Proposal: Detroit | Buffalo

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Larkin might get you Risto+, not much more.

If your point is to make a really bad counter argument, well done!

To the general point, I don't think Dahlin is available for just this. It is a pretty substantial offer, but I think Buffalo turns this down. Still offering a top 5 unprotected pick and a top 6 pick from a couple years ago isn't that insulting for a guy that is really struggling despite the upside. I get turning it down, but people acting like this is the most outrageous offer probably need to relax a little in my opinion.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Right. Then you have to wait 3 years for said defenseman to develop. And you'll have to live with his ups and downs.
None of this year's D-men come with Dahlin's abilities. Not saying 1 won't be better one day. But which one? What if you draft the wrong one? It's foolish to assume you're just going to draft an 18 year old and he's going to be better than Dahlin.

Dahlin-Seider for 10-15 years?
I'd probably give up more than what I offered, quite honestly.

The cap dump is for two more years. I can deal.

Even better - you've just potentially shaved years off your rebuild time.
The D doesn't have to be better than Dahlin for it to be a bad trade. If he comes even close to a top pair D then Detroit loses this trade.

You don't give up a player like Zadina just because...

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
You are getting a guy who is probably the best young two-way defenseman in hockey.
How is that brutal?
Best young offensive D*

As of now hes been FAR from a two-way D. Pretty brutal in his own end actually

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
You're crazy. Absolutely crazy. If I could deal the Wings pick right now and get Dahlin? I do that without hesitation. Owen Power might be good. Dahlin is a quality NHLer today with a world of potential still.
Its not just Power though, it's him plus a guy with 30/30+ potential plus taking on a guy who would require a 1st+ to dump if they were trading him seperately

sandybridge

Welcome Taylor
Jun 24, 2018
If your point is to make a really bad counter argument, well done!

To the general point, I don't think Dahlin is available for just this. It is a pretty substantial offer, but I think Buffalo turns this down. Still offering a top 5 unprotected pick and a top 6 pick from a couple years ago isn't that insulting for a guy that is really struggling despite the upside. I get turning it down, but people acting like this is the most outrageous offer probably need to relax a little in my opinion.

Not terrible, but absolutely does not take into account Buffalo's needs at all.

You guys should consider the counterparty before making an offer. Otherwise, it would just get sarcastic remarks in reply.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

You guys should consider the counterparty before making an offer. Otherwise, it would just get sarcastic remarks in reply.

Taking Okposo while there's a flat cap is considerate of the counterparty.
Not sure what Buffalo needs other than a LD, and we don't have that, really. Thought I'd probably be willing to chuck in Cholowski.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

I thought your needs when moving on from guys were top young players for your rebuild. By the way for the record your needs are everywhere we have the same problem in Detroit.

So we are offering a top 5 unprotected pick (18 years old) and a #6 overall pick (21 year old) from the same draft as Dahlin.

I mean it might just be fair to say you won't take any offer in any of these threads. I would certainly shutter at the idea of trading Eichel or Dahlin. I really hope Yzerman doesn't get us to that point with some of these younger guys we have just started getting. I don't think either player lets the cap into this though unless you're taking on all of Jeff Skinner which yes hurts even Eichel's value. But you can draft a center or LD with that pick or combo that with your own top 5 pick. Up to you, but offering up two young assets with value in the top 10 isn't a cheap trade proposal.

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
Whether we are rebuilding or staying course after a much expected coaching change next year, Dahlin would not be traded. The kid is 20 years old.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
You are getting a guy who is probably the best young two-way defenseman in hockey.
How is that brutal?
Because he hasn't proved it yet. While I think he will be better off away from Buffalo (Re: Eichel/Hall/Skinner), I don't think Detroit is a fit because the offense would have to run through him, which then gets rid of the need for Seider. And I think Seider is better developed for where they are in their respective D+ years. To give up Zadina who should be solid 20-30 goals/year on a team with better IQ players, PLUS a 1st rounder in a year when we need to be coveting assets, is just too much.

sandybridge

Welcome Taylor
Jun 24, 2018
I thought your needs when moving on from guys were top young players for your rebuild. By the way for the record your needs are everywhere we have the same problem in Detroit.

So we are offering a top 5 unprotected pick (18 years old) and a #6 overall pick (21 year old) from the same draft as Dahlin.

I mean it might just be fair to say you won't take any offer in any of these threads. I would certainly shutter at the idea of trading Eichel or Dahlin. I really hope Yzerman doesn't get us to that point with some of these younger guys we have just started getting. I don't think either player lets the cap into this though unless you're taking on all of Jeff Skinner which yes hurts even Eichel's value. But you can draft a center or LD with that pick or combo that with your own top 5 pick. Up to you, but offering up two young assets with value in the top 10 isn't a cheap trade proposal.

????

I don't think you actually read the post that I was originally replying to in the thread.

YOUR proposal is much better, worthy of consideration, but when it comes down to trading a premiere talent, I would probably still pass.

bellringer77

Nov 14, 2017
Detroit would probably be stupid not to to do that. Dahlin is 20 years old and people are already writing him off. We have this terrible habit as fans now that if a guy doesn’t explode in his first couple years he’s a bust. Especially for Defenseman?? Insane. Zadina is good but I don’t think he’s a 70 point guy. Hope I’m wrong.And a pick for a guy you hope turns into Dahlin? Yeah sign me up

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Detroit fans are actually saying no to this deal? I'd do it if I were them. 90% chance Dahlin is the better player (And that's being generous). They have the cap to pay him too.

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
I think Dahlin will end up be in the the convo among all time great d hwhen his career is over but we also need some goals so I wouldn't give up on Zadina so early. Kid could turn into a beauty as well. Obviously only time will tell. The question is what would it take roster/prospect to get Dahlin to the wings. Seider/Dahlin Could potentially become a top pair in the league. It would be like the wings with Lidstrom and Rafalski. So typing that out and thinking about it, take whoever you want aside from Seider, Zadina, Raymond and this years pick.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I honestly think it is a fairly balanced deal.

Of course no one is going to look at it that way.

Dahlin is a 1st OA pick, and if you are a Buffalo fan and you like him. Moving him is a bad move.

Zadina is a 6th OA pick, and is looking like a top6 forward at minimum, but who knows after that.
The Detroit 1st pick is looking like it will be 1-3rd last place, and considering the new rules and lottery system will be a 1st-5th OA pick. Likely to be used on a strong D man. Who knows how good such a player will be as of yet.

Dahlin is better than any piece in this deal. But the 2 pieces being offered by Detroit are legit solid players.

Bottom line is Buffalo and Detroit are horrible trade partners. They want and need the exact same thing. New young talent... Talent at every position. There is no reason to trade guys they drafted. Its just not a trade that ever happens.

Reactions: CairneBloodhoof

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I get Dahlin has struggled this season, but he’s not gonna be an easy get. The dude is 20 and in his third full NHL season. If Buffalo is trading him, it’s for a full time NHL dman his age or a year older, plus someone else.

Think Makar + Newhook. Or Hughes + Gaudette. And probably there’d be an addition to those.

I’m not saying he’s worth that in general. Just that’s what it’d take as an offer for Buffalo to even consider trading away Dahlin.

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
Ah yes, trading your franchise defenseman to get rid of a cap dump

51sx5u.jpg

We’re talking about Buffalo here. Everything is possible!

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Anybody can be moved. If you got rid of okposo AND skinner I'm fairly certain buffalo pulls the trigger. That's a LOT of dead money to get out from. Nobody is taking that mistake of a contract we know as skinner though.

So much free money that we'll have no one to spend on because we'll have traded away all of our talent. Still no.

You're not getting Dahlin, stop trying.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Detroit fans are actually saying no to this deal? I'd do it if I were them. 90% chance Dahlin is the better player (And that's being generous). They have the cap to pay him too.
Yeah I don't know who is saying no. They obviously underrate Dahlin. I love Zadina. I see him as a 30 goal 70 point player. Our 2021 1st will be a top 5 pick who we hope can maybe be a top pairing D someday. I'd do this trade in a second no questions asked. We have the cap space to handle Okposo's deal. Taking on a cap dump, giving up a potential star winger and a top 5 pick is a high price. Dahlin is absolutely worth it though.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Finland
    Austria vs Finland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,377.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,050.00