Detroit Red Wings 23/24 season thread

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Up until the collapse the wings were top 8 in goal differential(including top 5 in goals scored for 4 months). Not sure how they fell off the face of the earth. Sure some might say it was inevitable but how come the numbers didn’t fall off until recently.

They played realbad in December and March. Like, really realbad.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Every team has their own ups and downs. Ours aren't any exception.

Larkin was missing on both cases at those bad months. Biggest factor for everything.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
More Czarnik with Cat and Kane?!?! ☹️

Don't know why I thought it would be different.

LOL, Fester has given up on all of the supposed centers except DBoss (Joey, Raz, Copp, Fischer and Compher).

If the team is gonna rely on an AHL center to get the team to the playoffs, then they might as well call up Kasper. (Yup, I just went there.) That is the softest second line in the league.

SwedeChristoffer

Jul 30, 2019
LOL, Fester has given up on all of the supposed centers except DBoss (Joey, Raz, Copp, Fischer and Compher).

If the team is gonna rely on an AHL center to get the team to the playoffs, then they might as well call up Kasper. (Yup, I just went there.) That is the softest second line in the league.
My take on his decision is slightly Different...

I think Lalonde really likes to use a match-up line that goes against the oppositions best line.

For a few games now it has been the Perron - Compher- Raymond they went up against both the Panarin line and the Kucherov line.

We have also seen the Rasmussen - Copp - Fischer line being used like this.

I think if the opposition has a 1st line that is speedy/skilled, Lalonde wants to use the Compher line (described above).
If the opposition first line on the other hand is big /physical (Buffalo with Tuch + Thompson, Washington with Ovie + (Wilson)) he would prefer the Copp line. Unfortunately Ras is Hurt, therefore Compher goes down to that line.

When it comes to center between Cat and Kane, I think he likes to have a speedy center. So either Veleno or Czarnik (if not Larkin). For some reason he didn't like Veleno there.

Personally I wouldn't mind splittring Kane and Cat, no matter what center they seem to be hemmed in their zone a lot.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
My take on his decision is slightly Different...

I think Lalonde really likes to use a match-up line that goes against the oppositions best line.

For a few games now it has been the Perron - Compher- Raymond they went up against both the Panarin line and the Kucherov line.

We have also seen the Rasmussen - Copp - Fischer line being used like this.

I think if the opposition has a 1st line that is speedy/skilled, Lalonde wants to use the Compher line (described above).
If the opposition first line on the other hand is big /physical (Buffalo with Tuch + Thompson, Washington with Ovie + Wilson) he would prefer the Copp line. Unfortunately Ras is Hurt, therefore Compher goes down to that line.

When it comes to center between Cat and Kane, I think he likes to have a speedy center. So either Veleno or Czarnik (if not Larkin). For some reason he didn't like Veleno there.

Personally I wouldn't mind splittring Kane and Cat, no matter what center they seem to be hemmed in their zone a lot.

Joey hasn't been on the same page as Cat and Kane. Compher hasn't been that good either ES. If he had faith in Compher, he'd still be 2C and Joey would be on that 3rd line with Czarnik as 4C where he belongs.

It's ugly any way you slice it. Fortunately, the Caps are also a one line team with questionable goaltending.

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
Tigers come back to get a win in Pittsburgh today. Much like when the Lions Bucs + Red Wings Lightning MOJO worked in our favor, let's hope it does it again Thursday.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Weird to me that they said no deadline moves because big ol depth in AHL instead. But it's Czarnik and ZAR forward wise. Which is not great.

Reading the tea leaves I'd have to guess they think the prospects for center aren't ready to jump to the NHL yet? or at the very least would get murdered at the faceoff dot?

Reactions: JediOrderPizza
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
calling up ZAR is so unbelievably dumb...I hope Berggren becomes a 70 point player on a different team just so Yzerman has to accept the fact that he should have used him differently.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Weird to me that they said no deadline moves because big ol depth in AHL instead. But it's Czarnik and ZAR forward wise. Which is not great.

Yzerman just lies to the fans, and just says what he wants fans to hear. He has no intention of actually doing the things he says, but he just likes lying to us.

It's unfortunate that roughly 40% of Wings fans are Yzerplanners, and refuse to even be slightly critical of his rebuild. These Yzerplanners are fine waiting until 2050 for the Wings to actually be relevant again because their beloved Yzerman is the GM.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Yeah maybe, ZAR is a winger tho and feel like you could just play Kasper or Mazur there? Copp is out tomorrow and ZAR will be on the Czarnik-Fischer line.

Good point. It's such a mixed bag. On the one hand it's a conservative coach move ("I'll take the guy who's less likely to cost us goals") which means they're still trying to make the playoffs.

On the other hand, would it really be sooo insane to bring up a prospect? With Ed they talked about the benefit of having the AHL team play the same systems as the Wings to make the transition easier.

I guess I'll have to see how the lineup shakes out with Copp out and who's going to pick up those 16 minutes, including PK time.

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Yzerman just lies to the fans, and just says what he wants fans to hear. He has no intention of actually doing the things he says, but he just likes lying to us.

It's unfortunate that roughly 40% of Wings fans are Yzerplanners, and refuse to even be slightly critical of his rebuild. These Yzerplanners are fine waiting until 2050 for the Wings to actually be relevant again because their beloved Yzerman is the GM.

Idk man, I see plenty of fans doubting the Yzerplan at the moment. You’ll see even more once this embarrassing collapse is complete

I also mistakenly assumed “depth in gr” meant Edvinsson, Berggren, Kasper, Mazur, etc. Unfortunately we were both wrong about that. Frustrating

It’s a really hard time to be a fan. Looking like 8 years without the playoffs which now includes a historic collapse. All while our head coach makes excuses (honest or not), preaches silver linings and a “process” that has put us in this situation to begin with. But to be fair to Newsy, he made it clear he didn’t expect this team to make the playoffs at the beginning of the year (lmao)

It’s hard not to feel like this organization hasn’t had a backbone for about a decade now. The honeymoon period is over starting next season

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Idk man, I see plenty of fans doubting the Yzerplan at the moment. You’ll see even more once this embarrassing collapse is complete

The problem is that a lot of the players (Copp/Compher/Holl/Chiarot/Husso/Fabbri) are signed for next season so we don't see the team making the next step. Kasper/Danielson/Mazur/Finnie/etc all look like they need another year in GR.

Maybe Stevie comes up with a brilliant trade this offseason, but it's doubtful. Eitehr that or he needs to sign an impact UFA, and I don't see that happening either.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Reading the tea leaves I'd have to guess they think the prospects for center aren't ready to jump to the NHL yet? or at the very least would get murdered at the faceoff dot?
Well if they did...they'd be in good company with the teams NHL centermen given how poorly as a group they seem to have been lately at the faceoff dot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad