Devils 2016-17 team discussion (player news and notes) - Part X

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
I would think a 30 point player like PAP could return a 3rd. It's probably not worth it to take less. Now granted defenseman are at a premium in trade around the league but I was surprised we got a 3rd for Gelinas without too much fuss and all he's got is a bomb slapshot.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
What the hell is with you guys today digging up all this old crap?

Kovy does not play for this team or in the NHL. This thread is for discussion of the current NJ Devils.

I don't think the Kovy talk is going to die unless he stops playing.

It would be interesting in a year's time when he turns 35 and can return to NHL without restrictions. There would be plenty of discussion about him around that time.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I would think a 30 point player like PAP could return a 3rd. It's probably not worth it to take less. Now granted defenseman are at a premium in trade around the league but I was surprised we got a 3rd for Gelinas without too much fuss and all he's got is a bomb slapshot.

We got a 3rd for the draft the following year. Obviously less valuable at that time than a third in the upcoming draft.

Lucky for the Devils, with Colorado being awful this year, it's likely going to be the first pick in the third round.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I don't think Shero would, he kind of proved that with Schlemko last year - he's not taking below market value just to get anything back.

And that's presuming we even trade him, if we're still on a playoff border I expect Shero to stand pat and not dump off.

4th round pick might be market value for him. He's one dimensional and streaky. There's a reason he never sticks anywhere. Perhaps Shero wanted to resign Schlemko and that's why he didn't deal him. Who knows, but I don't think that situation has much to do with this.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
4th round pick might be market value for him. He's one dimensional and streaky. There's a reason he never sticks anywhere. Perhaps Shero wanted to resign Schlemko and that's why he didn't deal him. Who knows, but I don't think that situation has much to do with this.

I think resigning Schlemko was why he didn't trade him.

We needed defensive and he fit in well. I don't think Parenteau is in our long-term plans so if a third comes our way, I wouldn't be surprised to see Shero take it.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I'm not sure I'd trade picks for Jurco, a la Bennett. I'm not sure what Detroit is in the market for, but if they're interested in swapping Jurco for one of our meh fourth liners one-for-one (say, DSP), I'd be open to it.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
Jurco is done, I was kinda interested last year but he is what he is. I'd rather see some of our guys in Albany.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
We need to throw the Gazdic-Fiddler-Kalinin line in the trash. Wouldn't mind if each one of them was gone. Gazdic to Albany. Fiddler traded for anything. Kalinin to the pine.

Bring up Blandisi. Bring up Coleman. Bring up JQ or Pietila.

Hall-Zajac-Palmieri
Wood-Henrique-PAP
Zacha-JJ-Cammalleri
Blandisi/JQ-Coleman-Bennett

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
We've recently seen some really good strides in our young guys. Wood is looking very solid, Zacha has been playing his best hockey of the year, Santini looks very solid, Severson has taken a big jump offensively and defensively. I don't think this was ever really about getting far in the playoffs. It's a transition year and Shero's move reflect this.

His 1-year signings:
Parenteau
Fiddler
Quincey
Gazdic

Those guys will all likely be gone next year and replaced by young guys ready to make that jump next year but weren't ready this year. We have probably 5-6 guy ready coming up and a few right on the edge.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
We've recently seen some really good strides in our young guys. Wood is looking very solid, Zacha has been playing his best hockey of the year, Santini looks very solid, Severson has taken a big jump offensively and defensively. I don't think this was ever really about getting far in the playoffs. It's a transition year and Shero's move reflect this.

His 1-year signings:
Parenteau
Fiddler
Quincey
Gazdic

Those guys will all likely be gone next year and replaced by young guys ready to make that jump next year but weren't ready this year. We have probably 5-6 guy ready coming up and a few right on the edge.

You're going to know when Shero is committed when he starts spending actually money in free agency.

Instead of signing guys like Parenteau, Schlemko, Quincey, he's going to go after the better players in free agency. The guys that require more AAV and longer term. Makes little sense to acquire those guys now and strap yourself to a long contract.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I would love to trade a few picks for Dmitrij Jaskin and Victor Arvidsson. Arvidsson may be exposed due to Nashville's depth and Jaskin is buried but has fantastic numbers.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
With Noesen now in the mix, I have zero interest in Jurco.

Well that goes without saying. Noesen being a right-handed shot versus Jurco being a left-handed shot definitely makes Noesen more interesting and a better fit.

If anything, it has to beat seeing Kalinin, Gazdic, or DSP on the fourth line.

I would love to trade a few picks for Dmitrij Jaskin and Victor Arvidsson. Arvidsson may be exposed due to Nashville's depth and Jaskin is buried but has fantastic numbers.

I doubt the expose Arvidsson, he's been the best forward for the Predators this year.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Arvidsson is not going to be exposed. If Nashville protects 8 skaters, they'll protect him, Neal, Forsberg, Johansen, Ellis, Ekholm, Subban, Josi. Craig Smith or Colin Wilson on the other hand could be interesting options.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
Not surprised we claimed Noesen, with the trade deadline approaching it gives us an extra warm body to replace anyone we trade away (Parenteau most likely) while leaving Albanys roster intact for their playoff push.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Not surprised we claimed Noesen, with the trade deadline approaching it gives us an extra warm body to replace anyone we trade away (Parenteau most likely) while leaving Albanys roster intact for their playoff push.

Costs no assets. Young RW with some potential.

Our RW depth right now in the organization is Palmieri - Parenteau - Bennett - DSP - Lappin. Kalinin fills in at RW for the NHL team and Pietila does at the AHL level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad