Rumor: Deal for Kruger/Shaw & Bickell to EDM?

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Too much time on my hands maybe, but here's a scenario I thought about. Teuvo is the third line center who continues building on his strong defensive performance from last season, and pairs with Hossa to create a shutdown/secondary scoring line.
TT and Hossa together could help eachother.

So something like:

Schmaltz (if he signs)-Toews-Panik
Panarin-Anisimov-Kane
Hartman-Teravainen-Hossa
Desi-??-??

Sorry for resurrecting this, but if a player wore the Indianhead sweater last season, they cost certainly DID NOT have a strong defensive performance. Maybe passably adequate at best, but we just saw the worst 'hawks Team-D/Puck Possession since 1989.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Sorry for resurrecting this, but if a player wore the Indianhead sweater last season, they cost certainly DID NOT have a strong defensive performance. Maybe passably adequate at best, but we just saw the worst 'hawks Team-D/Puck Possession since 1989.

I agree with this, but relative to the rest of the team, Teuvo was great defensively.

Working from a -10.96 ZSO%Rel (toughest starts among regulars on the team outside Kruger, Desjardins, Danault, and Hammer) he provided:

+1.01 CF%Rel

+3.02 SF%Rel

+3.13 SCF%Rel

+5.90 HDSCf%Rel

To put that in perspective, all of those numbers are better than every player who played on the top line (aside from Teuvo, obviously), despite the top line seeing easier starts.

Unfortunately for Teuvo, he had a sub-100 PDO (ie, below-average luck) so all that work and performance didn't bring about goals. The nice thing about PDO tho, it tends to even out.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
If the cap is expected to remain flat then I can see why Kruger is on the block. Unfortunate the Hawks have gotten hosed by oil prices, dollar rally, etc.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
If the cap is expected to remain flat then I can see why Kruger is on the block. Unfortunate the Hawks have gotten hosed by oil prices, dollar rally, etc.

What changed from a couple months back cap wise? Why did Bowman sign him if he wanted to drop him? No one can say he wanted him then but now he does not because nothing has really changed...

marco1475

Mar 17, 2015
What changed from a couple months back cap wise? Why did Bowman sign him if he wanted to drop him? No one can say he wanted him then but now he does not because nothing has really changed...

I don't see Kruger being moved either, I think he's too valuable to the team.

Having said that, Kruger took that team-friendly one-year deal last offseason with a verbal agreement of a better contract to come. This could be Bowman's way of repaying that favor - signing Kruger to the promised contract and then trading him ensures that Kruger gets paid, but due to the cap the Hawks won't be the ones paying him ...

Maybe getting rid of Bickell requires a stronger sweetener than just Shaw :/

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007

That was Daley saying that without an escalator. Then, Betteman said $1.5- $2 million higher and a chance to go high because of the Can$ rally. I am expecting around $74 with a high end of $74.8 mil

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
That was Daley saying that without an escalator. Then, Betteman said $1.5- $2 million higher and a chance to go high because of the Can$ rally. I am expecting around $74 with a high end of $74.8 mil

Phew. Thanks for the clarification.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
I agree with this, but relative to the rest of the team, Teuvo was great defensively.

Working from a -10.96 ZSO%Rel (toughest starts among regulars on the team outside Kruger, Desjardins, Danault, and Hammer) he provided:

+1.01 CF%Rel

+3.02 SF%Rel

+3.13 SCF%Rel

+5.90 HDSCf%Rel

To put that in perspective, all of those numbers are better than every player who played on the top line (aside from Teuvo, obviously), despite the top line seeing easier starts.

Unfortunately for Teuvo, he had a sub-100 PDO (ie, below-average luck) so all that work and performance didn't bring about goals. The nice thing about PDO tho, it tends to even out.
I won't disagree that compared to the rest he wasn't a defensive liability, but bad Team D is bad team D. The real question is if he scales with the rest of the squad: i.e. if the core actually played decent D this past season would T²'s numbers rise with it or stay in place?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad