Development Camp

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Some people think I'm weird for eating ketchup on sausage and peppers.

I actually prefer brown mustard on it.

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
I loved the development game this year. I went to a couple over the years and I haven't seen skill like this in a long time. My initial reaction to the game was that all the players who were supposed to be great were great. That's not always the case.

I knew this development camp scrimmage would be great, so I brought a notebook and basically did a play by play of what went on. I even included the warmups.

Just to clarify, I am in no ways a scout. I'm just a musician who happens to love doing the eye test on hockey players.

The following is a post of all my combined notes as they pertain to certain players that I noticed. I'll try my best to hit every player in numerical order.

32. Michael Kapla - This was by far the most disappointing player on the ice. Maybe I didn't see him play too much at the end of last season, but I don't remember him being this bad against NHLers, let alone prospects. Kapla got undressed on a couple rushes, one by Sissons and I believe Carpenter. He was also on the ice for the Red team in the final seconds of the game. Down by one goal, Nico and Bratt worked hard on the wall to get the puck, Bratt takes the puck and passes it to a vacant point where Kapla is supposed to be, because Kapla decided to just bolt towards the middle of the ice. There was 13ish seconds left and that pretty much ended any chances of tying it up for the Red team.

33. Nico Hischier - I mean what is there to say that hasn't been said. This kid is the real deal. His edge work is incredible. His vision is amazing. And one other thing for sure: He should never play with Miles Wood on a line ever again. There were multiple opportunities for Nico to get more points, but wasn't able to connect with Wood because Miles was being Miles. I can definitely see why Nico gets tired, that boy gives it all every shift. If he can learn how to pace himself and still use most of that energy then woof. We got ourselves a player. After watching one game, he is absolutely a center. He won't need any time on the wing IMHO. This guy runs the rink. I love it.

34. Steve Santini - A man among boys. He is clearly an NHL ready defenseman. I did notice him joining the rush more and even working down low in the offensive zone. Who knows if the confidence was just because he knew he could destroy anyone on the ice, or that he feels more comfortable in his own ability to contribute. I hope its the latter. I see him taking the next step this season and becoming a true top 4 dman on the right side for us.

37. Pavel Zacha - I would say Zacha may have been the most effective player on the ice today. Obv Hischier was great, but Zacha was incredible. Every time he was on the ice, you could feel something brewing. I was very satisfied to see him do it at the center position. He also seems way more confident, but maybe its the same case as Santini: just knowing they're men among boys in this camp. Zacha's shot is incredible. Even in warmups, he was sniping. He seems to want to be apart of the offense more which is a great sign. I feel like Zacha was his own worst enemy last year in terms of production, and if this game was any indicator of what might happen this season, then we are in for a treat.

41. Mikey McLeod - This game really sold me on McLeod. I feel like at worst his potential is a speed demon version of Zajac. He showcased some great passing but also showed great vision. With his speed, he would always enter the zone first, glance behind him and somehow orchestrate a play with the options that were available. There was one time he entered the zone, slowed down, didn't have any options, and proceeded to just blow by 3 defenders. It was crazy. He showed me a lot more than i thought he was capable of.

42. Nathan Bastian - I didn't notice him as much as others did. He reminds me so much of Steve Bernier in the way he plays and skates. I know he's AHL ready contractually, but another year of junior might also help. Would love to take our time with him.

44. Miles Wood - He had a rough one. Definitely blew a couple opportunities for Nico, but he showed his great speed and tenacity. Only issue is I didn't see any improvement. Hopefully that will change, because right now he will be very easy to figure out soon enough.

45. Joshua Jacobs - I wrote this in my notebook: "Jacobs will never touch NHL ice for any relevant Devils games." I'm only basing this off of what I've seen from Jacobs, and even though its only been a few times, nothing about his game even whispers NHL to me. He's not fast, he doesn't make good choices, he's average positionally, he's not offensively gifted, and he doesn't really even seem strong defensively or strong period. There was a Cangi breakaway and not only did Jacobs get beat because he was out of position and too slow, but he also tried to hook Cangi and just take a penalty but couldn't do that and Cangi (who's easily the smallest on the ice) powered right through it and got a clean chance on goal. Sucks to see a second round pick suck like that. Endless shades of Burlon at best.

48. Yaroslav Dyblenko - Didn't notice him much besides the assist on Bastians goal. Maybe not noticing was a good thing. He did have a couple rushes where I noticed how poised he was with the puck. Nothing popped out to me, but maybe I wasn't looking for it.

49. Joey Anderson - Seems like a great character guy. Positionally was in the right spot on most areas of the ice.

54. Ryan Kujawinski - Crazy to think how many years this kid has been with the Devils and has never gotten a legit chance. It is a lot less crazy when you watch him play though. He wasn't bad, just terribly mediocre and not a real threat at any place of the ice. He's got a good motor, but like Jacobs, I don't see him touching NHL ice with us in any game of relevance.

57. Reilly Walsh - Please don't stay at harvard too long. I think we got a gem. He surprised me the most and left me endlessly feeling better about Jacobs sucking. Sign Walsh ASAP.

I'm getting a little sleepy, so I'll post the rest tomorrow. Cheers.

Zelmo

Jun 18, 2012
Woodstock, GA
I loved the development game this year. I went to a couple over the years and I haven't seen skill like this in a long time. My initial reaction to the game was that all the players who were supposed to be great were great. That's not always the case.

I knew this development camp scrimmage would be great, so I brought a notebook and basically did a play by play of what went on. I even included the warmups.

Just to clarify, I am in no ways a scout. I'm just a musician who happens to love doing the eye test on hockey players.

The following is a post of all my combined notes as they pertain to certain players that I noticed. I'll try my best to hit every player in numerical order.

32. Michael Kapla - This was by far the most disappointing player on the ice. Maybe I didn't see him play too much at the end of last season, but I don't remember him being this bad against NHLers, let alone prospects. Kapla got undressed on a couple rushes, one by Sissons and I believe Carpenter. He was also on the ice for the Red team in the final seconds of the game. Down by one goal, Nico and Bratt worked hard on the wall to get the puck, Bratt takes the puck and passes it to a vacant point where Kapla is supposed to be, because Kapla decided to just bolt towards the middle of the ice. There was 13ish seconds left and that pretty much ended any chances of tying it up for the Red team.

33. Nico Hischier - I mean what is there to say that hasn't been said. This kid is the real deal. His edge work is incredible. His vision is amazing. And one other thing for sure: He should never play with Miles Wood on a line ever again. There were multiple opportunities for Nico to get more points, but wasn't able to connect with Wood because Miles was being Miles. I can definitely see why Nico gets tired, that boy gives it all every shift. If he can learn how to pace himself and still use most of that energy then woof. We got ourselves a player. After watching one game, he is absolutely a center. He won't need any time on the wing IMHO. This guy runs the rink. I love it.

34. Steve Santini - A man among boys. He is clearly an NHL ready defenseman. I did notice him joining the rush more and even working down low in the offensive zone. Who knows if the confidence was just because he knew he could destroy anyone on the ice, or that he feels more comfortable in his own ability to contribute. I hope its the latter. I see him taking the next step this season and becoming a true top 4 dman on the right side for us.

37. Pavel Zacha - I would say Zacha may have been the most effective player on the ice today. Obv Hischier was great, but Zacha was incredible. Every time he was on the ice, you could feel something brewing. I was very satisfied to see him do it at the center position. He also seems way more confident, but maybe its the same case as Santini: just knowing they're men among boys in this camp. Zacha's shot is incredible. Even in warmups, he was sniping. He seems to want to be apart of the offense more which is a great sign. I feel like Zacha was his own worst enemy last year in terms of production, and if this game was any indicator of what might happen this season, then we are in for a treat.

41. Mikey McLeod - This game really sold me on McLeod. I feel like at worst his potential is a speed demon version of Zajac. He showcased some great passing but also showed great vision. With his speed, he would always enter the zone first, glance behind him and somehow orchestrate a play with the options that were available. There was one time he entered the zone, slowed down, didn't have any options, and proceeded to just blow by 3 defenders. It was crazy. He showed me a lot more than i thought he was capable of.

42. Nathan Bastian - I didn't notice him as much as others did. He reminds me so much of Steve Bernier in the way he plays and skates. I know he's AHL ready contractually, but another year of junior might also help. Would love to take our time with him.

44. Miles Wood - He had a rough one. Definitely blew a couple opportunities for Nico, but he showed his great speed and tenacity. Only issue is I didn't see any improvement. Hopefully that will change, because right now he will be very easy to figure out soon enough.

45. Joshua Jacobs - I wrote this in my notebook: "Jacobs will never touch NHL ice for any relevant Devils games." I'm only basing this off of what I've seen from Jacobs, and even though its only been a few times, nothing about his game even whispers NHL to me. He's not fast, he doesn't make good choices, he's average positionally, he's not offensively gifted, and he doesn't really even seem strong defensively or strong period. There was a Cangi breakaway and not only did Jacobs get beat because he was out of position and too slow, but he also tried to hook Cangi and just take a penalty but couldn't do that and Cangi (who's easily the smallest on the ice) powered right through it and got a clean chance on goal. Sucks to see a second round pick suck like that. Endless shades of Burlon at best.

48. Yaroslav Dyblenko - Didn't notice him much besides the assist on Bastians goal. Maybe not noticing was a good thing. He did have a couple rushes where I noticed how poised he was with the puck. Nothing popped out to me, but maybe I wasn't looking for it.

49. Joey Anderson - Seems like a great character guy. Positionally was in the right spot on most areas of the ice.

54. Ryan Kujawinski - Crazy to think how many years this kid has been with the Devils and has never gotten a legit chance. It is a lot less crazy when you watch him play though. He wasn't bad, just terribly mediocre and not a real threat at any place of the ice. He's got a good motor, but like Jacobs, I don't see him touching NHL ice with us in any game of relevance.

57. Reilly Walsh - Please don't stay at harvard too long. I think we got a gem. He surprised me the most and left me endlessly feeling better about Jacobs sucking. Sign Walsh ASAP.

This is awesome (except about Jacobs. Was hoping he'd be a good surprise). Thank you. I'm looking forward to the rest of your observations.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey

Thanks for making such a detailed post. It was an interesting read.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
How well attended were these open sessions? Sounded like the place was packed.

But I was thinking, instead of attending the Buffalo prospect tourney, why not host our own in the future, 4 team tourney. Dev's Rag's Philly Isles'.

I think that would draw pretty well. At least to the point of filling the lower bowl, and close off the top like they do for Seton Hall.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007

Thanks for the read... disappointing with Kapla... was hoping he could be a camp surprise but maybe just had a bad day..

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I had a blast yesterday and can't thank the STH who offered their tickets up enough. Such a cool experience to get this close to the future of our team. My buddy and I just stood behind the glass on the white team's side, so we got some great glimpses of Nico's stick handling and Wood crashing into the end boards. :laugh: All in all, a very good day.

I mentioned it in his own thread, but the stand out to me outside of the top tier prospects was Reilly Walsh. Not that he just scored two goals, but that he seemed to be very poised and make smart decisions on when to pinch and when to hold back. Skates and moves the puck very fluidly. I'll be keeping an eye on him this year for sure.

You can also see from a basic hockey sense standpoint why Nikita Popugaev was touted highly. He knows instinctively to use that giant frame of his with the puck, doesn't rush to make decisions and takes his time in shielding the defenders away. I was impressed with his passing, thought he made quite a few nice plays. I'm really intrigued with the potential steal that we have in him.

I do think the guys gassed themselves out pretty early on in the scrimmage and the pace of play came to a halt in the 2nd half. However, in the first half, I thought Blake Speers looked great. Tenacious on the puck, active stick, quick hands, showed a lot of positive aspects. He played like he was looking to make a statement as to why the coaching staff kept him around at the beginning of last year.

I think it's been echoed above, and obviously there hasn't been much activity since the end of the season, but I do hope Wood starts to season his game. It's a scrimmage so I tend not to overreact but you still see the same blemishes in his game. His blazing speed is still electric, but I hope he works on his edges and puck handling up until training camp.

All that said, a really fun time yesterday. I think our young core of Nico, Zacha, McLeod and Santini are significant building blocks for us to move forward on. Each of them have a skill set that clearly puts them ahead talent wise of the majority of the prospects we've had in recent years. It's a really exciting time for the team.

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
Has anyone here paid attention to Gilles Senn? I know goalies are hard to judge and even harder in these kind of scrimmages...

I got high hopes for him, as he took huge steps last year.
He was outstanding towards the end of the year and in the playoffs.
Will now be the clear #1 on one of the best swiss teams when it comes go goaltenders.
Hiller, Berra, Genoni all went through the same system.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Has anyone here paid attention to Gilles Senn? I know goalies are hard to judge and even harder in these kind of scrimmages...

I got high hopes for him, as he took huge steps last year.
He was outstanding towards the end of the year and in the playoffs.
Will now be the clear #1 on one of the best swiss teams when it comes go goaltenders.
Hiller, Berra, Genoni all went through the same system.

He didn't play that spectacularly, but I don't know how fair it is to judge his play at this camp when he wasn't supposed to play because of injury. Don't know he was at 100%.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Apparently they're not putting it up this year.

just wanted to comment on what a joke that is. it should have been streamed, or at least made available after the fact. seeing some highlights was nice, but we have a 1st overall pick that they've spent weeks hyping...what a boneheaded move. 1 step forward, 2 steps back.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
How well attended were these open sessions? Sounded like the place was packed.

But I was thinking, instead of attending the Buffalo prospect tourney, why not host our own in the future, 4 team tourney. Dev's Rag's Philly Isles'.

I think that would draw pretty well. At least to the point of filling the lower bowl, and close off the top like they do for Seton Hall.

They were both pretty crowded but the ones in the past have been as well. I'm sure the 4 team tourney would do well if they ever did something like that, especially if it was advertised to season ticket holders of all 4 teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad