Detroit Red Wings 23/24 season thread

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Well, he's no longer the spacegoat because I changed my avatar. Pondering who should be the next spacegoat.

Copp and his line had the best game ever (for them) in a Wings jersey. Raz didn't even have to use his angry face. Fischer looks better on that line than Joey.

Ras had a couple moves to the net where he used his speed and size and showed some skill.

I said out loud "Who the hell is this guy??"

Hopefully he keeps it up.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Ras had a couple moves to the net where he used his speed and size and showed some skill.

I said out loud "Who the hell is this guy??"

Hopefully he keeps it up.

He's gotta get a better shot off when he does it though. Both times he tried to just shove the puck through the goalie. If he could do that move and lift the puck over the leg pads, then he's got something.

One of his major issues is that he's not a natural skater, looks like he didn't practice much over the summer after the injury and regressed badly. If he continues to practice over the summer, he'll be a borderline 2nd line winger next season.

As a trainer for ski instructors, I'm very accustomed to seeing regression during the offseason. Very few people ski over the summer, but not skating is inexcusable for a hockey player.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
He's gotta get a better shot off when he does it though. Both times he tried to just shove the puck through the goalie. If he could do that move and lift the puck over the leg pads, then he's got something.

One of his major issues is that he's not a natural skater, looks like he didn't practice much over the summer after the injury and regressed badly. If he continues to practice over the summer, he'll be a borderline 2nd line winger next season.

As a trainer for ski instructors, I'm very accustomed to seeing regression during the offseason. Very few people ski over the summer, but not skating is inexcusable for a hockey player.

His skating needs to improve for sure, especially strength and balance on his skates. He's never gonna be a bruiser out there but he still looks like Bambi on ice too often.

I feel like if Perron and Rasmussen were on different teams battling for the puck Perron would make him look like a child.

To be clear I'm not advocating to keep Perron next year but I think one of the things he does best is much it up in corners and defend the puck. I'm hoping guys are learning all his tricks before he's gone.

And if itsn't already they should put Ras's locker next to Raymond's and tell him "you need to put in the kind of work this guy did in the offseason."

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
His skating needs to improve for sure, especially strength and balance on his skates. He's never gonna be a bruiser out there but he still looks like Bambi on ice too often.

I feel like if Perron and Rasmussen were on different teams battling for the puck Perron would make him look like a child.

To be clear I'm not advocating to keep Perron next year but I think one of the things he does best is much it up in corners and defend the puck. I'm hoping guys are learning all his tricks before he's gone.

And if itsn't already they should put Ras's locker next to Raymond's and tell him "you need to put in the kind of work this guy did in the offseason."
Skating and strength are gonna be huge for Ras. He definitely looked better in both last year. I'm excited about the possibility of Ras getting that full off season and seeing where he comes in next year. That contract could be an absolute steal quickly if he can just get a little quicker and stronger on his skates.

Perron is who Ras needs to watch and copy along the boards. Even old man Perron destroys Ras strength wise.

Ras's issues with strength and skating honestly just make me appreciate how strong Seider and Ed are even more.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

He did the previous summer, but not last summer. Considering he was skating in a charity event in August, he really doesn't have an excuse for not putting in more work over the summer. He started the season looking like he hadn't skated at all since the injury. That's inexcusable,

Hopefully he realizes the mistake and works hard this summer. I'm not worried about strength training, he needs more work on edgework and stick skills.

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
This year's Wings feel like the 2022 Lions.

Guess that means next year we are going to lose the ECF in 7 games in heartbreaking fashion.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Honestly I'm expecting more rookies which means more growing pains and tougher to make the playoffs. Unless we get a Raymond and Seider level thing. I think the points to make the playoffs will go up next year, Devils will get back into it and the classic one of Buffalo or Ottawa could figure shit out. I'm done expecting Boston to drop as well.

That's why missing this year will hurt.

Reactions: lilidk

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
lalonde shit the bed.png

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
My guess Kasper will play next game

But don't worry we have coach in the system that could take us to play off

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
This year's Wings feel like the 2022 Lions.

Guess that means next year we are going to lose the ECF in 7 games in heartbreaking fashion.

not even remotely close... that was the hottest team in the league to close out the season, felt like we could take on anybody. The Red Wings have been the coldest team in the league to close out the season and we can barely beat columbus.

Reactions: Air Budd Dwyer

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
Why do people think a few playoff games is the be-all-end-all? The goal this season was to play meaningful games this time of year, which they are.

We are and I appreciate your outlook. For me I got my hopes up when they went on that winning streak.

I know in the end it's the same thing but if the Wings had intermixed those wins and losses instead of playing great in Jan and Feb then mostly shitting the bed in March, it would be a lot easier to take where they're at right now and see if they can squeak into the playoffs.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Why do people think a few playoff games is the be-all-end-all? The goal this season was to play meaningful games this time of year, which they are.
We are and I appreciate your outlook. For me I got my hopes up when they went on that winning streak.

I know in the end it's the same thing but if the Wings had intermixed those wins and losses instead of playing great in Jan and Feb then mostly shitting the bed in March, it would be a lot easier to take where they're at right now and see if they can squeak into the playoffs.
How I see the remainder of this season...

1711558085110.png

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl

This is it for me, it's not the fact of missing the playoffs in the last stretch. It was being up EIGHT points a month ago and then only winning 3 out of the next 13 games.

It was a super collapse. They couldn't even go .400, hell didn't even go .300.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad