Jersey
Smitty and Slepyshev sitting in a tree,
K I S S I N G...

No kidding!
I love this guy
When they were in town I was not sure what he would be
He had all kinds of jump, went into dirty areas
He's never gonna be malkin but if he's a cheap pickup I love it

I like the Duke too do gotta spread the love. Don't forget that kid in the desert the Rags gave up on!

Last edited:

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
The problem is people see the 4-5 years without the playoffs, and they want to somehow believe that it means we NEED to be there this year.

you have to remember that SHero took over about 19 months ago. THATS what we have to judge him on.

If you are upset with where the team is right now, that blame should be directed to Lou

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
I'm pretty happy with where things are right now considering the state of the team when Shero took over.

We have a very strong prospect pool, sure it lacks a true game-breaking talent, but outside of picking in the top 3 those are hard to come by; our new scouting staff has a promising record of finding talent in the later rounds and we've already seen some really encouraging signs from guys like Gignac, Anderson & Rykov, hopefully they can continue to exceed expectations.

While i'm aware that none of our current prospects project to be elite point-per-game players, many of them already look like they're en route to being solid NHLers that can form the backbone of our team for years to come; Quenneville, Speers, Wood, Zacha & Santini have all had at least a couple of games at the NHL level and not looked at all out of place which is encouraging given their respective ages.

Add in to the mix the plethora of extra draft picks we have; essentially 3 second round picks this year because Colorado's third is going to be the first or second pick in the third round, plus Florida's second and Toronto's third next year (in addition to all of our own picks) and anything we can get for the likes of Parenteau/Quincey at next months deadline, we're in a pretty strong position.

We have a ton of flexibility in terms of the cap and haven't made the mistake of overpaying for mediocre UFA's. If an elite talent does make it to UFA i'm sure we'll absolutely try to sign them, but otherwise I much prefer our current approach of one year veteran band-aids while we wait for our cost-controlled prospects to develop and fill those roles.

Most importantly, we have the assets to capitalize on the trading frenzy that may potentially precede the expansion draft as teams scramble to get assets for valuable players they'd otherwise lose for free.

Let's also not forget that while elite talent is a lot easier to find at the very top of the draft, there are exceptions (Benn in the 5th round, Gaudreau in the 4th round etc, Panarin as a UDFA) and even those elite game-breaking players get traded pretty regularly (Like the one we just acquired in Taylor Hall), it's a lot easier to swing trades for those guys when you have a loaded farm system and a ton of picks.

People need to give it more time and stop expecting miracles overnight, the direction of this team is extremely encouraging given how stagnant and misguided things were at the end of Lou's tenure.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The problem is people see the 4-5 years without the playoffs, and they want to somehow believe that it means we NEED to be there this year.

you have to remember that SHero took over about 19 months ago. THATS what we have to judge him on.

If you are upset with where the team is right now, that blame should be directed to Lou

I do think we will need a new coach to put this all together, but it doesn't have to happen right now if Shero doesn't like the other options available.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
I do think we will need a new coach to put this all together, but it doesn't have to happen right now if Shero doesn't like the other options available.

Coaching in the NHL is a game of musical chairs at this point anyway, better to stick with Hynes until the end of the year and readdress it in the off-season if someone more established becomes available.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
This team without a doubt still needs a legitimate top 6 forward. Still a few. We really only have one guy that I'm really confident in this organization that is one in Hall. I do think Zacha will be and I think Zajac is a great #2 Center right now. But this team still needs wings.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Palmieri is a top 6 player no matter what kind of fancy stats you want to throw at me

if you can put up 50 points consistently (hes on pace for around there again this year), you're a top 6 player.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Since Shero took over the team, he has done nothing but good things.

Palmieri trade was a huge plus for the team. He's one of the best 2RW in the league.

Hall - Larsson trade has set us back temporarily (IMO) but it will be a huge bonus once the defense core is figured out. Its a mess right now.

I like the McLeod pick as of now. Obviously was praying for Keller to fall to us.

Bastian, Anderson, Speers, Gignac, Rykov, and Blackwood all look like they have NHL careers ahead of them. what kind of career remains to be seen.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Palmieri is a top 6 player no matter what kind of fancy stats you want to throw at me

if you can put up 50 points consistently (hes on pace for around there again this year), you're a top 6 player.

So is Rico and Zajac is as well even if people want to pretend he isn't. We absolutely have top 6 talent and a good amount of prospects that should be top 6 as well.

We need another top 3 talent to go with Hall. That is different. Zacha could be that. Some of the other kids might. We shall see there.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Since Shero took over the team, he has done nothing but good things.

Palmieri trade was a huge plus for the team. He's one of the best 2RW in the league.

Hall - Larsson trade has set us back temporarily (IMO) but it will be a huge bonus once the defense core is figured out. Its a mess right now.

I like the McLeod pick as of now. Obviously was praying for Keller to fall to us.

Bastian, Anderson, Speers, Gignac, Rykov, and Blackwood all look like they have NHL careers ahead of them. what kind of career remains to be seen.

Blender and JQ are two more promising players with NHL futures as well.

We also have Zacha, Wood, and Santini all in the NHL showing lots of promise.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
as I've said a few times, I think what we need to add to our current forward corps is a legit RW1. If we can get that, I like our forward corps going forward with what we have in the pipeline

D is a different story.

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
So is Rico and Zajac is as well even if people want to pretend he isn't. We absolutely have top 6 talent and a good amount of prospects that should be top 6 as well.

We need another top 3 talent to go with Hall. That is different. Zacha could be that. Some of the other kids might. We shall see there.

Agreed, though I think the day Zajac is the permanent 3C is the day the Devils are contending for the Cup again.

I don't want to bring him into the conversation, but Kovalchuk could be that top 3 talent if he really wants to come back to the NHL next season. Even if he'll be 34, he's still a stud and we have his rights.

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
as I've said a few times, I think what we need to add to our current forward corps is a legit RW1. If we can get that, I like our forward corps going forward with what we have in the pipeline

D is a different story.

Eh, Devils right side is weak but I think thats the least of the problem. I think the Devils are in DESPERATE need of a true #1 D and a true #1 C. and those are the two hardest assets in the NHL to acquire. Thats what worries me.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

D is a different story.

We need another LD so we can shift Merrill and Greene down. It would sort a lot of the problems out since Santini looks like the real deal on the right side.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
I couldn't disagree more, but I won't be able to convince you guys. If we had all these top 6 forwards our offense wouldn't stink every single year. Zajac I really think is a top 6 forward, the others are very questionable and would need to be in positions that suit to their strengths.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005

Eh. he couldn't break through in Anaheim on the upper lines. He's kind of a tweener in that he's not top six but also not checking line.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Why do we always try to force cross-crease passes on the PP? It's like they're going backdoor or bust.

****ing hammer that thing from the point with traffic in front, you don't get style points for pretty passing plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad