Confirmed Signing with Link: [DET] F Klim Kostin signs extension with the Red Wings (2 years, $2M AAV)

Seider and Donuts

Jul 1, 2023
People keep talking about how this is an overpayment but it honestly reminds me of when STL wasn't giving Fabbri any ice time and just gave him to us.

He'll get more opportunity here, and he'll probably play up to his contract with it.

Reactions: Czechboy

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
It’s actually 2.9. 900k in cap for Yamamoto this year.

Kostin can be decent but you can get far better players for 2.9 mill

The 900K cap hit from the buyout bought a draft pick.

We bought Kostin for money not a draft pick.

I don't see why everyone is so confused by this. It's not Kostin at 2.9.
It's Kostion at 2x2 and a draft pick for 1M

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
People keep talking about how this is an overpayment but it honestly reminds me of when STL wasn't giving Fabbri any ice time and just gave him to us.

He'll get more opportunity here, and he'll probably play up to his contract with it.
He might. Part of his issue in Edmonton was positional responsibility though. I like the Wings and I like Kostin so I hope he does well.

Can you explain the draft pick portion please?

Reactions: GreytWun

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

What? There was no draft pick.
It was Yamamoto and Kostin for future considerations. What draft pick are you talking about?

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

Nov 2, 2018
He might. Part of his issue in Edmonton was positional responsibility though. I like the Wings and I like Kostin so I hope he does well.

Can you explain the draft pick portion please?

What? There was no draft pick.
It was Yamamoto and Kostin for future considerations. What draft pick are you talking about?

Detroit traded for a player without giving up draft capitol.
We retained our draft picks in this trade.
That has value.

So instead of trading picks for Kostin we took on a buyout instead.
Thus saving our draft assets at the cost of money.

Reactions: norrisnick

Norwegianoiler

Nov 17, 2014
Good player, (seems like a) great person, and came into the team with much needed energy last season. Has some positioning and decision making issues to my eye, but brings a lot of energy, physicality, and a solid shot as well. Too bad he wouldn't sign for 1M, he'd be a nice bottom 6 piece. Hope he does well with the Wings!

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Physical player with a stand up character and a great shot.

He had some issues with consistency but that probably will get better and better

Reactions: Homesick

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Detroit traded for a player without giving up draft capitol.
We retained our draft picks in this trade.
That has value.

So instead of trading picks for Kostin we took on a buyout instead.
Thus saving our draft assets at the cost of money.
Kostin wasn’t going to be qualified.
He was going to be free in about an hour. So you are spending 600-900k a year to save what? A 5th/6th round pick?

Seider and Donuts

Jul 1, 2023
Good player, (seems like a) great person, and came into the team with much needed energy last season. Has some positioning and decision making issues to my eye, but brings a lot of energy, physicality, and a solid shot as well. Too bad he wouldn't sign for 1M, he'd be a nice bottom 6 piece. Hope he does well with the Wings!
Great person?!

SEND FOR THE HASEK!

Seider and Donuts

Jul 1, 2023
Kostin wasn’t going to be qualified.
He was going to be free in about an hour. So you are spending 600-900k a year to save what? A 5th/6th round pick?
He'd be free to 30 other teams, too. That's kinda the point.

He paid $500K/year (It's literally on Cap Friendly, I dunno where people keep coming up with $900K) of money he's already going to struggle to spend for exclusive rights to Kostin.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
A pick that low isn’t worth 600k a season for 2 years though.

He'd be free to 30 other teams, too. That's kinda the point.

He paid $500K/year (It's literally on Cap Friendly, I dunno where people keep coming up with $900K) of money he's already going to struggle to spend for exclusive rights to Kostin.
I misread. Either way. That’s not worth it just so you can overpay a 4th liner

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

Nov 2, 2018
A pick that low isn’t worth 900k a season for 4 years though.
And that's not the price that's being paid.

Scroll down to look at Yamamotos buy out penalty. Next year is 433,334 and the year after is 533,334. Less than 1M total.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
It was more than the Oilers were willing to pay, but I have a feeling they will regret this one.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Yes. Not all of them, but more than a handful were parroting that.
It was more fans of other team's claiming there was some sort of cap circumvention.
Oilers beat writer was the first to report that the KHL team had backed away once he was traded

Physical player with a stand up character and a great shot.

He had some issues with consistency but that probably will get better and better
I hope he does find some consistency. He'll bring the physicality and not afraid to drop the gloves

FiveFourteenSixOne

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Jan 28, 2006
Edmonton
I haven't been this excited for a signing in a minute. I hope to the hockey gods this guy will help us stop getting ragdolled.

Klim is a beauty. He hits, isn't afraid to muck it up, and has great size plus a terrific wrist shot.

I'm very sad the Oilers couldn't afford to keep him. If he can play for the Wings like he did for the Oilers then you guys have a beauty.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
I watched this guy in the playoffs and I personally do think he has more than 3rd/4th line upside. Unlikely to reach it but I think Yzerman sees this as a Nichuskin-style gamble.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I watched this guy in the playoffs and I personally do think he has more than 3rd/4th line upside. Unlikely to reach it but I think Yzerman sees this as a Nichuskin-style gamble.
They’ll try him in front of the net on the PP. whether it works or not we shall see. Chiasson was actually great at it.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
As an Avs fan I agree.

A lot of salty Oil fans in here. Just because the team doesn't have the cap to pay this doesn't make him not worth the contract.Pissed Kostin used KHL as leverage, saying you can get a lot better /equal players for that cost, arguing they are paying him 2.9M in reality.

The reality is DET traded Yamomoto's buyout space for Kostin. It saves the Oil 2.9M but cap space is not an asset if it goes unused.

I think this guy is easily worth 2M. Seemed to be exactly what the Oil needed in the playoffs in the bottom 6 and I'm kind of shocked he wasn't given a look beside McDrai at some point. These guys are what help you win in the playoffs. His combination of size, speed, offensive ability and snarl is what teams froth over and he was clearly just scratching the surface. Good luck finding a proper replacement for 1,5M or less

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad