Rumor: Detroit interested in Brenden Morrow

RedWingsNow*

The look of the roster, I think, depends on whether we get our "tough guy" or not. If we do, Tootoo, Emmerton, and Quincey goes while Bert likely gets bought out. If not, what you see is what you're likely gonna get.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Daniel Alfredsson ($5.500m)
Tomas Tatar ($0.840m) / Stephen Weiss ($4.900m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)
Brenden Morrow ($3.000m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Mikael Samuelsson ($3.000m)
Gustav Nyquist ($1.750m) / Joakim Andersson ($1.500m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m)
Drew Miller ($1.350m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)
DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)
Danny DeKeyser ($1.350m) / Brendan Smith ($2.000m)
Douglas Murray ($1.500m) / Jakub Kindl ($2.400m)
Brian Lashoff ($0.725m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)
Petr Mrazek ($0.790m)
OTHER
Buyout: Todd Bertuzzi ($0.625m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,384,545; BONUSES: $3,205,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $1,120,455

Using the same guys:
Zetterberg Datsyuk Morrow
Franzen Weiss Alfredsson
Nyquist Andersson Tatar
Abdelkader Helm Miller

I only wish it was Grabovski instead of Weiss.

Franzen Zetterberg Alfredsson
Grabovski Datsyuk Morrow
then the bottom two lines

How much ****tier does that look when it's
Weiss Datsyuk Morrow... A lot ****tier.

Like I speculated ... old fart Holland wasn't agile enough to change his gameplan.

He probably identified Weiss early and never considered changing for Grabo.
And we're less dangerous because of it.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I get this feeling edler is still our #1 target

it wasnt just rumoured it was reported as being true that we made an official offer

we acquired a #2 centre in weiss and signed him for five years

we signed Glendening(sp)

perhaps the Canucks wanted a centre prospect like Sheahan as part of the pckg

something around Quincey plus Sheahan plus another prospect plus a pick?

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Using the same guys:
Franzen Weiss Alfredsson
Nyquist Andersson Tatar
Abdelkader Helm Miller

Grabovski Datsyuk Morrow

Like I speculated ... old fart Holland wasn't agile enough to change his gameplan.

I dont think Grabo fits our team well

he is known to be a bit of a head case, run ins with teammates and coaches, slams carlyle in the media in an expletive laiden rant , is not a play making centre whatsoever

no desire for grabovoski whatsoever

crashman

it wasnt just rumoured it was reported as being true that we made an official offer

we signed Glendening(sp)

It would take a lot more than that. More like Tatar, Smith +. Top paring d-men are the hottest commodity in the league, they don't come cheap.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI

we signed Glendening(sp)

Since we're signing guys and Kenny is in all aggressive mode, might as well give Vancouver Quincy, Sheahan and a 1st. Get Pavel, Z and Alfie that cup. Even then we aren't guarenteed to win. Pittsburgh found that out. I'm not good at value, so yell at me if you want lol. Gillis wanted the world for Luongo, so who knows what it'll take to get Edler... especially since he has a good valued contract.

I think we should be patient and hope our young defenseive prospects mature.

Last edited:

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
It would take a lot more than that. More like Tatar, Smith +. Top paring d-men are the hottest commodity in the league, they don't come cheap.

it took alot less to get Ryan and he to some has more value and upside then Edler

I am sure it would cost more then what i wrote but dont think it would be two top prospects

yave1964

22 and counting
Mar 22, 2013
Lexington ohio
Since we're signing guys and Kenny is in all aggressive mode, might as well give Vancouver Quincy, Sheahan and a 1st. Get Pavel, Z and Alfie that cup. Even then we aren't guarenteed to win. Pittsburgh found that out. I'm not good at value, so yell at me if you want lol. Gillis wanted the world for Luongo, so who knows what it'll take to get Edler... especially since he has a good valued contract.

I think we should be patient and hope our young defenseive prospects mature.

Moot point with Edler his no trade clause kicked in so he is not moving. Edler would have been great but there are a ton of UFAs laying out there with low risk, medium reward written all over them without having to give up Tatar or Smith. Guys like Kuba and Douglas Murray can be had for nothing except the long green.

Now am I saying Murray is equal to Edler? No that would be stupid. But given the choice between an Edler or Murray, Tatar and Smith give me the later trio all day long. To get a number one blue liner those two would likely have to be the return. Just sign the best veteran UFA and be done.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Moot point with Edler his no trade clause kicked in so he is not moving. Edler would have been great but there are a ton of UFAs laying out there with low risk, medium reward written all over them without having to give up Tatar or Smith. Guys like Kuba and Douglas Murray can be had for nothing except the long green.

Now am I saying Murray is equal to Edler? No that would be stupid. But given the choice between an Edler or Murray, Tatar and Smith give me the later trio all day long. To get a number one blue liner those two would likely have to be the return. Just sign the best veteran UFA and be done.

to be fair, with team sweeden here in motown getting edler to waive his NTC would be a piece of cake

Amyklas

Jul 3, 2013
Using the same guys:
Franzen Weiss Alfredsson
Nyquist Andersson Tatar
Abdelkader Helm Miller

Grabovski Datsyuk Morrow

Yeah, couldn't have anything to do with how Grabo went off in the media. Detroit LOVES head cases huh? And Morrow hasn't signed with the Wings, so try ranting about something in reality

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Using the same guys:
Franzen Weiss Alfredsson
Nyquist Andersson Tatar
Abdelkader Helm Miller

Grabovski Datsyuk Morrow

Looks like no other manager in the league was all over Grabovski either today. The Wings made the right move and it's really not even debatable.

Sergei DRW

Nov 17, 2010
no, that was last summer when Parise and Suter went Wild

Minny severely overpaid for both of them, which took them right out of any contention for Stanley Cup.
Have you seen how the Hawks steamrolled them in the play-offs with Parise and Suter in the lineup?

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Minny severely overpaid for both of them, which took them right out of any contention for Stanley Cup.
Have you seen how the Hawks steamrolled them in the play-offs with Parise and Suter in the lineup?

I'd pay Suter that money, tbh. Parise on the other hand, ... not so much.

But I was just making a joke.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
Samuelsson will be healthy at some point. Then do a normal buyout.

That would leave 1 million caphit for 2 seasons. We can shed 2 millions that way off the cap.

Buyouts CAN NOT happen outside of the buyout period. At all. The window in which Samuelsson could be bought out has passed. It's not happening.

http://www.capgeek.com/faq/how-do-buyouts-work

The buyout period typically begins the later of June 15 or 48 hours after the Stanley Cup Final ends and concludes on June 30. In 2013, it begins 48 hours after the Final ends and concludes on July 4 at 5 p.m.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
I don't think that that is true. The FAQ I posted above is for regular buy outs. The FAQ states:

When a player is bought out, the team still takes a cap hit for the player over a period of twice the remaining length of the contract. The amount of the cap hit (by year) is determined as follows:

And then goes on to say:

The buyout period typically begins the later of June 15 or 48 hours after the Stanley Cup Final ends and concludes on June 30. In 2013, it begins 48 hours after the Final ends and concludes on July 4 at 5 p.m.

And also:

NOTE: During the ordinary course buyout periods in June 2013 and June 2014, teams will be permitted two compliance buyouts. Compliance buyouts follow the same formula as ordinary-course buyouts but do not count against the cap.

Everything between ordinary-course and compliance buy outs work the same except for compliance buy outs not counting against the cap. No where, that I can find, states that the time period is different between the two types of buy outs.

Has there been a player bought out at any point other than the buy out period yet?

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
You left out Salary Arbitration. Buyouts can occur 48 hours after the last arbitration case. Theoretically, Holland could take Nyquist/Andersson/Smith to arbitration and then use that to buyout someone he can't move. Not to mention, Holland could ward off the Holmgrens of the world by taking them to arbitration.

Edit: I'm unsure if the lockout changed when Arbitration occurs for this year.

Edit again: Can't happen... So Holland better be making moves now...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad