Proposal: Detroit | Buffalo

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
As much as I like Dahlin this is a no from Detroit. We can just use our 2021 pick to draft a defensemen without giving up Zadina for a salary dump player.

Right. Then you have to wait 3 years for said defenseman to develop. And you'll have to live with his ups and downs.
None of this year's D-men come with Dahlin's abilities. Not saying 1 won't be better one day. But which one? What if you draft the wrong one? It's foolish to assume you're just going to draft an 18 year old and he's going to be better than Dahlin.

Dahlin-Seider for 10-15 years?
I'd probably give up more than what I offered, quite honestly.

The cap dump is for two more years. I can deal.

Even better - you've just potentially shaved years off your rebuild time.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
It would be a mistake for Buffalo to package dahlin with a cap dump like Okposo. If they trade him, they are realistically committing to a mini rebuild over the coming off seasons. Unless the pegula’s are desperate to unload cash, it would make more sense to ride out the okposo contract if you’re selling off pieces like dahlin.

Last edited:

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
He's not that good and just keep the pick and draft a D man like someone else said.

You don't take on cap dumps to move young assets. You take them on for players who are near the end/term.

Dahlin is very good. He's struggling for a shit team with terrible coaching and bad leadership.
In 4-5 years when he's winning Norris Trophies, you'll understand that you just don't go "draft another Dman like someone else said."

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
It would be a mistake for Buffalo to package dahlin with a cap dump like Okposo. If they trade him, they are realistically committing two a mini rebuild over the coming off seasons. Unless the pegula’s are desperate to unload cash, it would make more sense to ride out the okposo contract if you’re selling off pieces like dahlin.

Off loading Okposo does give the Sabres some much-needed room with a flat cap.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Dahlin is very good. He's struggling for a shit team with terrible coaching and bad leadership.
In 4-5 years when he's winning Norris Trophies, you'll understand that you just don't go "draft another Dman like someone else said."

hmm....

Reactions: KyGuy9 and MBH

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Off loading Okposo does give the Sabres some much-needed room with a flat cap.

30+ million cap space heading into the off season. If they're trading Dahlin why do they need more cap space right now? Just doesn't seem like good asset management by buffalo and I would love to have Dahlin in Detroit.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
How are Detroit fans saying no?

They have the time and space to eat Okposo's contract.

Yzerman would say yes so fast it'd make your head spin. Especially when you consider team construction- wanting to build from the backend out and LHD being a big need for the Wings.

The 1st this year is tough to give up since it will likely be top 5. But, it is a pretty weak draft that seems to lack consensus on the tiers of players. You give up that up to get a defenseman that can score 40+ points at 18 years old, that indicates a rare player to me.

It's a classic example of hfboards overrating picks and misplacing value on an emotional attachment to a young fan favorite (Zadina) whereas an intelligent GM would see this as getting the chance to trade for Mackinnon in 2016. For those same reasons- Buffalo would never offer this.

Last edited:

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
30+ million cap space heading into the off season. If they're trading Dahlin why do they need more cap space right now? Just doesn't seem like good asset management by buffalo and I would love to have Dahlin in Detroit.

Yeah.
If I were Buffalo I wouldn't entertain it.
But I was listening to SiriusNHL and they were talking about how Eichel's salary reduces Buffalo's ability to get market value, and one of the panelists suggested Dahlin might be the guy to trade.

And if there's any chance Buffalo thinks that, Detroit ought to be all in.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
To Buffalo
Zadina, Detroit 1st rounder in 2021

To Detroit
Okposo, Dahlin.

Throwing in Okposo isn't enough to get you Dahlin that cheaply. Yes, what you're giving up is a high price.......but this is a 20 year old puck moving defenseman who's slightly regressed under s*** coaching. He's still worth PLENTY.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Yeah.
If I were Buffalo I wouldn't entertain it.
But I was listening to SiriusNHL and they were talking about how Eichel's salary reduces Buffalo's ability to get market value, and one of the panelists suggested Dahlin might be the guy to trade.

And if there's any chance Buffalo thinks that, Detroit ought to be all in.
Isn't Eichel being dissatisfied with the team the reason he wants out? How much louder will that grow if they trade away Dahlin?

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Ah yes, trading your franchise defenseman to get rid of a cap dump

51sx5u.jpg

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
"If I were Buffalo I wouldn't entertain it," but I'm going to put it to actual Buffalo fans, because they'd totally freaking be on board.

This is beyond brutal for Buffalo and you f***ing know it. I mean, it wouldn't hurt to float the idea, because maybe Buffalo's GM had been drinking that day... but Dahlin is by far the best piece in this deal. Could it potentially bite Detroit in the butt if Zadina continues to develop and the lotto pick turns into a top 3 pick who also hits? Sure. But Dahlin is a top pairing guy, right now. At age 20, soon to be 21.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Right. Then you have to wait 3 years for said defenseman to develop. And you'll have to live with his ups and downs.
None of this year's D-men come with Dahlin's abilities. Not saying 1 won't be better one day. But which one? What if you draft the wrong one? It's foolish to assume you're just going to draft an 18 year old and he's going to be better than Dahlin.

Dahlin-Seider for 10-15 years?
I'd probably give up more than what I offered, quite honestly.

The cap dump is for two more years. I can deal.

Even better - you've just potentially shaved years off your rebuild time.
Cause we’re going places in those 3 years?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $25.00