Confirmed Signing with Link: [DET] F Klim Kostin signs extension with the Red Wings (2 years, $2M AAV)

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
I'm just adding context. Adding Kostin essentially 2.5 million for Yzerman. Not saying he cares or should care, just adding information to the post. Is it something you were hoping to hide or why are you upset that I added that?
Yeah, the Oilers couldn't afford the 2.5m cap that would include Yams buyout.
As an Avs fan I agree.

A lot of salty Oil fans in here. Just because the team doesn't have the cap to pay this doesn't make him not worth the contract.Pissed Kostin used KHL as leverage, saying you can get a lot better /equal players for that cost, arguing they are paying him 2.9M in reality.

The reality is DET traded Yamomoto's buyout space for Kostin. It saves the Oil 2.9M but cap space is not an asset if it goes unused.

I think this guy is easily worth 2M. Seemed to be exactly what the Oil needed in the playoffs in the bottom 6 and I'm kind of shocked he wasn't given a look beside McDrai at some point. These guys are what help you win in the playoffs. His combination of size, speed, offensive ability and snarl is what teams froth over and he was clearly just scratching the surface. Good luck finding a proper replacement for 1,5M or less
You are the first person in this thread to throw shade at another franchise. Every Oiler fan is saying they wish they could have kept him and wish him the best

JohanFranzenstein

Dec 6, 2013
I woke up one morning and everyone started saying "a minute"

I am very not down with this phrase and I don't understand it's appeal. It sounds aesthetically off, and it doesn't even make sense. A minute is not a long interlude of time.

I dont want to live in a world that has moved on from "it's been a while" or "it's been a bit" to "it's been a minute"

And it was like everyone. Everyone simultaneously started saying it out of nowhere. I am old and confused.
My older brother has been saying it since I was little (late 90's early 00's) so I claim it as our phrase.

Anyways, a minute in this scenario means a decade, when we signed Danny Alfredsson.

BurnabyJoe7

Derek Ryan is a top 6 forward change my mind
Apr 12, 2019
As an Avs fan I agree.

A lot of salty Oil fans in here. Just because the team doesn't have the cap to pay this doesn't make him not worth the contract.Pissed Kostin used KHL as leverage, saying you can get a lot better /equal players for that cost, arguing they are paying him 2.9M in reality.

The reality is DET traded Yamomoto's buyout space for Kostin. It saves the Oil 2.9M but cap space is not an asset if it goes unused.

I think this guy is easily worth 2M. Seemed to be exactly what the Oil needed in the playoffs in the bottom 6 and I'm kind of shocked he wasn't given a look beside McDrai at some point. These guys are what help you win in the playoffs. His combination of size, speed, offensive ability and snarl is what teams froth over and he was clearly just scratching the surface. Good luck finding a proper replacement for 1,5M or less
Most oilers fans in here wanted to keep him and are wishing him well in Detroit. I agree he is a guy you want for playoffs based on his play at the end of last year but bottom 6 guys Iike him are 100% replaceable. He does have consistency issues and he was an AHL player at the beginning of last season for a reason.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Most oilers fans in here wanted to keep him and are wishing him well in Detroit. I agree he is a guy you want for playoffs based on his play at the end of last year but bottom 6 guys Iike him are 100% replaceable. He does have consistency issues and he was an AHL player at the beginning of last season for a reason.
For sure. The point is just that he has some upside beyond being a 4th liner. He has been on a very similar trajectory to Nuke - who washed out of the NHL for a bit at around the same age. We will see if the gamble pays off.

name

Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
Dang… really hoping he would test the market longer…

This, right here, is why the Wings bought out Yam so they could sign this guy before free agency. Not every trade has to be some kind of fleecing; EDM got cap relief, DET got a gritty player with potential.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Wish we could have kept him. We made the best of the cap situation unloading Yamamoto. Kostin is a gamer, wish him well. Expect him to become a fan fav in Detroit.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Good move by Kostin refusing to accept the Oilers max $1.5M offer. In the end Kostin is costing the Wings $2.433M this year and $2.533M next year. A little pricey but the Wings can afford it.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Good signing for DEt and they can trade him at a deadline easily for a 50% retained for draft picks either year if they are not making the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad