Rumor: Detroit interested in Brenden Morrow

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Not sure of the context, but this made me laugh. Thanks for that.

Lol.

The ONLY way I'd be ok with Morrow coming here is if we trade some of the bottom end players we have Eaves, Sammy, Tootoo, etc.

And I swear if Gus and Tats don't play...

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
This feels like an "Oh ****, we're losing Cleary, let's hurry up and get his replacement!" move, which is a terrible idea.

We don't have the room, yo.

T Low

Oct 18, 2008
Possibilities?

Helm LTIR
Sammy LTIR
Emmerton waived
Eaves waived

FWIW, Pierre McQuire just said on Team 1040 in Vancouver in between gushing about Detroit s acquisitions, that Helm is back skating and working out with the Grand Rapids kids at the moment.

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013
Sheahan is NOT physical, he is soft why people don't grasp this is beyond me. He'll never have success in detroit unless he plays more physical. He's Franzen without the hands.

MrTaterSalad

May 29, 2011
Why is Holland in on guys like Morrow and Alfredsson but showing little or no interest in guys like Horton, MacArthur and Raymond? While I like the Alfredsson signing, I'm not sure why Kenny is passing on the younger-end talent. Seeing what Horton and MacArthur got, the Wings could have easily matched those offers. Those are the guys I want to be throwing money and commitments at, 30 and under, not 35 and over.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
Why is Holland in on guys like Morrow and Alfredsson but showing little or no interest in guys like Horton, MacArthur and Raymond? While I like the Alfredsson signing, I'm not sure why Kenny is passing on the younger-end talent. Seeing what Horton and MacArthur got, the Wings could have easily matched those offers. Those are the guys I want to be throwing money and commitments at, 30 and under, not 35 and over.

Horton got overpayed, and he didn't want to go to a traditional market. MacArthur and Raymond would have just taken up roster spots that can be given to Nyquist and Tatar.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Sheahan is NOT physical, he is soft why people don't grasp this is beyond me. He'll never have success in detroit unless he plays more physical. He's Franzen without the hands.
Just because a player isn't mean doesn't mean he's soft. Sheahan is big and strong and goes to hard areas. I don't think you've watched him very much.

He'd also be a lot more physical on the wing, I think. He's playing a key role defensively when he's at center and can't afford to take runs at people.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010

Horton wanted to play in a non-traditional hockey market.

Aside from that, he's a huge risk.

MrTaterSalad

May 29, 2011
Horton got overpayed, and he didn't want to go to a traditional market. MacArthur and Raymond would have just taken up roster spots that can be given to Nyquist and Tatar.
5.3 for Horton is not that much of an overpayment really. MacArthur and Raymond could have brought in instead of Alfredsson. Both are younger, cheaper and nearly as productive.

Yzerman1919*

Feb 10, 2013

THIS! After next year if Alfie leaves that is a few million, plus Sammy/Bert and then we have enough $ to make a deal for a better player in a probably better FA market

MrTaterSalad

May 29, 2011
Horton wanted to play in a non-traditional hockey market.

Aside from that, he's a huge risk.
Huge risk? I think his "injury proneness" is getting overblown. The guy had one non-lockout season where he played less than 65 games. He played 46 games and still managed 17 goals and 32 total points. Horton was exactly what we need offensively. First, he's still under 30. Horton also scores from the left side, averages 28 goals and 25 assists per season, isn't afraid to crash the net, plays hard in the corners and battles for loose pucks.

What player better than Nathan Horton are the Wings possibly going to get in a deadline deal or next off-season? Which prospects in the organization play like Horton and can match his level of productivity?

Amyklas

Jul 3, 2013
Huge risk? I think his "injury proneness" is getting overblown. The guy had one non-lockout season where he played less than 65 games. He played 46 games and still managed 17 goals and 32 total points. Horton was exactly what we need offensively. First, he's still under 30. Horton also scores from the left side, averages 28 goals and 25 assists per season, isn't afraid to crash the net, plays hard in the corners and battles for loose pucks.

What player better than Nathan Horton are the Wings possibly going to get in a deadline deal or next off-season? Which prospects in the organization play like Horton and can match his level of productivity?

and yet he signed elsewhere, so why waste time worrying about it?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Someone's got to go if we're signing Morrow. The next move for sure is gonna be some trades.

Yeah I'm fine with this. Holland is stocking up on better players (or hey, if you don't think better they are different players) and going to finally trim some of the fat from the team.

We all thought it was a foregone conclusion at least two of Brunner, Filppula, and Cleary would be back, but here we are. And suddenly it doesn't look like any of the bottom 6 guys are safe, save Helm and Abdelkader.

1st Line Interloper

Will Drop the Gloves
May 4, 2013
5.3 for Horton is not that much of an overpayment really. MacArthur and Raymond could have brought in instead of Alfredsson. Both are younger, cheaper and nearly as productive.

I don't know much about MacArthur, I heard he had a bad year but is a good two way player but that's it. I know that Horton wasn't going to sign here because he's looking for a place to settle down and have a quiet life. I don't think Kenny wasn't going to offer that term either.

Raymond, you have to be joking. I'd take Brunner at 2.5 million over him. Raymond has had chances to play with the Sedins (elite setup guys themselves) and hasn't produced.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Interesting quote.

Bob Duff ‏@asktheduffer 3m
#redwings Holland on his roster: "This is going to be a work in progress over the summer."

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Interesting quote.

Bob Duff ‏@asktheduffer 3m
#redwings Holland on his roster: "This is going to be a work in progress over the summer."

Reeeeeaaallly? I kind of expected, "We're done! Now everybody grab a weapon and fight for your spot in camp."

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013
I think there's another ufa signing, this time a guy who'll provide some grit. If Cleary leaves I'm thinking Iginla until he signs elsewhere

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad