Confirmed with Link: Derek Forbort 1x1

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
Maybe Chevy is filling out the roster with the players that have no other place to play, people have to get comfort with the fact that we will probably always be bottom feeders, draft and develop is probably the only way we consistently get A talent.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Greetings Jets fans, I bring you peace. You are now keeper of the gif.

4lsEIpl.gif

You won't hate Forbort as your bottom pair guy, he'll play a low risk game 15 minutes a night, and generally avoid being a liability.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Seems fine as a depth signing
Would prefer him on the bottom pairing, hopefully we can still get Hamonic

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
I don't hate Forbort in isolation or as a guaranteed 3rd pairing. He is definitely better than the other LD signing they've made this offseason. But I'm willing to put money on him being just good enough that Paul puts him with Pionk and pushes Samberg down to fight for the 3rd pairing. That could be fine for Samberg's development but doesn't solve the legit top 4 LD we are in need of.

A lot can still happen before the season but so far it feels like Chevy just kicked the can down the road a year.

Reactions: hn777 and AKAChip

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
He’s much better than Sbisa and reasonably better than Beaulieu. Really get the feeling Maurice doesn’t want either Samberg or Heinola in the lineup this season but at least this guy is serviceable.

Krauser

Oct 3, 2017
Chevy is trying to have the most 4th line/ 13th forward and 6-8th defencemen depth in the league. While having glaring holes higher up in the lineup. The ol shotgun approach.

Depth is good.

Depth might be especially important in a season being played on a condensed schedule during a global pandemic.

Reactions: DugSmail

Ossific

Aug 23, 2010
No he wasn't. He was a 3rd pairing playing top 4 minutes. Very different imo.
Go compare his stats for the last few seasons against other targets, like for instance Hamonic.. You won't find much difference other than he might be a little less offensively gifted.

Reactions: WiscoJet

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
Go compare his stats for the last few seasons against other targets, like for instance Hamonic.. You won't find much difference other than he might be a little less offensively gifted.
To add, go to the Stat trick and check out his career minutes against all the top players.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Chevy is trying to have the most 4th line/ 13th forward and 6-8th defencemen depth in the league. While having glaring holes higher up in the lineup. The ol shotgun approach. As for Hamonic i have read Winnipeg has not even talked to him so no interest i assume. I don't hate this signing I just wish we did this instead of Sbisa. It just sucks this is likelt Chevys top 4 guy. Maybe he tried all the actual top 4 UFA's? There is only a few of them, but he could have also looked the trade route maybe with Vegas or other teams. Maybe he tried everything, if that is the case then alright i guess. Essentially we need to hope one of Samberg/Heinola is solid and is a good player maybe even pushing for a #3/4 spot. We almost need that. Big ask but certainly it is possible. Side note, I don't hate having a big, physical defensive guy for the bottom pair and PK, we missed that last year, but if you have 5 of them out of your top 7 you are going the wrong way. Majority of recent cup winners have around 4 mobile, puck moving types nowadays. Not 4 big, black hole offence, depth defenders.

You're certainly right about skating being important on defense. Morrissey and Pionk are at the top end. Poolman is an underrated skater. He has good wheels. Puck movement isn't terrible either. For his first full NHL season he was 3rd on the Jets defense in scoring. Might have more to give with another year's experience. Samberg should fit that mold too, of being mobile, able to move the puck, and capable defending. Beaulieu was an offensive defenseman at one point in his career too. When his feet aren't broken his mobility is average. Puck moving not as much, but he's one of the few that will shoot from the point. De Melo is a decent enough skater and puck mover, not really much of a threat to attack the net though. Forbort and Sbisa are more of the black hole for offense. Down the pipeline Heinola is still an option, Gawanke has terrific skating potential if he puts its together. So there's more options available. I'm hoping as the kids progress, the Jets can change gears. But to start it's a two headed attack offensively, and 20- 25 point ceiling for all the other defensemen. That said might want to start out the season playing heavy. We are looking to be a tougher team for the next meeting with the Flames. And there could be more of them this year.

So far all the additions, except for Toninato address special teams. Stastny for the PP, everyone else for the PK. If we ever reach top 10 in both areas, good chance the Jets are a playoff team, because 5 on 5 should be relatively solid, and with have the goalie advantage on a lot of teams. Still think there is room for a RW. One who could play with Copp/Lowry and give the Jets a real energy line out of the 2015 line, with a lot more back to backs being on the schedule.

Reactions: ATLbound

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
No in LA he played every night with Drew for more than two seasons.

Yes, he definitely played. But they also sucked when he did. Notice when he started getting those minutes and then when they started missing the playoffs. Not that it was all his fault but he got top 4 minutes on a declining non playoff team. I think he will do well here. I just don't think he is a top 4 option.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles

Without question. I actually don't think he is a bad choice as long as he plays 3rd pairing. All I'm arguing is that he isn't top 4 (which I believe Paul will play him as).

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
Yes, he definitely played. But they also sucked when he did. Notice when he started getting those minutes and then when they started missing the playoffs. Not that it was all his fault but he got top 4 minutes on a declining non playoff team. I think he will do well here. I just don't think he is a top 4 option.
The Kings made the playoffs Forbort first full season with Doughty. However Forbort got hurt with two games left in season and did not play in a Vegas sweep over Kings.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
The Kings made the playoffs Forbort first full season with Doughty. However Forbort got hurt with two games left in season and did not play in a Vegas sweep over Kings.

They limped in on a wildcard and looked bad all season. There is a reason John Stevens only lasted just over a season. I happened to have season tickets the following season (wife is a Kings fan) so I got to watch him quite a bit. No problem if we disagree but I I'm pretty sure you won't be able to convince me he is a top 4LD option. If he is 3rd pairing for the Jets next season he is an upgrade compared to what we had.

Reactions: efhank

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad