GDT: Dec. 31 • Group A • United States 2, Canada 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
Previous games mean nothing because Team Canada is scientifically designed to beat USA :sarcasm:

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
Previous games mean nothing because Team Canada is scientifically designed to beat USA :sarcasm:

We basically actually did that in 2011.... While it worked, we lost to Russia.

We moved more towards a skill based team, but we still left out a couple of guys who really should a here.

Domi would do very well on this surface. Our bottom guys don't have to be grinders.

Sykwitit

Mar 2, 2013
Lol @ Canadians trying to play their team down and play the "underdog" rule, you guys could have lost to Germany and still would/will play us close....don't see this one being any different honestly, unless your goalie has a mental breakdown it won't be a blowout by any stretch.

Wildcarder

Oct 21, 2008
Toronto
I'm not sold on Canada's defense/goaltending and the US looks really strong this year. Never count Canada out against the US as it'll be an emotionally charged game as always but I'm not liking Canada's chances.

neutral*

Dumba is garbage hope he gets sat for Reinhart when he comes back

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
No teams are unbeatable when you've got a tough group of Canadian kids who aren't afraid to drop the gloves and defend their team. Should be a scrappy affair, but Canada will prevail. Too many Canadians on the team for them to lose.

So Canada will win because they have too many Canadians? I think we might have too many Americans so there goes that advantage :rolleyes:

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Dumba is garbage hope he gets sat for Reinhart when he comes back

I still think Bigras is the bigger problem. Dumba will make some nice plays to go along with the bad ones, but Bigras is far more slanted on the negative side. Someone on these boards compared his puck control to shuffling a live hand grenade, which sounds about right so far.

Last edited:

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Canada better be prepared to skate and they better not give up the first goal early like they have every single game. This is on Sutter to have these guys pumped up, but not jittery. I'm really hoping that Griffin provides a stable influence on the back end, but not playing so far worries me. The team has played from behind enough in this tournament that hopefully that helps them stay calm and keep playing hard if they get down. Gilles is a fantastic goalie, so they better be prepared to jam the net, get screens, rebounds, tips and ugly goals. This is such a young team, but the potential is there for greatness. They just have to come together a bit more, play a team game, and go full throttle. Win this game and the path to the semis is much easier. I want unbridled, but controlled aggression. Just stay out of the penalty box. It's killing us.

Lets have a great hard, but clean game and steal a win.

Love this quote. Unbridled literally means "not controlled".

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
I'm a bigger fan of team USA than the Wild but I'd really like to see Dumba have a nice game considering the criticism he's received so far.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Lots of talk of saying we aren't that good.

We are that good, we're very young though, and lots of first timers.

I'm likely one of the few Canadians who didn't expect this to be a breeze.

When do we take 2 17 year old and a 16 year old overseas ?

When do we ever even take 2 17 year olds ?

This was never going to be a a cake walk, they were going to hit a few bumps.

Is USA the favourite of course, plenty of returnees.

Our guys have big game experience, they're going to step it up.

They dominated the game against the Slovaks, but got into penalty trouble, and got caught being fancy to often.

Same thing with being too fancy against the Czechs, but they answered every goal.

Too many of us Canadians are looking only at the negatives, this team is a little over confident. However they don't quit.

I think they'll win today.
Other than the fact that the US does not, in fact, have plenty of returnees, this post is bang-on. Canada hasn't been nearly as bad as people think and we are still very much a major contender in this tournament. However, we can't get to worried about the result either way. We have won the NYE game several times to take the group, only to have a let down in the medal round rematch.

TonsofPuppies*

Mar 11, 2010
Toronto, ON
Canada has been unimpressive thus far. This, combined with our typical mediocre to bad goaltending, will not result in much success. I expect USA to take it 5-2 or 6-3.

Last edited:

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
A true test? How do you figure this is "a true test"? Canada lost a game and played about even with SVK - a team US man-handled. US should run away with this one by a wide margin.

Oh, really... :laugh:

Can't wait, this is of course a big game for us.

Last edited:

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Compared to us that is.

Really need to read what I'm posting, before posting it.

It's not just about this year's team, I think many people are a bit negative because this tournament isn't a an automatic gold anymore. Our teams have really fallen on their faces the past few years especially the past 2 or 3. I don't even want to bring up the embarrassment of last year. Our country sure develops a lot of individual talent but team wise we've lacked big time since we last won gold. Our depth seems to have hit a wall too IMO, or it could be countries like the U.S are starting to develop more and more players. Either way, as a Canadian who wasn't all RAH RAH we're going to kill everybody, there is a reason some of us are worried.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Lol @ Canadians trying to play their team down and play the "underdog" rule, you guys could have lost to Germany and still would/will play us close....don't see this one being any different honestly, unless your goalie has a mental breakdown it won't be a blowout by any stretch.

We haven't developed a star goalie since Carey Price, and he hasn't played a WJHC game in 6 years. Fucale or Paterson have to step up. I am so sick of our goalies laying eggs in big games. And also would be nice if we scored the first goal. The last 2 tournaments we sure LOVE to give up the lead early. Subban last year was alright for the most part but wasn't really stellar when it mattered, he then heads back to back to Belleville and finishes his season strong..guaranteed one of these guys blows up over here and then heads back to their junior team and stands on their heads. So typical lately with our goalies.

Last edited:

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Make the preemptive excuses, set the bar low for success, and you can never look like you were wrong or gloating when your team loses.

Go Team 'Murica!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad