Confirmed Signing with Link: [DET] F Klim Kostin signs extension with the Red Wings (2 years, $2M AAV)

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
good prove it contract for kostin, $2m is a little pricey though

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
Finally the Wings add size. An organization that for years had Probert, Kocur, Grimson, McCarty the last few years was soft as charmin. Yzerman finally realized why he had so much room back in his playing days.
Yes. Because the guys you just mentioned were his linemates.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Low-risk, maybe there's more offensive upside to be found otherwise just a decent add for a team that wants to get tougher to play against.

Reactions: sureWhyNot

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
There were whispers of poor off-ice habits and lack of dedication to training, but who knows whether those were true.

Never really seemed to gain the trust of the coaching staff in EDM. Will be interesting to see how he does in DET.

Reactions: Blueston

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Finally the Wings add size. An organization that for years had Probert, Kocur, Grimson, McCarty the last few years was soft as charmin. Yzerman finally realized why he had so much room back in his playing days.
A Soderbolm-Rasmussen-Kostin line would be formidable.

Reactions: andora

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Still don’t get why they didn’t qualify him… it was far less than what he signed for. On Lindstrom it was probably more but couldn’t have been much.

Does anyone know?? Does this have something to do with future arbitration maybe?? Why would you not give a QO to a player if it’s less than what you sign them for??

Reactions: Blueston

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Still don’t get why they didn’t qualify him… it was far less than what he signed for. On Lindstrom it was probably more but couldn’t have been much.

Does anyone know?? Does this have something to do with future arbitration maybe?? Why would you not give a QO to a player if it’s less than what you sign them for??
By non-tendering Kostin, the Red Wings eliminated the risk of a higher-than-desired salary arbitration award.

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013

Qualifying offer just extends your rights to him. He wouldn’t have accepted it cause he wanted more money. Yzerman must’ve been confident they could get a deal done so no need

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI

There were talks if him going to the KHL instead.

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011
This makes me happier with the Oilers asset mangament here.

Trade a good 4th liner that we weren't/couldn't afford to resign, but also trade away a guy getting bought out?

Both teams seemingly got what they needed. Cap space vs low-end talent. Win-win

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
There were talks if him going to the KHL instead.
Qualifying offer just extends your rights to him. He wouldn’t have accepted it cause he wanted more money. Yzerman must’ve been confident they could get a deal done so no need
It still doesn’t make sense. What if there’s a paperwork snafu? It’s almost like Yzerman just messed with people.
By non-tendering Kostin, the Red Wings eliminated the risk of a higher-than-desired salary arbitration award.
Did he file for arbitration this year? It has to have something to do with arbitration, I agree… even if it’s future ability to file, etc…

I know teams don’t qualify if they file for “team elected arbitration”, but if the player files, you still have to qualify them, no?

I’m thinking it has something to do with future arbitration, or his next QO.

I mean whatever the case, it’s just odd.

Reactions: Maurice of Orange

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Kostin looked better than Nuge, Kane and maybe even Hyman for Oilers at ES .. too bad he was not favored by the coaches when it came to ice time. Should be a decent add for DET on the third line.

Reactions: sureWhyNot

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Like this for Detroit.

Not comparing them directly, but I see Kostin as being on a bit of a Nichushkin arc not in terms of quality, but in terms of the combo of freight train speed, massive size, and needing to learn how to play an NHL game in that big body.

I think he'll be a difference maker as a forechecker for them on their 3rd line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad