Detroit Red Wings 23/24 season thread

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
This is it for me, it's not the fact of missing the playoffs in the last stretch. It was being up EIGHT points a month ago and then only winning 3 out of the next 13 games.

It was a super collapse. They couldn't even go .400, hell didn't even go .300.
1711559860991.png

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I m not so sure that was the goal, when you have a #1 C in his prime, trade for Debrincat, add a bunch of vets, sign Kane you are thinking playoffs, whether you publicize it or not.

Sign a supposed 2C two years in row (lol), a second pair D, trade for a third pair D, sign 2 other UFA D, sign 2 backup goalies, bury the best 2 prospects in the AHL, sign Super Sprong, and only made one trade at the deadline selling a spare part. Definitely sounds like one of these deals where you lowball the actual goal so you don't have to admit failure.

Aside from DBoss, Ray, Mo, Ed, and Walman this team is a hodgepodge of overpaid mediocre (or worse) spare parts that nobody else wanted.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I m not so sure that was the goal, when you have a #1 C in his prime, trade for Debrincat, add a bunch of vets, sign Kane you are thinking playoffs, whether you publicize it or not.
So because Larkin *exists* the goal was playoffs? Weird logic. Debrincat is signed for 3 more years and signing Kane for cheap was attractive even if it ended with him unable to make a comeback or traded at the TDL.
I’m not saying playoffs wasn’t/isn’t a hope, but it was never an all-in type deal. These games are just as important as ~4-7 playoff games.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
So because Larkin *exists* the goal was playoffs? Weird logic. Debrincat is signed for 3 more years and signing Kane for cheap was attractive even if it ended with him unable to make a comeback or traded at the TDL.
I’m not saying playoffs wasn’t/isn’t a hope, but it was never an all-in type deal. These games are just as important as ~4-7 playoff games.
The goal was 100% at minimum to challenge for a playoff spot, it is not disputable...

We loaded up deliberately and intentionally with experienced veterans, foresaking all rookies...

I do not believe for a second that SY wanted the team to just "be around" a playoff spot, nor any of the vets in that locker room.

The expectation was not some deep playoff run, but a home playoff game at LCA, absolutely...

Reactions: DoMakc

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The goal was 100% at minimum to challenge for a playoff spot, it is not disputable...

We loaded up deliberately and intentionally with experienced veterans, foresaking all rookies...

I do not believe for a second that SY wanted the team to just "be around" a playoff spot, nor any of the vets in that locker room.

The expectation was not some deep playoff run, but a home playoff game at LCA, absolutely...
Well if the goal was to challenge for a playoff spot, then we met that goal, since we will be doing that til the very last game of the season. (Your first sentence and third sentence in your post are pretty conflicting here)

If we were absolutely hellbent on making the playoffs like you suggest then how come we made 0 additions at the deadline? That part doesn't really add up.

The main reason we loaded up on veterans was because we had a boatload of cap space and used it to make reasonable signings that were largely positive to the team (Sprong, Ghost, Compher). I would agree we went a bit overboard with the amount of players we added, specifically on the back end. But the alternative would have been to have like 20 or 30 million in cap space and not sign those players, and I don't think any GM is going to do that.

Reactions: Winger98

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Well if the goal was to challenge for a playoff spot, then we met that goal, since we will be doing that til the very last game of the season. (Your first sentence and third sentence in your post are pretty conflicting here)

If we were absolutely hellbent on making the playoffs like you suggest then how come we made 0 additions at the deadline? That part doesn't really add up.

The main reason we loaded up on veterans was because we had a boatload of cap space and used it to make reasonable signings that were largely positive to the team (Sprong, Ghost, Compher). I would agree we went a bit overboard with the amount of players we added, specifically on the back end. But the alternative would have been to have like 20 or 30 million in cap space and not sign those players, and I don't think any GM is going to do that.

I think being able to start slow walking the prospects a bit and allowing our system to gain some depth was a part of the decision, too. We don't start slowing things down a bit and we end up having to throw prospects into the lineup whether we think they're ready or not because we just don't have any other options.

I think it also helps establish a better culture in GR, with our prospects down there actually succeeding. Which I think is only going to help them and the organization in the long run.

Reactions: SirloinUB

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

Yeah having re-read what I wrote the confusion is evident...my bad

I dont believe we made all those veteran signing and zero rookies in the lineup if the goal was not making the playoffs..

The reason behind that goal dosent really matter...

Why did we not make any moves at the TDL...? I dont know but I said it at the time and still feel today that it was a mistake...

I am glad to see that we are "in a playoff battle " in late March, but if they fall out due to lousy play the last 35 days of the season then that's not a success whatsoever and the decisions made since last July at least questioned.

I think being able to start slow walking the prospects a bit and allowing our system to gain some depth was a part of the decision, too. We don't start slowing things down a bit and we end up having to throw prospects into the lineup whether we think they're ready or not because we just don't have any other options.

I think it also helps establish a better culture in GR, with our prospects down there actually succeeding. Which I think is only going to help them and the organization in the long run.
For sure...but what is slowly walking exactly? If the team wasnt floundering 0% chance SE would be up in Detroit this season at all..

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yeah having re-read what I wrote the confusion is evident...my bad

I dont believe we made all those veteran signing and zero rookies in the lineup if the goal was not making the playoffs..

The reason behind that goal dosent really matter...

Why did we not make any moves at the TDL...? I dont know but I said it at the time and still feel today that it was a mistake...

I am glad to see that we are "in a playoff battle " in late March, but if they fall out due to lousy play the last 35 days of the season then that's not a success whatsoever and the decisions made since last July at least questioned.
Yeah, I get some of what you’re saying.

With where everything is sitting, I would have liked to see us make an addition at the deadline. Specifically something like adding Toffoli for what he went for, or a comparable move to that.

You could argue we kind of took a half-measure with adding Ghost/Sprong/Kane and then getting in a playoff spot but not fortifying things at the TDL. To me though that said it’s not a playoffs or just mindset from the front office. But I’m not sure why they would feel that way with where the team was in the standings at the time.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
For sure...but what is slowly walking exactly? If the team wasnt floundering 0% chance SE would be up in Detroit this season at all..

For me, the ideal definition would probably be something along the lines of not being forced to throw a kid into the lineup because of lack of options, while also having the ability to make room if you feel it is necessary. And I think the Wings could have done that if they really wanted Ed, Berggren, etc. up to start the season or at any point during it.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Ed is up because Walman is out, and Ghost sucks on the left side even though he's a lefty. Has nothing to do with the team floundering.

We'll see what happens when Walman returns, I'd sit Ghost and have a different lefty play his spot. I don't hate Petry as much as others here.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Well we still haven't won the road since Patty Kane's OT winner on Chelios's jersey retirement night. Feel old yet?

Reactions: Realgud

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
Only 8 teams have allowed more goals in '23-'24.

Up until the collapse the wings were top 8 in goal differential(including top 5 in goals scored for 4 months). Not sure how they fell off the face of the earth. Sure some might say it was inevitable but how come the numbers didn’t fall off until recently.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad