Devils 2016-17 team discussion (player news and notes) - Part X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
Since Shero took over the team, he has done nothing but good things.

Palmieri trade was a huge plus for the team. He's one of the best 2RW in the league.

Hall - Larsson trade has set us back temporarily (IMO) but it will be a huge bonus once the defense core is figured out. Its a mess right now.

I like the McLeod pick as of now. Obviously was praying for Keller to fall to us.

Bastian, Anderson, Speers, Gignac, Rykov, and Blackwood all look like they have NHL careers ahead of them. what kind of career remains to be seen.

This is not true at all.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
Eh. he couldn't break through in Anaheim on the upper lines. He's kind of a tweener in that he's not top six but also not checking line.

Agree with this. He's really not a top 6 forward. His Points/60 on the 5 on 5 is very mediocre and he doesn't drive lines possession wise. He's quite terrible possession wise actually. Could you get by with him as a 2nd line RW if you had a stacked offense? Of course, but the reality is Palmieri brings a lot of players down possession wise on this team.

Think ideally he's a 3rd line RW and good power play guy in an ideal world.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Eh. he couldn't break through in Anaheim on the upper lines. He's kind of a tweener in that he's not top six but also not checking line.

he couldnt break through on the upper lines because Anaheim is stacked with good forwards.

50 points = top 6 player. period.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
Amongst Forwards With 300 Minutes on the 5 on 5:

Palmieri - 228th in Points/60, 322nd in CF%, 294th in CF% RelTM

In what world are those good numbers? Again, he's good on the power play I'll give him that. But he better be the worst forward in the top 6 by a decent amount if you're banking on him being a top 6 forward for a long time.

And I get it, people will just spew out "He's got 50 points you're just being a hater". But if you actually dive into the context, it's clear that his raw point totals are misleading. And if he was this top 2nd line RW, I'm pretty sure our offense would be having more success right now.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
And I know people will call me out for being pessimistic, but I'm really not trying to be. I just think Henrique and Palmieri are very overrated players that do not impact a team nearly as much as their raw point totals suggest they do. If they did, our offense would simply be a lot better than it is.

I still think very highly of certain young players in this team. I really think Zacha is going to turn out into a good player. He's right up there with Zajac in terms of being the best possession center we have in this organization. Could not be happier with how he's playing in terms of creating and suppressing chances. And he's showed me enough to think that the points will start to come especially once he starts playing with better players and matures.

And I think quite highly of Severson as well. I wouldn't trade him for many. He's our best possession defenseman by a long shot and has even shown the ability to carry his partners this year. Does he still make a few mistakes? Sure, but I feel very confident in having him as a top pairing defenseman for years to come. I think he's a bonafide #2 and if you want to be critical I guess you can argue a #3 and at 22 that's very encouraging.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Amongst Forwards With 300 Minutes on the 5 on 5:

Palmieri - 228th in Points/60, 322nd in CF%, 294th in CF% RelTM

In what world are those good numbers? Again, he's good on the power play I'll give him that. But he better be the worst forward in the top 6 by a decent amount if you're banking on him being a top 6 forward for a long time.

And I get it, people will just spew out "He's got 50 points you're just being a hater". But if you actually dive into the context, it's clear that his raw point totals are misleading. And if he was this top 2nd line RW, I'm pretty sure our offense would be having more success right now.

The issue with this is that shows forwards when it was specifically noted that Palmieri is one of the best RWers in the league.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
Severson is not a #2 defenseman. He might turn out to be but he definitely isn't right now. He is a solid middle pairing RHD.

Concur

He's shown flashes but he needs to put it all together.

I have full confidence in this though because he's just 22 years old, and will only keep getting better. Seves is going to be our rock back there soon enough and he's up there will Hall when it comes to players I'm least worried about, excited for his future.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
The issue with this is that shows forwards when it was specifically noted that Palmieri is one of the best RWers in the league.

I mean if Palmieri is outside of the top 200 forwards overall in certain stats, I highly doubt 190 of those forwards are non-RWers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad