Player Discussion Derick Brassard

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrueGrit

Jul 3, 2006
He's been outstanding the past 3 weeks, living up to his reputation in that he's turning his game up at the right time.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
This further proves why Dorion got Brassard. It's not that ZBad is void of talent, he's clearly talented, but even when Brassard isn't contributing on the scoresheet, he plays a 200 foot, gritty game for a little(ish) dude. Then when he gets hot, like he is now, it's even more of a reward for his team and teammates.

Shrewd acquisition IMO.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Great quote by Boucher recently when asked about Brassard...

"When you look at the analytics whether its corsi, fenwick or ours, he's at the top of the team. The only thing missing for a few months was just finishing. He hasn't changed anything, just the finishing is there from the same place he had before. That's just a comfort zone where now instead of trying to please everybody, trying to feed like he was doing at the beginning, he's just playing the game now...since Christmas he's been terrific. If you look in terms of scoring chances for and against - for us he's number 1 for forwards...all I asked him to do was not to get frustrated that it wasn't amounting to a goal. He was playing great and how he's playing terrific."

I mean, I knew Brassard was playing well, but it's funny how much better I felt about him after reading this quote from Boucher. Almost don't regret including a 2nd with Z. Almost.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
He is playing much better than earlier in the year. But he also has only 1 point in his last 7 games.

:popcorn:

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I'll maintain that if Brassard and Ryan can both get in sync with the rest of the team (offensively), this could be a really dangerous team.

Think about Zibanejad and how he plays, and ask yourself if he would be one of Bouchers favourite players? No, is the right answer.

Brassard is a much better fit for us, and I'm sure we haven't even seen him at his best yet.

Sensin5

Jan 27, 2013
Playoffs should be a revelation for the doubters. Always hated/appreciated the level of play he brought against us in playoffs and saw it in other Rangers series. Really brings it. But of course, seeing is believing.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
I'll maintain that if Brassard and Ryan can both get in sync with the rest of the team (offensively), this could be a really dangerous team.

Think about Zibanejad and how he plays, and ask yourself if he would be one of Bouchers favourite players? No, is the right answer.

Brassard is a much better fit for us, and I'm sure we haven't even seen him at his best yet.

Zibanejad is barely outproducing Brass anyways. 50 pt pace, has 10 pts in 23 games since returning from injury, all on an extremely high scoring team (41GF more than us). Brassard is on pace for a paltry 43 points.

As you said, Brassard fits our team way better and has steadily improved throughout the season. We essentially gave up Lazar and Zibanejad for Brassard. I'm very OK with that.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Yeah, no need to wish ill for Zib with this deal.

It's been well documented Boucher wanted a good offensive left-handed center for his powerplay and top 9, and with Turris, Zibby and Pageau as our top 3 centers all being right handed (and White also a righty), I see how this deal made sense for us, even though it also made sense for the Rags. Having both Brassard and Smith for faceoffs on the right side also gives the team a few more options.

Zib is also a real shoot-first guy, and I like the idea of having a more well rounded dishman with Brassard to compliment wingers like Hoffman, Ryan and Smith.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
And the season isn't over yet.

Zibby is doing fine, Brass is starting to come around. Both sides are getting what they want.

I think some times that point is lost. Brassard has other tools than Zibanejad and we were prepared to change tool boxes to get what we needed to improve.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I think some times that point is lost. Brassard has other tools than Zibanejad and we were prepared to change tool boxes to get what we needed to improve.

It really is. The "win/lose" thing about trades is a casual fans narrative that doesn't really mean that much in the end. In reality, teams deal from a position of strength to fill a position of need. Best example of that is Nick Foligno for Marc Methot. Not because Foligno was not liked but the Sens could afford to trade a forward to improve the defense as it was a position of weakness. Now, you don't see many people complain because Methot is great despite Foligno being great as well.

This one is easy to understand because it was a forward for a D-man, but it could be similar when you trade players who play the same position. Brassard and Zibanejad play differently and will help your team in a different way. I understand why Ottawa targeted Brassard even though I really like Zibanejad, so I'm not down on the trade because it stills work out for my favorite team.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I wish we'd gotten Kadri for Zibanejad. What a beast Kadri is.

I think we actually had an offer for that? Not sure if it was us or the leafs that backed out.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Things that make you go hummm?

McKinnon - 44 pts
Dushene - 36 pts

Turris - 44 pts
Brassard - 34 pts

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
lol i unno what this is supposed to mean since you're comparing turris and brassard's production to 2 players playing one of the worst teams ever

Just not sure Ottawa needs Duschene who has a pretty good RWer in Rantenen. What a difference a yr makes, Ottawa has been kind of crappy for the past two yrs too.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Just not sure Ottawa needs Duschene who has a pretty good RWer in Rantenen. What a difference a yr makes, Ottawa has been kind of crappy for the past two yrs too.

I know what you mean. I think we need a much better option than Duchene but he very well may be the best available player in quite some time.

Also remember that Duchene has lead his team in points 3 times in the last 6 years and was top 2 in points in all 6 of those years. The only time he didnt was his rookie year(3rd in points) and the year he was injured.

That's pretty damn good and consistent.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Still over paid.

Do you mean that Dorion overpaid to get Brassard? Maybe when you look at it at face value. But you have to think that the Rangers were probably valuing Brassard (playoff hero, averaged 60 pts per 82 games the last 2 seasons, something that Zibanejad hasn't come close to do yet) more than Zibanejad, and even though they wanted to get younger, maybe they needed another incentive to go through with the deal... For Ottawa, getting Brassard on an AAV of 3.33 was already a big incentive and they probably didn't mind sacrificing a 2nd to be able to enjoy that bargain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad