Player Discussion Derick Brassard

Status
Not open for further replies.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
In 3 years when Brassard's contract is up, we'll have the choice to re-sign a 32 year old Brassard to a career-finishing contract; meanwhile the Rangers will have a 26 year old Zibanejad in his prime + a good prospect selected with the 2018 2nd we also gave up.

I'm not going to pretend that's insignificant. Dorion made a move that was supposed to improve the team in the short-run, at the cost of being worse-off in the long-run, and we didn't even end up getting better in the present. It sucks.

What are you? A fortune teller? 26yr old Zib will definitely NOT be better than 32yr old Brass. Zib is garbage, all the tools but no toolbox.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
What are you? A fortune teller? 26yr old Zib will definitely NOT be better than 32yr old Brass. Zib is garbage, all the tools but no toolbox.

:laugh:

Good grief. Zibby was better than Brassard this year already.

Sorry, but the only way we win this trade is if Brassard morphs into Crosby this playoffs.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Couldn't even hit 40 points. Produced like a third liner this year while playing with our best players.

But all will be forgiven if he has a beast playoffs.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
:laugh:

Good grief. Zibby was better than Brassard this year already.

Sorry, but the only way we win this trade is if Brassard morphs into Crosby this playoffs.

Its funny New York fans say Zibby is not the player they were expecting and want Brassard back while Ottawa fans say the Brassard is not the player they wanted.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Take from this what you will:

Dorion says Brassard has exceeded expectations, that they are very happy with the trade and that according to their in-house analytics department Brassard has been our best forward.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012

Dorion says Brassard has exceeded expectations, that they are very happy with the trade and that according to their in-house analytics department Brassard has been our best forward.

Source on this?

Had to ask..

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Its funny New York fans say Zibby is not the player they were expecting and want Brassard back while Ottawa fans say the Brassard is not the player they wanted.

:laugh: Isn't that always the case. I think scoring in the NHL is down considerable this yr, there were no 50 goal scorers in the NHL this yr & just before the last day of the season there were only two 40 goal scorers. McDavid led the league with 100 pts & only had 30 goals, Crosby had 44 goals & Kucherov had 40. Scoring is down & while Brassard was not great he wasn't terrible either & ended the season with 39 pts. For a guy his age coming to a new club who already had trouble scoring & is playing a very defensive first style we may have expected too much. I don't think he was expected to be the saviour & they tried for a long time to get him to mesh with Ryan which didn't work out. I think he will be better next yr, in fact, I would like to see him play with Burrows next season to see if these two can develop some chemistry. Hoffman - Brassard - Burrows - would be an interesting line.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

the only thing our "in-house" analytics department measures is the players local-ness/per60.

With that said, Brassard drives possession extremely well. But he's lost all creativity and vision in the offensive zone.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Source on this?

Had to ask..

Fair enough, just said it in an interview on TSN1200.

the only thing our "in-house" analytics department measures is the players local-ness/per60.

With that said, Brassard drives possession extremely well. But he's lost all creativity and vision in the offensive zone.

They apparently also measure "first on puck".

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Zibanejad was 5th in scoring on our team last year. For what it's worth....Brassard is 5th in scoring on our team this year.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I'm going to assume they meant center, or possibly meant to add 'one of' before 'our best forward' as I can't see them having him over Stone.

Having said that, from an analytics perspective, I can see the sens being really high on Brassard this season.

He has the highest on-ice CF%, SCF%, FF%, xGF% and GF% among all centers.

Player | CF% | FF% | SCF% | xGF% | GF%
DERICK.BRASSARD | 53.98 | 54.59 | 53.87 | 54.05 | 55.56
JEAN-GABRIEL.PAGEAU | 46.4 | 47.43 | 48.59 | 48.98 | 53.42
KYLE.TURRIS | 48.07 | 47.25 | 45.95 | 46.2 | 48.24
CHRIS.KELLY | 41.55 | 42.93 | 50.59 | 45.53 | 20.51

He hasn't been getting the toughest deployment, but I wouldn't call him sheltered either, pretty similar to Turris. He does get a bit of a bump from Stone though,

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
That chart brings up something interesting: people have been attacking him all season long and then attacking Ceci for not having good analytics.

LOL. Oh dear. Can't even practice what you preach.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
I'm going to assume they meant center, or possibly meant to add 'one of' before 'our best forward' as I can't see them having him over Stone.

Having said that, from an analytics perspective, I can see the sens being really high on Brassard this season.

He hasn't been getting the toughest deployment, but I wouldn't call him sheltered either, pretty similar to Turris. He does get a bit of a bump from Stone though,

On Twitter they really said "forward" which is kinda weird.

He hasn't been bad, but he hasn't taken over any games really, even Zib would take over more games. The thing I give him is he's more stable than Zib but aside from that he hasn't even topped 40pts which is kinda bad.

Time to step up now and all will be forgotten

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa
I'd love to hear Dorion's in house analytics take on Chris Kelly and why he continues to play.

It wasn't Dorion explaining the in house analytics, it was Boucher. But I agree, why is Kelly still playing?

Boucher did seem to know quite a bit tho on how advanced stats work.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
On Twitter they really said "forward" which is kinda weird.

He hasn't been bad, but he hasn't taken over any games really, even Zib would take over more games. The thing I give him is he's more stable than Zib but aside from that he hasn't even topped 40pts which is kinda bad.

Time to step up now and all will be forgotten

The other potential explanation would be that the in house analytics guys said Brassard has the best underlying numbers, which I might be able to buy into.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa

Senators organized analytics talk a month ago or so and shared some of the stuff they track:

Although he was clearly limited in terms of what he could say, Pattyson did list off a few things that the Senators track:

1) Scoring chances for and against: These are coded out by the video analyst with scoring chances flagged, and then someone else double-checks this and removes events if he disagrees about it being a scoring chance. Pattyson noted that most teams track scoring chances.

2) Zone entries and exits: Pattyson noted that the analytics community is often too rigidly focused on zone entries and exists with possession. Sometimes if the skaters are bagged and really need a line change the best play is to get to center and get the puck deep in the other end.

3) Puck battles: In a comment was made quickly and without elaboration, Pattyson pointed out that there are two somewhat distinct elements to puck battles: how many a given player engages in, and how often a player wins those battles. While they are somewhat related these measure two distinct aspects of player performance.

4) Shot attempts: In a nod to the hockey analytics community Pattyson included shot attempts on his list, but he pointed out a key limitation: when using shot attempt it is important to know whether the player was driving the play or simply on the ice when it happened. He made reference to player impact on such events being coded but did not flesh it out. Although Pattyson clearly viewed shot attempt data as being limited he did single out ‘With Or Without You’ (WOWY) metrics as being very useful.

Moar: http://thesportsdaily.com/the-6th-s...siness/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Brassard didn't shoot often and had a crappy 7.5% shooting percentage. His indecisiveness, especially on the PP, and a season where he had little luck, makes me think he'll bounce back next season with 50-55 points. Just needs to shoot more.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

Senators organized analytics talk a month ago or so and shared some of the stuff they track:

Moar: http://thesportsdaily.com/the-6th-s...siness/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Thank you. I agree 100%. You can't just slap on general analytics to a team that plays a specific system. Brassard has been great for us and is playing our system perfectly. Zibby would not have the IQ to work in our system.

Boucher talk about Brassard here:

Brassard >>> Zibby. No question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad