Confirmed Trade: [DET/EDM] Kailer Yamamoto and Klim Kostin for future considerations

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Tough when you need to include Kostin just to move on from Yamamoto. Given the American market, Kostin likely signs for what Edmonton wanted to sign him for

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yams and Kostin aren't worldbeaters, but they do improve a teams depth and when they're on, they can help you win games.

Clearly things cooking for the Oilers and they need the cap space immediately.
Getting rid of Yams regardless if we had another move or not was something we had to do this off-season.

Just not enough value to our club at 3mil.

Kostin I hate to see go, but his contract demands to stay in Edmonton were just too much to pay for a guy playing 10 minutes a night.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
I honestly don't know who in their right mind thought we'd get much of anything for KY.

Now not wanted to trade him for another bad contract I can understand, but a close to league min guy really shouldn't have been slammed.

I thought Edmonton would have to send a pick to dump Yamamotos contract

instead they just had to trade a guy who wasnt re-signing anyways. Its a good move by Holland but its caused by overpaying players in the past

Reactions: EchoesoftheEighties

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
LOL... hilarious that EDM posters were using these guys as trade chips to get back valuable assets players in trade proposals here.

Too be fair most of us weren’t. We were using Yamamoto as a cap balancer in trade. We know he’s not worth 3.1 just as we know Pulju wasn’t worth 3m. Problem is the stupid GM we have that overpays guys like Yamamoto, Kassian, Nurse, Campbell, Puljujarvi to the point they are cap dumps with neutral or negative value regardless of whether they can be decent players on the team. The fact a few of these couldn’t even be that was mind numbing.

Reactions: joestevens29

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Tough when you need to include Kostin just to move on from Yamamoto. Given the American market, Kostin likely signs for what Edmonton wanted to sign him for
The oilers fan favorite has thrown in his 2 cents big surprise how it's another shot at edmonton

Reactions: PuckG

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
This is just awful asset management.
What "asset"? It's a negative value asset with Kostin being the sacrifice to rid of negative value contract.
I hate that Kostin was dealt but he was asking too much and the Oilers don't have room to overpay bottom 6 guys.

This could be really good for the Wings. Yamamoto can be useful in the right role and Kostin could be a real find for them.

Reactions: Coffey

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yams and Kostin aren't worldbeaters, but they do improve a teams depth and when they're on, they can help you win games.

Getting rid of Yams regardless if we had another move or not was something we had to do this off-season.

Kostin I hate to see go, but his contract demands to stay in Edmonton were just too much to pay for a guy playing 10 minutes a night.
I thought Edmonton would have to send a pick to dump Yamamotos contract

instead they just had to trade a guy who wasnt re-signing anyways. Its a good move by Holland but its caused by overpaying players in the past
Honestly the contract he was given wasn't exactly horrible. The hope was there that after a 20-20 season that he'd continue to grow.

But it seems injuries have hurt him in not only taking another step, but at the very least staying status quo

EverTheCynic

May 26, 2022
Anyone who scores 20 at age 23 is in fact an NHL player. He is depth and won't be playing in many situations, I would bet he will be pretty useful for Detroit this year.
I could score 20 playing with McDrai

He will be in the AHL this year and off to Europe soon imo.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Opens up the possibility for a Karlsson trade for Edmonton. Still a difficult deal to swing but easier. I think the Campbell/Kahkonen part may be more of a thing there if it gets pursued again.

Problem with a Karlsson trade is the cost as much as the cap. Campbell isn’t enough to make that work. The deal needs Ceci and a bit of retention too. The cost of doing that alone before even discussing what Karlsson should cost would kill us.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Reactions: Oilslick941611

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Surprised by Kostin, but I wonder if the KHL contract threat is more legit than we think. I've got to imagine that even at arbitration he's only getting like $1.5m, which is not bad.

Though, if it was between him and McLeod, they made the right choice. I was hoping McLeod would become available.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Problem with a Karlsson trade is the cost as much as the cap. Campbell isn’t enough to make that work. The deal needs Ceci and a bit of retention too. The cost of doing that alone before even discussing what Karlsson should cost would kill us.
I think that’s more doable if Kahkonen is part of the swap or sent to a third team depending on the particulars. Campbell and Ceci can be taken in if there’s value sent our way as part of it. Whether that’s dumping some of ours or futures coming in, it can be done.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Oil fans been arguing Yamo has value, mains arguing he has negative value.

Oilers dump Yamo by attaching Kostin, and now it's poor asset management because they should have gotten value for Yamo.

Figure your shit out, folks.

Word is he's looking for a decent raise and is leveraging the KHL to get it.

Reactions: Coffey

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I could score 20 playing with McDrai

He will be in the AHL this year and off to Europe soon imo.
He has produced with Leon as well. Not everyone can play with elite talent. Part of what made him work when he was on was his forechecking that caused issues for defenders which lead to points.

It's not like he just sat there taping in goals or having pucks bounce off him.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Kostin finally has a little bit of success and chooses not to go back to the environment that got the ball rolling. Maybe someone will give him more than a show-me contract.

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
Hahahahahahah Edmonton got ROBBED.

Has anyone watched Yamo play hockey the last 80 or so games?

Kostin did score goals that helped punt your team from the playoffs so I get your reaction but he was a defensive liability that the coach didn’t trust.

Plus you know…..the salary cap.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Kostin finally has a little bit of success and chooses not to go back to the environment that got the ball rolling. Maybe someone will give him more than a show-me contract.
Thought it would've made sense for him to give it one more go here. If he continued to grow he would've gotten a pretty decent contract after, if not he could've went back to the KHL next summer.

Maybe he just doesn't want to play for Woody who didn't trust him. Either way Holland wasn't going to be waiting around to see what was going to happen. Seemed rather clear that tomorrow was going to be the deadline for him to sign.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad