Deals and Steals 2

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
As opposed to everyone telling this guy to go Seins all the way - only to be crushed in disappointment? I tried both, and one had amazing sound (Beats) the other were just whatever... I'm happy with my purchase, he isn't following advice of people who are hell bent on making sure Beats are $20 and the others are not.

Get real they're both 20 dollars in parts. One markets to the masses, the other goes on sale 12 times a year as "high end". But get people fighting tooth and nail they're better. Screw a person over in their purchase.

Well done, you made a sale for a company you have no stake in but made a person disappointed in the process. Internet debate won I guess?

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
As opposed to everyone telling this guy to go Seins all the way - only to be crushed in disappointment? I tried both, and one had amazing sound (Beats) the other were just whatever... I'm happy with my purchase, he isn't following advice of people who are hell bent on making sure Beats are $20 and the others are not.

Get real they're both 20 dollars in parts. One markets to the masses, the other goes on sale 12 times a year as "high end". But get people fighting tooth and nail they're better. Screw a person over in their purchase.

Well done, you made a sale for a company you have no stake in but made a person disappointed in the process. Internet debate won I guess?

Wo, coming on a bit strong here. Whose to say he would have enjoyed his overpriced Beats? I didn't even recommend the 598's, I don't like them myself. All cans have unique sound signatures, I prefer different Senns.

And no, Sennheiser's are not $20 to manufacture unless you picked up a production run from China of a low end set. It's just ignorant assuming so, Beats have been well documented for using inferior parts and selling then for a premium. The same cannot be said of Beyerdynamic, Sennheiser, AKG or other well respected brands. The only caveat is they sometimes do production runs in China for bulk purchases which can put into question the quality.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Didn't beats put weights in their headphones to make them seem of higher quality? Like actual weights that served no other purpose. Also, according to Avery Louis a pair of beats costs about $16.89 to make. I don't know how that compares to other brands. Just passing along info I have read.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
I know this isn't the level of headphone most of you guys are talking about - but after having used Sony and Altec Lansing earbuds, I love the AKG Quincy Jones Signature Series Q460 phones I have. They're just a fold-up pair, so obviously can't compete with some of the heavier, less portable pairs you guys have - but man, the sound difference going from those earbuds to these AKG's is big!

Didn't hurt that I got them on the cheap - they were actually a display pair that had the leather coming out of one of the ear pieces. A little white glue, and careful work with a toothpick to reinsert the leather, and you would never know they weren't new.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Didn't beats put weights in their headphones to make them seem of higher quality? Like actual weights that served no other purpose. Also, according to Avery Louis a pair of beats costs about $16.89 to make. I don't know how that compares to other brands. Just passing along info I have read.

That turned out to be a hoax, the guy that did the teardown admitted to it.

Anyways, Im not a fan of beats either I find them insanely overpriced, but at least they have some bass. These sennheisers have extremely weak bass in comparison. Maybe I'm wrong but I dont see it as a "different sound signature" thing. If you're going to make a pair of headphones this large and expensive they should have good bass. I figured when people said beats are more bass heavy versus sennheisers they didn't mean that the beats actually had bass.

And also, Beats and Bose have demos everywhere. At least people can know what they're getting. Thats the annoying thing about sennheiser. You have to go purely by reviews almost.

Anyways I'm not crushed or disappointed, they're okay headphones, and its nice they come with a 2 year manufacturer warranty, but damn the hype is kind of over the top. These are not significantly better than any 80 dollar pair of headphones. Those 15$ headphones I mentioned I picked up at a liquidation store usually go for around 80-90 bucks. I dont have the box anymore and the company name is not on them but I checked amazon before I bought them. The sennheisers are not significantly better outside of comfort (way more comfortable) and they look way worse.

I have a feeling the amazon reviews are either manipulated or the people reviewing them are delusional. When these headphones went up on amazon there were 3 reviews up. I bought them and before I even got the headphones in the mail there were 40 reviews online. So these people reviewed them almost immediately when they got them. You're telling me these are not people that just want that pat on the back for their purchase?

Just my opinion, but these headphones are barely worth it at 110 dollars canadian, and anyone who says they're worth it at full price 300 is either delusional or got a "review" model

I mean again, they're alright, I'm keeping them and I'll look around for a decent priced DAC, but the reviews I've seen were very unhelpful.

Last edited:

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Didn't see it posted but best buy has a buy 2 get 1 free on PS4/Xbox1 games.

In order words if you have the gamers club, you can get 3 (full priced only) games for $95.98 (with gamersclub it is $47.99 per game not including tax)

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Wo, coming on a bit strong here. Whose to say he would have enjoyed his overpriced Beats? I didn't even recommend the 598's, I don't like them myself. All cans have unique sound signatures, I prefer different Senns.

And no, Sennheiser's are not $20 to manufacture unless you picked up a production run from China of a low end set. It's just ignorant assuming so, Beats have been well documented for using inferior parts and selling then for a premium. The same cannot be said of Beyerdynamic, Sennheiser, AKG or other well respected brands. The only caveat is they sometimes do production runs in China for bulk purchases which can put into question the quality.

Definitely went too strong with the post, another reminder why internet after drinking is a terrible plan. My apologies. Vaguely remember posting it.

Could have made my viewpoint much better.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
If you're after Planet Earth II on Blu-ray (who uses discs anymore? gift for my in-laws), it's super cheap to get a region-free copy via Amazon.co.uk. Way cheaper than any offerings I've seen in the US or Canada. Came out to about $30 CAN.

Dave

Oct 27, 2009
Kerbal Space Program is on sale at an all time low on the KSP website. Redeemable steam key too.

$18 cdn compared to it being $44 cdn on steam atm.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
I got a SanDisk Extreme Pro 64GB SDXC Memory Card normally retailed at $299.99 for only $39.99 at Best Buy at Chandler Fashion Center. I also got $5 dollars off with my My Best Buy gift certificate, so it actually costs $34.99. I had to get it because my memory card for my digital camera (yes, I still use a digital camera) cracked and I was afraid that I would lose the photos on it. You can get one on BestBuy.com for $37.99. Pretty good deal, if you ask me.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I'm very happy with my holiday season pickups this year. It was a lot of money over such a short period of time but when I consider these were all games that I had considered buying (some even pre-ordered before i cancelled) at $80 a piece..I saved myself a crap load of money.

Final Fantasy XV (PS4) - $52
Watch Dogs 2 (PS4) - $48
Dishonored 2 (PS4) - $53
EA Sports UFC 2 (PS4) - $20
Tales Of Zestiria (PS4) - $17
Skyrim SE (XB1) - $52
Dead Rising 4 (XB1) - $50
Mafia III (XB1) - $20
ReCore (XB1) - $25

Plus Saints Row IV: Re-Elected (PS4) for $4, Unravel (PS4) for $5 and the 2 Witcher 3 DLC expansions (Blood and Wine & Hearts Of Stone) for a combined $19.

I learned a valuable lesson this year. Only in extremely rare circumstances should I buy a game right away when it releases. Seems like in most cases the prices can drop pretty quickly.

Last edited:

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007

For those who still have Target in their country.

Apparently things like Nier and Horizon are also in the promotion.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Man sennheiser always puts the hd 598's on sale at huge discounts, and every time I want to get them. But I don't really need them.
I bought them on sale, they're not worth 300 bucks. They're at best worth what they're on sale for (usually 100 bucks)

And even that's a stretch. They're a mediocre pair of headphones in my opinion.

EdIt:

I just realized that post is 2 years old.

Last edited:

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
My Brainwavz earbuds I use for hiking are still working great. Shocking for me as I usually kill earbuds. These are the first expensive ones I have boughten in years and they actually are lasting at 6 months now.

M2_12.jpg

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
What are the best over-ear noise cancelling headphones, as far as value goes? Looking for good bang for buck.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Any recommendations on a Modem for under $100? Comcast blast internet currently and i have Roku, Chromecast, Macbook, iMac, Dell Latitude Laptop, iPhones.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->