Player Discussion Derick Brassard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Do you mean that Dorion overpaid to get Brassard? Maybe when you look at it at face value. But you have to think that the Rangers were probably valuing Brassard (playoff hero, averaged 60 pts per 82 games the last 2 seasons, something that Zibanejad hasn't come close to do yet) more than Zibanejad, and even though they wanted to get younger, maybe they needed another incentive to go through with the deal... For Ottawa, getting Brassard on an AAV of 3.33 was already a big incentive and they probably didn't mind sacrificing a 2nd to be able to enjoy that bargain.

Overpaid as in we overpaid for him. His contract is fine. His contract is "very good". I don't hate the trade. But we overpaid.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
lol i unno what this is supposed to mean since you're comparing turris and brassard's production to 2 players playing one of the worst teams ever

Meh, playing on the worst teams means they can play a more risky game with less regards to the consequences.

You're right though, just showing the other side to the medal.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Someone bet me brassgod would get to 45 pts (or was it 55pts?) this year.

They owe me $100. I'll be looking for you.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Allright Brass, time for you to step it up after a dissapointing regular season. This is partly why we got you. You're a playoff performer. Let's ****ing go!

I assume he's reading this :naughty:

Punchbowl

Apr 4, 2010
wait till the playoffs

this guy is golden

I have a feeling people expecting Brassard to significantly increase his offensive output once the playoffs start are going to be disappointed (not necessarily pointing the finger at you).

With all these injury troubles, we've been playing some "playoff-atmosphere" hockey for the past few games now. In the last 10gp, Brassard has... 1G 1A 2Pts.

I'd love to be wrong and for Brass to suddenly start scoring ppg or something, but I'm skeptical. Really, we just need him to be a solid contributor and a competitor against the Bruins though. He's done a reasonable job of that this season, but I do hope he kicks it up a notch once in the post-season.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
He better single-handedly drag this team into the finals, given what we gave up to get him.

Woe Nelly;

Overpaid a bit based on Brasse's performance and maybe capabilities but you make it sound like we gave up Crosby. A good Part of the deal was financial imo.

When Zib starts carrying teams on his back ... you can take pride, and I will feel shame.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I have a feeling people expecting Brassard to significantly increase his offensive output once the playoffs start are going to be disappointed (not necessarily pointing the finger at you).

With all these injury troubles, we've been playing some "playoff-atmosphere" hockey for the past few games now. In the last 10gp, Brassard has... 1G 1A 2Pts.

I'd love to be wrong and for Brass to suddenly start scoring ppg or something, but I'm skeptical. Really, we just need him to be a solid contributor and a competitor against the Bruins though. He's done a reasonable job of that this season, but I do hope he kicks it up a notch once in the post-season.

its not so much about production but its how he plays and timely plays which he always seems to make it in the playoffs

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
He's not. You can't just take his production in New York with more depth and transplant it here.

I don't see any significant benefit that Zibby has in NY that Brassard doesn't have in Ottawa. Certainly nothing that makes up for a 0.17 gap in PPG (a 15 point gap in production over a full season).

And it's not just scoring. Zibanejad is bigger, faster, plays more PK, etc...

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
He's not. You can't just take his production in New York with more depth and transplant it here.

You can take his production here and compare it with Brassard here it's pretty simple. What matters is what those players brought to this team.

One of the biggest benefits was supposed to be PP and that didnt work out at all either. I mean unless you have it made up ib your head that Brassard is better there really isn't any argument that tells me Brassard is a better player by any way and he's much older..

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Woe Nelly;

Overpaid a bit based on Brasse's performance and maybe capabilities but you make it sound like we gave up Crosby. A good Part of the deal was financial imo.

When Zib starts carrying teams on his back ... you can take pride, and I will feel shame.

In 3 years when Brassard's contract is up, we'll have the choice to re-sign a 32 year old Brassard to a career-finishing contract; meanwhile the Rangers will have a 26 year old Zibanejad in his prime + a good prospect selected with the 2018 2nd we also gave up.

I'm not going to pretend that's insignificant. Dorion made a move that was supposed to improve the team in the short-run, at the cost of being worse-off in the long-run, and we didn't even end up getting better in the present. It sucks.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
In 3 years when Brassard's contract is up, we'll have the choice to re-sign a 32 year old Brassard to a career-finishing contract; meanwhile the Rangers will have a 26 year old Zibanejad in his prime + a good prospect selected with the 2018 2nd we also gave up.

I'm not going to pretend that's insignificant. Dorion made a move that was supposed to improve the team in the short-run, at the cost of being worse-off in the long-run, and we didn't even end up getting better in the present. It sucks.

That I can get behind and agree with. I am not a Dorion fan so far.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary

To be honest, I don't believe that. Dorion made the move solely to save Melnyk money.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

For the first time in a long time im not too worried about our center depth. Zibby just isnt reliable. You dont know which zibby will show up on any given night.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
To be honest, I don't believe that. Dorion made the move solely to save Melnyk money.

Better ways to save money than trading a young 2nd line center making 3.25M in salary for a guy who makes 3M in salary.

I think the deal was just another in a long line of mistakes that have been made by our incompetent pro-scouting staff. They obviously thought Brassard was a lot better than he actually was, and as a result we overpaid for the guy.

For the first time in a long time im not too worried about our center depth. Zibby just in reliable. You dont know which zibby will show up on any given night.

He's inconsistent, but at the end of the year if he has 15 more points than a "consistent" guy like Brassard, doesn't really matter that much.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I don't see any significant benefit that Zibby has in NY that Brassard doesn't have in Ottawa. Certainly nothing that makes up for a 0.17 gap in PPG (a 15 point gap in production over a full season).

And it's not just scoring. Zibanejad is bigger, faster, plays more PK, etc...

Zib isn't faster and he doesn't think the game as fast as Brassard either.

I am also much more comfortable with Brassard as our 2C going into the playoffs than Zib.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad