Confirmed Signing with Link: [DET] F Klim Kostin signs extension with the Red Wings (2 years, $2M AAV)

nashnaidoo

Sponsor
Dec 15, 2004
Can anyone explain the entire deal to me? Yzerman took Yamamoto to buy him out to get Kostin and then signed him today.

Why not just leave Kostin in Edmonton and then sign him after Kostin becomes a UFA? Is the buyout money worth that little? 5M for Bailey's buyout is a 2nd, so 3M for Yamamoto has to be something.

Sounds like Yzerman did his bro a solid.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
didn't Oil fans say it was fine because he was KHL bound?

No, they said it was fine because he wanted too much money.

Can anyone explain the entire deal to me? Yzerman took Yamamoto to buy him out to get Kostin and then signed him today.

Why not just leave Kostin in Edmonton and then sign him after Kostin becomes a UFA? Is the buyout money worth that little? 5M for Bailey's buyout is a 2nd, so 3M for Yamamoto has to be something.

There’s no guarantee he would have become a UFA on another team.

Reactions: Macheteops

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Kostin was never going to the khl. Don't let paranoid people let you think he was. He didn't spend 4 years in the AHL just to go back to Russia the moment he made the NHL. It was purely leverage.

Seider and Donuts

Jul 1, 2023

Because another team can then offer him $2.5M two hours from now...

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
He got his payday. Good luck to him.

He scored like 80% of his goals in a nine game stretch where he shot like 40%. Hopefully he can find some consistency at that price tag.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Because then Yzerman would have had to compete with others in negotiating. Maybe the Oilers had another offer for Kostin too.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Good for Kostin, loved him as an Oiler. Unfortunately, there is no way the Oilers could have give him $2 million with the cap situation.

I really liked his time with my team. Wish him nothing but success he seemed like such a likeable guy in interviews and brings an old school toughness.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Really happy for Klim! He was almost back to Europe last year before the trade. He was a great player for us and was always noticeable. Fan fav!

However, if Holland gave him 2 x 2 this week I would've been livid. Maybe it's our cap situation or our supposed 'win now' mentality. Hope he does well for the Wing's! Happy he is an NHLer for 2 years and curious how it goes for him!

Good luck Klim and thank you for taking Yam for us too! I'm starting to think this is a mulligan for the Green and AA trades.lol

Seider and Donuts

Jul 1, 2023
Really happy for Klim! He was almost back to Europe last year before the trade. He was a great player for us and was always noticeable. Fan fav!

However, if Holland gave him 2 x 2 this week I would've been livid. Maybe it's our cap situation or our supposed 'win now' mentality. Hope he does well for the Wing's! Happy he is an NHLer for 2 years and curious how it goes for him!

Good luck Klim and thank you for taking Yam for us too! I'm starting to think this is a mulligan for the Green and AA trades.lol
Interestingly enough, Yzerman didn't keep either of those picks he got for AA, and they ended up being Faber and Raty. Two pretty solid prospects.

Trying to do the final math on that trade, but it looks like...

:edmonton

Andreas Athanasiou
Ryan Kuffner

:wings

Sam Gagner
Jake Walman
Andrew Gibson
Larry Keenan
Theodore Neiderbach
Sam Stange

Walman alone made that worth it.

Reactions: Dtybur and Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Interestingly enough, Yzerman didn't keep either of those picks he got for AA, and they ended up being Faber and Raty. Two pretty solid prospects.

Trying to do the final math on that trade, but it looks like...

:edmonton

Andreas Athanasiou
Ryan Kuffner

:wings

Sam Gagner
Jake Walman
Andrew Gibson
Larry Keenan
Theodore Neiderbach
Sam Stange

Walman alone made that worth it.
I was so excited we got AA... then covid and it all went to hell on us fast. I though the Green trade was good at the time too! It all aged poorly but I do think Covid had something to do with that!

I'd take Gagner back ftr. Love that guy in our bottom 6.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Damn, surprised he ended up getting that much.

Good for him though, liked him in Edmonton

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
Detroit is well below the cap floor. Do you think they care about an extra 500K?

I'm just adding context. Adding Kostin essentially 2.5 million for Yzerman. Not saying he cares or should care, just adding information to the post. Is it something you were hoping to hide or why are you upset that I added that?

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
2x2 is a perfect contract for him, DRW fans will like him if the coach actually lets him play

Reactions: sureWhyNot

Puck Tiss

Nov 4, 2013
I'm just adding context. Adding Kostin essentially 2.5 million for Yzerman. Not saying he cares or should care, just adding information to the post. Is it something you were hoping to hide or why are you upset that I added that?
Ok, thats fair. I am just saying 500K means nothing.

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
Wings really needed some toughness. The back to back against the Sens showed that

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
It’s actually 2.9. 900k in cap for Yamamoto this year.

Kostin can be decent but you can get far better players for 2.9 mill

Reactions: Czechboy

EverTheCynic

May 26, 2022
I haven't been this excited for a signing in a minute. I hope to the hockey gods this guy will help us stop getting ragdolled.
I woke up one morning and everyone started saying "a minute"

I am very not down with this phrase and I don't understand it's appeal. It sounds aesthetically off, and it doesn't even make sense. A minute is not a long interlude of time.

I dont want to live in a world that has moved on from "it's been a while" or "it's been a bit" to "it's been a minute"

And it was like everyone. Everyone simultaneously started saying it out of nowhere. I am old and confused.

Seider and Donuts

Jul 1, 2023
I woke up one morning and everyone started saying "a minute"

I am very not down with this phrase and I don't understand it's appeal. It sounds aesthetically off, and it doesn't even make sense. A minute is not a long interlude of time.

I dont want to live in a world that has moved on from "it's been a while" or "it's been a bit" to "it's been a minute"

And it was like everyone. Everyone simultaneously started saying it out of nowhere. I am old and confused.
No cap...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad