Confirmed with Link: Derek Forbort 1x1

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Just a suggestion to the promotions dept on Forbert bobblehead night...

upload_2020-10-12_0-6-7.jpeg

Reactions: Jets 31

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
It was very obvious against the Flames we were getting pushed around. Pionk was getting hammered in the boards with no one able to reply.
Tkachuk was aiming to hurt Scheifele and succeeded.

We lost a lot of size and grit last year. It's nice to have people like Thompson and Forbort to beat the s%$# out of Tkachuk next time he tries
to injure one of our players.
I'm all for Forbort in a depth role, but Thompson isn't good, and will get worked if he's ever on the ice versus Tkachuk.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
You can get that feeling all you want but it would be stupid to not have some kind of back up plan if they aren’t ready.

No way will Maurice play the kids with this depth.

Also, finally a defenseman of some stature. The Jets D was far too small.

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
He’s definitely not an AHL player. He’s a solid defensive d guy. You’re not going to see he score very often, but he will be steady! He’s a good Pk ‘r and he’s also big so that’s nice. I don’t mind this signing.

I still think there’s more moves coming

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I sure hope the Jets aren't building a team to beat the Flames. Neither team was very good last year.

I don't know the ticket to get out of the West was to be the toughest team possible. After the Flames gooned us, they got gooned. Jamie Benn showed that playoff hockey isn't just about goals. That said I think the Central might be weaker this year. At the very least I think we have a Wild Card team. If we shore up the special teams, might be able to beat out St. Louis and Dallas, and give Colorado a decent run.

The thing about the Flames is with current travel restrictions we might see more of our Western Canadian foes, and I don't think we can afford to be the same soft team as last year.

Reactions: GNP

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I don't know the ticket to get out of the West was to be the toughest team possible. After the Flames gooned us, they got gooned. Jamie Benn showed that playoff hockey isn't just about goals. That said I think the Central might be weaker this year. At the very least I think we have a Wild Card team. If we shore up the special teams, might be able to beat out St. Louis and Dallas, and give Colorado a decent run.

The thing about the Flames is with current travel restrictions we might see more of our Western Canadian foes, and I don't think we can afford to be the same soft team as last year.
The ticket out of the West in to be the better hockey team. The Jets were very bad last year, effectively wasting an incredible season by Hellebuyck.

My hope is that they improve substantially in the offseason, but they are still a top 4 D man away from fixing things on paper.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The ticket out of the West in to be the better hockey team. The Jets were very bad last year, effectively wasting an incredible season by Hellebuyck.

My hope is that they improve substantially in the offseason, but they are still a top 4 D man away from fixing things on paper.

Yeah, if they get that top 4 dmen then they will be a very competitive looking team on paper. It will be up to the coaches and players to perform on the ice.

Reactions: DashingDane

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Decent depth signing...

Pros:
1) could be really good depth player if bounces back from injury
2) no worse than Jets typical depth signings if he doesn't
3) cheap contract
4) no real term
5) decent potential with limited risk
6) what he's good at is something the Jets are really bad at (reducing shot quantity and quality against)
7) one of the things he's weak at is something the Jets are really good at

Cons:
1) No legitimate top 4 upside
2) Jets top end is a bigger need than depth since they have some guys that can pressbox already (Beaulieu, Sbisa)

This is the type of moves Jets should look at instead of Sbisa, Bitetto, Thompson, et al.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

Flames-Stars Series tilted when Tkachuk went down. The early rounds of the Bubble series saw a lot of star player go down to some pretty dirty hockey. But the best team did win. With their defense leading the way.

That top 4 d-man might be Ville Heinola. I'd sure like to see what Heinola and Pionk could do behind Ehlers-Stastny-Laine, seems like they would be attacking more than defending. Doesn't look like management are as confident in Samberg either off the hop. Which is a little disappointing, but it never hurts to have depth, him and Kovacevic could be the 1st wave up.

What I like about the defensive moves is we have 4 guys who had pretty good metrics on the PK last year in De Melo and Forbort. We got good metrics from Poolman and from Morrissey. Beaulieu and Sbisa struggled a bit more, but we also suffered from having some rather poor forwards in the rotation, especially with Appleton and Lowry out at different times. That's where a Nate Thompson could make a difference, if you can win the opening draw, and clear the zone, starts off the process well.

It seems like Roslovic or Claude Lemieux has asked out of Winnipeg that's probably our ticket to a decent a defenseman if we go that way. I am not sure how Chevy will roll from here on in. It's a different offseason, where cap space is the biggest mover.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Same thing last year. Yeah, depth, yeah injury replacement -- but it's still blowing 3 x 1million on red-flag maybes rather than spending that cash on 1 guy who can get the job done. Especially in a year where we've got real talent in the wings. Do not get.

But who knows? Hopefully Chevy.
And what happens when we get our annual 4 d out at once spell?

I'm willing to pass judgement once he plays some games. Maybe his back has gotten better? If it has, we have a solid if not spectacular top 4, and plenty of interesting options to round out the other three spots

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Seems like a good dude. Think he could be a solid partner for a guy like pionk

Click to expand thread

Reactions: hn777

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
I'd say Poolman outplayed Beaulieu by a good margin last year.
Poolboy would be in that top 6 ahead of him I would think.
Maurice giving 2 rookies top 6 rolls... not too likely to start.

I agree! Although it looks like a ranking, I was just using numbers to count out the bodies. I’m a big fan of Poolman for the money and love his attitude too

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
And what happens when we get our annual 4 d out at once spell?

I'm willing to pass judgement once he plays some games. Maybe his back has gotten better? If it has, we have a solid if not spectacular top 4, and plenty of interesting options to round out the other three spots

It's no use trying. If it's not a big name there will be little clamour here. Nevermind that we brought back the defenseman who led our team in +/- last year in both the regular season and playoffs and our toughest defenseman on a soft defense, a guy who probably turned our PK around last year as a waiver pickup, and then added a guy with terrific PK metrics last year with the Flames, who has a bond with some of our other defensemen. It's not like the players should get along or know each other, when there are bigger names out there. And it's not as though we should make an effort to improve the 30th overall PK last year. Realistically we could have been a top 3 team last year in the Central with the roster we had, if we hadn't given up so many shorthanded goals. The only good thing that came out of having such a bad penalty kill last year was the emphasis not to take penalties.

Reactions: Jet

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
It's no use trying. If it's not a big name there will be little clamour here. Nevermind that we brought back the defenseman who led our team in +/- last year in both the regular season and playoffs and our toughest defenseman on a soft defense, a guy who probably turned our PK around last year as a waiver pickup, and then added a guy with terrific PK metrics last year with the Flames, who has a bond with some of our other defensemen. It's not like the players should get along or know each other, when there are bigger names out there. And it's not as though we should make an effort to improve the 30th overall PK last year. Realistically we could have been a top 3 team last year in the Central with the roster we had, if we hadn't given up so many shorthanded goals. The only good thing that came out of having such a bad penalty kill last year was the emphasis not to take penalties.
The Jets were atrocious at 5 on 5 last year. Their issues were not isolated to the PK.

Reactions: sipowicz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad