Deals and Steals 2

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
I ended up getting the Arris Surfboard SB6141 from Bestbuy as i had a gift card. I also will need a capable AC Wifi Router. I have an N Router now and it is fine but im getting limited speeds from my comcast blast internet. They say i should be getting 150mb but im getting around 15 down and 10 up.

If you're only getting 15 down and 10 up, I wouldn't think that should have to do anything with an N class router, not unless the router has really aged and is performing well below standard. I'm going by memory, and may not be on the money, but I believe most N standard routers will do 150 mbps, with some doing 300.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Just ordered some sennheiser hd650's off massdrop for $199. They won't deliver until December but that's a hell of a deal.

Great set of cans, but they're unique to the audience and the ones Massdrop is distributing aren't identical to the 650's. They're a slightly different, albeit acoustically similar headphone. I think manufacturer is one of the big changes if I remember correctly, they get the prices down by doing volume in China for other retailers.

For anyone curious, I do recommend an amp. They're open headphones with a warmer sound signature. I personally listen to my HE-400S more since it's not as warm of a sound and they fit better. The K7XX are also a more neutral sound and do not need any amp.

If you need an amp/dac (or want one), Schitt makes the best products in my opinion. Just grab a M&M (Modi and Magni) stack any time of year since they do not do sales. Headfi has a second hand market with generally reputable people you can get well cared for hardware from.

Jacques The Mayor

Aug 29, 2011
wastings mn
Great set of cans, but they're unique to the audience and the ones Massdrop is distributing aren't identical to the 650's. They're a slightly different, albeit acoustically similar headphone. I think manufacturer is one of the big changes if I remember correctly, they get the prices down by doing volume in China for other retailers.

For anyone curious, I do recommend an amp. They're open headphones with a warmer sound signature. I personally listen to my HE-400S more since it's not as warm of a sound and they fit better. The K7XX are also a more neutral sound and do not need any amp.

If you need an amp/dac (or want one), Schitt makes the best products in my opinion. Just grab a M&M (Modi and Magni) stack any time of year since they do not do sales. Headfi has a second hand market with generally reputable people you can get well cared for hardware from.

They claim they're made at the same manufacturer in Ireland as all the other sennheisers. This is if my first plunge into the audiophile world so thanks on the recommendation for the modi and magni. The stipulation with massdrop is that they won't ship till December so that give me some time to get a dac/amp combo.

They're also offering some audio technica ath-m50x for $119 I might buy as a set of portable headphones. Do you have any experience with those headphones?

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I haven't owned them, but everyone says they're a great pair. Depends what you're going for, sound quality or overall package. They're a great bang per buck in all categories but there are some headphones in that category that sound as good or better.

The 5XX series AKGs from Massdrop for instance. Or I believe the 700 series from Beyerdynamic. (7 or 800 is closed back).

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Just ordered some sennheiser hd650's off massdrop for $199. They won't deliver until December but that's a hell of a deal.

I thought about joining the drop for those, then I realized I don't know what I would do with two sets of open back headphones (I already own the DT990 250 ohm and ATH-m50x cans), so I can compare/contrast open vs closed.

I do like the m50x's, they're a DJ style headphone, and different soundstage. Not sure how well I would describe them as portable, but they do fold up, and $120 is a good price for them.

I use the Beyers most often because I do like the open backed better and the pads are super comfortable. I have a Xduoo tube amp (TA-02) that I bought through Massdrop, as well as a Sound Blaster external USB sound card/DAC, and the combo quality it pretty good.

If I was going to get another type of headphone, I'd get some planar ones, the Monolith ones from Monoprice are supposed to be good, but never in stock. I've read bad things about the Qc of Audeze, although Hifiman has popped up on MD before too, and those get good raves from /r/headphones.

But then again, if I was going to drop close to $400 on cans, I'd probably still some Bose for the ANC. Was slightly temped by the HD 700 for $400, but then I was like, I really need to save money. :cry:

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
^^^First things first, those things are literally on sale year round and go this low on black Friday or prime day pretty much every single year. This is not a special sale for those that might feel tempted.

Second, those sennheisers truly are nothing special. Very weak bass and average sound in my experience. Also extremely large and bulky. I own them and only rarely pull them out. I'm not going to pretend to be an uahdkophile but those headphones really don't have anything to offer that any of the other similarly priced headphones on Amazon offer for 10-20 bucks more (they most likey will have far better bass too)

If you're not an audiophile like me spend the extra 20-30 bucks on a decent pair of Bluetooth headphones and have a much better experience. You will not know the difference in sound quality.

I have a genuine suspicion that plenty of the mystique around Sennheiser is pure astroturfing.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Is this really what Prime Day is all about? Was pretty stoked for it being a member this year but all I see is random deals on a bunch of odd items in every department. I literally see better deals in the weekly flyers that fill the mailbox.

Moving in month I was ready to clean up on household items nothing.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Is this really what Prime Day is all about? Was pretty stoked for it being a member this year but all I see is random deals on a bunch of odd items in every department. I literally see better deals in the weekly flyers that fill the mailbox.

Moving in month I was ready to clean up on household items nothing.

Depends what you're looking for. The Hue starter kits on 3rd gen bulbs are a solid deal, I also found a chef's knife I had been eyeballing for months for $30 lower than its lowest price.

This has probably been the best Prime Day yet, the last two years were just cheap imported goods $5-$10 off their standard prices.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
I guess if I was in the market for LED lights, portable power banks, blackhead removers or aromatherapy diffusers I'd be in heaven.

Kidding. But not really as I scroll past these four items hundreds of times.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad