Rumor: Deal for Kruger/Shaw & Bickell to EDM?

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
There's little question we are lucky to have a fantastic GM. Not a perfect GM, but a fantastic GM nonetheless.

A bit more control exerted over his coach's lineup management and one or two years worth of early playoff exits while we integrate the young talent into the lineup, and we're in good shape.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
There's little question we are lucky to have a fantastic GM. Not a perfect GM, but a fantastic GM nonetheless.

A bit more control exerted over his coach's lineup management and one or two years worth of early playoff exits while we integrate the young talent into the lineup, and we're in good shape.

Or you give your future HOF coach control over roster ,, And end this nonsense in which Stanley acquires trash then expects Q to play them

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Lmao complaining about bad contracts than pining for a guy who is giving Matt Carle and Jason Garrison over $10 million a year for the next 3 years

From Stanley Bowman's official Bio on Hawks site

Bowman originally joined the Blackhawks in 2000 and spent four seasons as Special Assistant to the General Manager before being promoted to Director of Hockey Operations, a role he served in for two years (2005-07). In his most recent role as Assistant General Manager, Bowman attended to the day-to-day administration of the Blackhawks Hockey Operations Department, including all CBA-related matters, such as contract negotiations, free agency, salary arbitration and player movement and assignment. He also tracked the progress of the Blackhawks prospects by working closely with the staff of the club’s minor-league affiliate in Rockford while assisting with player evaluation, prospect development and professional and amateur scouting.

I guess if you are going to blame TB Assistant GM for things like Carle contract Stanley is 100% to blame for various horrid contracts and all of Dale's awful UFA deals

Also confirms Stanley is to blame for RFA offer sheet fiasco

Only fair by the standard you have set forth with regard to TB Assistant GM

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
You don't comprehend things very well do you?

Stating 1 situation that has actually reporting behind it (unlike anything you post) does not mean that it is every situation.

I will put as simple as I can for you because you seem to be struggling here.

Stan is at fault for Bickell but McD forced his hand when he mandated that they had to keep Bickell. Stan should have stood his ground and not signed Bickell but he didn't. Who is at Fault? 50% Stan and 50% McD.

You need to stop making stuff up and actually and try an present facts or even reports because it will help you from getting absolutely dismantled.

Speaking of facts. The Blackhawks are not in the habit of revealing what goes on behind closed doors.

Can we please get your source for this 'McD forced his hand" that was supposedly widely reported?

No doubt Stan has had his good and bad moments in the trade/acquiring of players - but the inflated contracts (often with NMC's) he has given out have been his biggest weakness and Hawks have already begun paying for it and will continue to do so.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
I blame Bickell for his lousy contract, not Stan. Everything was perfect timing for Bickell. He caught fire and had the playoffs of his life in a friggin contract year. Bowman and management obviously thought losing Buff a few years earlier killed the team and they seen Bickell as an on the rise Buff type forward, they were not going to lose that again. It was perfect timing for Bickell and awful timing for the Hawks, then of course Bickell ended up a friggin bust. If Bickell's contract would have been up in 2014 instead of 13 this never would have happened. It has hurt us for sure but on this one I can't just point the finger at Bowman, the timing of it all was what screwed the Hawks. I think pretty much every GM would have signed Bickell in the same situation.

Now if you want to finger point at him for the go for it trades this past deadline that cost us a bunch and we still went out first round then I am with that.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
From Stanley Bowman's official Bio on Hawks site

I guess if you are going to blame TB Assistant GM for things like Carle contract Stanley is 100% to blame for various horrid contracts and all of Dale's awful UFA deals

Only fair by the standard you have set forth with regard to TB Assistant GM

Of course Stan is responsible for the contracts he gives. No GM is perfect. That said the Hawks have won a Cup subsequent to the Bickell deal, it's not like that contract cratered the franchise. Every team has at least one bad deal on it

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Speaking of facts. The Blackhawks are not in the habit of revealing what goes on behind closed doors.

Can we please get your source for this 'McD forced his hand" that was supposedly widely reported?

No doubt Stan has had his good and bad moments in the trade/acquiring of players - but the inflated contracts (often with NMC's) he has given out have been his biggest weakness and Hawks have already begun paying for it and will continue to do so.

I will go back and try to find the articles/podcasts but fact is the not the right word. A better phrase would be that it was widely reported. You are right about things being buttoned up 99% of the time.

Zawalski, Powers, and Laz were the writers that I recall talking or writing about this of the top of my head.

Last edited:

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
I will go back and try to find the articles/podcasts but fact is the not the right word. A better phrase would be that it was widely reported. You are right about things being buttoned up 99% of the time.

Zawalski, Powers, and Laz were the writers that I recall talking or writing about this of the top of my head.

Yeah, it's not a fact, but there was a bunch of reporting that there was significant pressure from the top to re-sign the Blackhawks playoff hero. Elliott Freidman and Jeff Marek were among the ones reporting it up in Canada as well.

I'd buy it, even more so after the 2015 Sportsnet mini-featurette on the Blackhawks where Mcdonough beat the drum that consistency and continuity of management and players was critical, otherwise fans can't get attached and stay attached to the team/brand.

Bickell's regression has been significant. He's a worse player now than in 2011-2012, let alone 2012-2013, 2013-2014. Who knows why. Maybe health, maybe 'laziness', whatever. He's been in the top 6 for the better part of 2 Stanley Cups, so as far as 'crippling' contracts go, I'd say the team managed all right.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
Yeah that is before I realized how awful a GM he was and how much I missed even Tallon in comparison

Bowman is a bottom 3rd GM who only has a job because of two things

1) His name
2) The way he stabbed Tallon in back and set up the RFA fiasco

:laugh:

Like I get that you dont like Stan but you seriously need to stop fabricating things to fit your narrative. Do you have any kind of link or proof that's what happened? I'm more inclined to believe it was a blunder by Tallon who is on record saying he hates doing contracts and this summer when he got promoted even went as far as to say he was "relieved he doesn't have to do contracts anymore and can spend all his time scouting". But yeah, Bowman setting him makes so much more sense for the narrative. If I'm being completely honest, I blame the entire front office for the RFA debacle. No one person should take the blame for that. Theres no way something like that should slip threw the cracks. But alleging that Bowman set him up is downright insane and completely baseless though (like most of your arguments).

And you do realize that McD wanted Tallon out before long before that RFA fiasco even happened? The biggest rift came because Tallon wanted to resign Havlat and the rest of the management wanted to sign Hossa instead. Hossa over Havlat... another #StanleyBlunder

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Q >>>>>> Bowman

Q is HOF coach and far more important part to success of this organization

Stanley ultimately cost Hawks chance to compete this year with his performance

Like how? Like not playing Keith with seabrook until game 5? Like not demoting Hossa off line 1 until game 5. Q AND Bowman have their faults, but you don't win 3 titles in a short span with idiots behind the wheel. Could this team have been even better? Sure? Certain contracts with better value, maybe, trade a bit better at times? Sure. but look at Pittsburgh, had all the talent and monetary means in the world, and they won 1 title and are just now finally getting back. Its not easy and I respect the job they have both done.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I blame Bickell for his lousy contract, not Stan. Everything was perfect timing for Bickell. He caught fire and had the playoffs of his life in a friggin contract year. Bowman and management obviously thought losing Buff a few years earlier killed the team and they seen Bickell as an on the rise Buff type forward, they were not going to lose that again. It was perfect timing for Bickell and awful timing for the Hawks, then of course Bickell ended up a friggin bust. If Bickell's contract would have been up in 2014 instead of 13 this never would have happened. It has hurt us for sure but on this one I can't just point the finger at Bowman, the timing of it all was what screwed the Hawks. I think pretty much every GM would have signed Bickell in the same situation.

Now if you want to finger point at him for the go for it trades this past deadline that cost us a bunch and we still went out first round then I am with that.

Bickell's contract was terrible at the time. Go look at the thread when the signing was announced. A number of us knew immediately it would be a disaster.

The 'playoffs of his life' that you refer to were off a shooting % of almost 20%. It was completely obvious that he wasn't going to replicate that - and he'd already shown himself to be lazy during the regular season.

H a w k s*

May 18, 2012
Bickell's contract was terrible at the time. Go look at the thread when the signing was announced. A number of us knew immediately it would be a disaster.

The 'playoffs of his life' that you refer to were off a shooting % of almost 20%. It was completely obvious that he wasn't going to replicate that - and he'd already shown himself to be lazy during the regular season.

Except his lack of production after signing said contract. Has more to do injuries sapping a player who's main skill was skating for a big guy. Nothing to do with laziness. The guy had surgery right after he signed the deal. When he came back he played well then injured his other knee and never was the same. Basically, the guy can't skate anymore at the NHL level.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008

Except his lack of production after signing said contract. Has more to do injuries sapping a player who's main skill was skating for a big guy. Nothing to do with laziness. The guy had surgery right after he signed the deal. When he came back he played well then injured his other knee and never was the same. Basically, the guy can't skate anymore at the NHL level.

Before the BIG contract Bickell gave LARGE discount to have a 1 way contract. Told me all I needed to know. He wasn't going to bust tail to stay/excel in the NHL. One fortunate playoff later we know what happened.

BigClemMacdonald

Dec 11, 2011
Some of Q's coaching decisions leave me scratching my head. But, he's top 3 in coaching wins. Although, sometimes I think he's the benefactor of talented teams.

That being said, his love of veterans past their prime (Rozy & Zeus the year before) has hindered this team IMO.

I'm not sure why he refused to play Ehrhoff last year even though he's 10x better than Rozy at this point and he gets the puck on net steady.

I don't know why he didn't have him quarterbacking the second PP unit. :facepalm:

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Q >>>>>> Bowman

Q is HOF coach and far more important part to success of this organization

Stanley ultimately cost Hawks chance to compete this year with his performance

Nonsense, Q's run here has demonstrated that he can only win the ultimate prize if provided with a Q-proofed roster. And even then, he hasn't been above #freshlegs-ing it all up at times.

Q is a great coach, but without Stan's ability to restock the depth on this roster on the fly to near un-***-upable levels every few seasons, he's probably got a few more disappointing 1st round exists and a few less cups.

There's a reason why Q never coached a team past the second round before he came to Chicago. He was Boudreau 1.0 before he landed in a situation with a GM that could provide him the tools to get over the hump.

Last edited:

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013

Opinions in here are meaningless. Bickell would have gotten that on the open market. If you combine his contributions in those playoffs with the Hawks stumble after losing Buff there had to be a fear losing a supposed up and coming power forward would be a big loss. Didn't work out that way.

And that shooting percentage was because he finally put that big body in front of the net where it should be and it produced. Unfortunately that playoffs was about the last time he was planted in front of the net. If Bickell played like Shaw with his big body he would be a good producer worth the contract he is on. Unfortunately he is the opposite of Shaw, a physically gifted player who lacks heart and ambition. It turned out to be a bad contract but at the time I get why he was signed to it.

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007

Please tell whose signature goes on the contract on the Hawks side. Like I said before some low level employee ****ed up because Canada Day.

H a w k s*

May 18, 2012
Before the BIG contract Bickell gave LARGE discount to have a 1 way contract. Told me all I needed to know. He wasn't going to bust tail to stay/excel in the NHL. One fortunate playoff later we know what happened.

His agent for the most part has been terrible. He took a well below market at the time during to buyout his rfa. Then took a below market deal (look what clarkson, clowe and Horton all got that year) when he had was a Ufa.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad