy are the definition of plugs.

I think there is a lot of reasons to be optimistic about that young group. Zacha, Wood, Severson, Santini and Merrill especially. If they continue along their career arc, I think we'll have a nice team in a couple of years.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014

Indeed there are.

What I'm gathering from most everyone else is that the "plan" is to just hoard picks and then make good selections. I imagine there are 29 other GMs who have similar "plans".

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Indeed there are.

What I'm gathering from most everyone else is that the "plan" is to just hoard picks and then make good selections. I imagine there are 29 other GMs who have similar "plans".

Getting picks and avoiding horrible contracts is a good strategy. It's also good to turn second pairing dmen into elite wingers.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009

What's Taylor Hall? He's arguably one of the top three lw in the entire league, he's one of the best drivers of play 5v5 and he's a former first overall pick (since we're having the high end talent/draft pick argument). He's not Crosby, but he's an all-star caliber foward. I'm not sure what you want. If you're looking for a "generational player," it's not going to happen.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
I just can't fathom how people can't see what the plan is, quite honestly. Its clear as day what the plan is. The plan is to develop a mantra of 'speed kills'. Outworking other teams. Tiring out other teams.

Obviously, we don't have ALL the horses for that yet, but help is on the way. When is the last time we had as much talent in the minors as we do right now?

Obviously, we are going to need some help on the backend, but if we can see that, you don't think Shero can?

So go after the speed and workers, puck movers will skill
Duchene check some of those boxes no?
Slepyshev from Edm 6'2 RW with wheels playing deep down Edm lineup, Throw them a Quincey or JJ or similar for their playoff run expansion exempt. I'm willing to take on the risk for the upside
Petan from Winny, on the small side, but plays big and flies
See if you can get Det to let go of AA, probably not but that's kinda stuff I think we should be looking at. Move PAP and others for best picks possible of young players exempt from LV

Id put Duclair in there as well. Kids going to bounce back and who will beneft?

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Indeed there are.

Please tell me who was available that was worth tossing money at that can be apart of a long term plan.

This is only his second season as the GM and you're already whining like he has had 6-8 years of turning things around.

You build teams through the draft. If you are lucky you can trade for a top 10 player at their position. So far he has drafted really solid players and he traded for one of the top 3-5 left wingers in the game.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I don't get how people can ignore the young talent we have right now.

Promising kids in the NHL. Promising kids in the AHl.
Promising kids in Juniors/College

And these aren't bottom 6 grinders. We have some legit talent.

There still isn't much to use our cap space on. Shatty is really it.

One of the most important things for our cap space will be backing the money truck up for Hall in a few years.

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
So go after the speed and workers, puck movers will skill
Duchene check some of those boxes no?
Slepyshev from Edm 6'2 RW with wheels playing deep down Edm lineup, Throw them a Quincey or JJ or similar for their playoff run expansion exempt. I'm willing to take on the risk for the upside
Petan from Winny, on the small side, but plays big and flies
See if you can get Det to let go of AA, probably not but that's kinda stuff I think we should be looking at. Move PAP and others for best picks possible of young players exempt from LV

Id put Duclair in there as well. Kids going to bounce back and who will beneft?

Smitty and Slepyshev sitting in a tree,
K I S S I N G...

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I don't get how people can ignore the young talent we have right now.

Promising kids in the NHL. Promising kids in the AHl.
Promising kids in Juniors/College

And these aren't bottom 6 grinders. We have some legit talent.

There still isn't much to use our cap space on. Shatty is really it.

One of the most important things for our cap space will be backing the money truck up for Hall in a few years.

Don't forget the kids in europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad