GDT: Dec. 31 • Group A • United States 2, Canada 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penalty Kill Icing*

No teams are unbeatable when you've got a tough group of Canadian kids who aren't afraid to drop the gloves and defend their team. Should be a scrappy affair, but Canada will prevail. Too many Canadians on the team for them to lose.

Lost it at the last part. :laugh:

Obviously no teams are unbeatable and I wouldn't even be surprised if Canada are the favorites but odd to list Canada's willingness to drop their gloves as a reason for why Canada can win. I'm sure previous Canadian teams (with many Canadians on them...) have been willing to "defend" their team but it hasn't helped them from not winning gold in a few years.
It is a parody account.

SourGrapes

You Kids Out There
Dec 30, 2013
Mimico
Obviously no teams are unbeatable and I wouldn't even be surprised if Canada are the favorites but odd to list Canada's willingness to drop their gloves as a reason for why Canada can win. I'm sure previous Canadian teams (with many Canadians on them...) have been willing to "defend" their team but it hasn't helped them from not winning gold in a few years.

Alright, lemme explain. I like to use the 1987 team as an example. Best team Canada's ever assembled. They could hit, they could score, and boy, could they fight. Best team ever assembled.

Fast-forward to today, and Canada doesn't have those same types of players that'll drop the mitts or hip-check a guy in order to win. I really think Canada should've brought Samuel Morin. Tough kid, can hit and fight incredibly well. No reason for Ekblad to be on the team, he's wearing a cage on his helmet. How do you fight with a cage on?

Shame the Roy boys are over-age now, they would've been great additions to the squad. Don't know how they aren't in the NHL by now, but I digress.

Passing up Morin was a huge mistake, especially when you have players with cages on that can't fight. You need at least one guy that can fight, Morin would've been it.

At least they got the most important aspect right, the team is all Canadian. Any time you have a team made up of Canadians, your chances of winning increase a fair amount.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
Griff makes his tournament debut this game. Hope he shakes off the rust early after not playing for a while.

Starbuds

You like muscles?
Mar 28, 2010
Canada will win based on strength derived from surviving the Canadian elements.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Canada hasn't looked very good so far
/
/
/
/
/
Which really worries me!

Should be a great game

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
5-2 USA. As always, USA's goalie will be better than Canada's and that will be the difference.

Also, good luck to the moderators tomorrow. I hope a lot of them are assigned to the GDT. It's going to be Canadian fans vs. everyone else, believe me.

EDIT: As someone else said, a win could mean Switzerland and then Finland. No disrespect to both nations, but that's way better than Russia and then Sweden just to get to the Gold Medal game.

Oct 15, 2008
5-2 USA. As always, USA's goalie will be better than Canada's and that will be the difference.

Also, good luck to the moderators tomorrow. I hope a lot of them are assigned to the GDT. It's going to be Canadian fans vs. everyone else, believe me.

EDIT: As someone else said, a win could mean Switzerland and then Finland. No disrespect to both nations, but that's way better than Russia and then Sweden just to get to the Gold Medal game.

Bah, if youre the best then people are afraid to play you, not the other way around.

Nash

Jul 23, 2004
Vancouver
Canada better be prepared to skate and they better not give up the first goal early like they have every single game. This is on Sutter to have these guys pumped up, but not jittery. I'm really hoping that Griffin provides a stable influence on the back end, but not playing so far worries me. The team has played from behind enough in this tournament that hopefully that helps them stay calm and keep playing hard if they get down. Gilles is a fantastic goalie, so they better be prepared to jam the net, get screens, rebounds, tips and ugly goals. This is such a young team, but the potential is there for greatness. They just have to come together a bit more, play a team game, and go full throttle. Win this game and the path to the semis is much easier. I want unbridled, but controlled aggression. Just stay out of the penalty box. It's killing us.

Lets have a great hard, but clean game and steal a win.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Canada might be at home against another North American team. USA are very good, but something tells me it will be a tight game both ways. Should be fun!

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
the Canadian D will have to be on their game. No Dumbaing around. and if there's ever a game Canada needs McDavid to show up for, it's this one. They need the offensive depth.

On the plus side, Canada seems to have found a PP configuration that's working for them, and Nic Petan has finally decided to show up. Aaron Ekblad has been excellent and Reinhart should make them more stable on the blue line. On the other hand, that woeful PK is going to bite them in the ass again if they don't get those kinks worked out. and if Drouin and Mantha should be unable to carry this team, it could be a long 60 minutes.

and, well, the penalties...

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
It should also be interesting to watch McDavid vs Eichel.

You have to hope if you're Canada that matchup fires up McDavid a little, most of the true great ones have that element of drive. I know you want him to have it all the time, but something about this is my age rival with a lot of them that makes something click.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
Lots of talk of saying we aren't that good.

We are that good, we're very young though, and lots of first timers.

I'm likely one of the few Canadians who didn't expect this to be a breeze.

When do we take 2 17 year old and a 16 year old overseas ?

When do we ever even take 2 17 year olds ?

This was never going to be a a cake walk, they were going to hit a few bumps.

Is USA the favourite of course, plenty of returnees.

Our guys have big game experience, they're going to step it up.

They dominated the game against the Slovaks, but got into penalty trouble, and got caught being fancy to often.

Same thing with being too fancy against the Czechs, but they answered every goal.

Too many of us Canadians are looking only at the negatives, this team is a little over confident. However they don't quit.

I think they'll win today.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
S. Reinhart is 18. But last year you did.

Dam his late birthdate, and what I should of wrote was when do we ever have 2 17 year olds playing prominent roles.

Our best D is 17, in his first WJC and McDavid is 16 playing a big role. Mistakes are to be expected, regardless of age.

Anyways I'm not surprised by our lack lustre play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad