Prospect Info: David Reinbacher

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
How's the kid doing?

I see he has a couple points in 3 games but any insight as to what he's doing right and wrong, what he can improve on, etc.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
How's the kid doing?

I see he has a couple points in 3 games but any insight as to what he's doing right and wrong, what he can improve on, etc.

He still needs to get acclimated to NA ice, the system and his teammates. He's had a few moments where the positioning would have been fine in Kloten, but he wasn't at the right place, or he didn't cover at the right place/time, but he'll adjust in as he gets more experience here. He had some turnovers as well. He's powerful, but needs to get stronger if that makes sense. What I mean by that is he has very strong strides that allow him to quickly close gaps and you can see he generates a lot of power for his age, but he had trouble pinning some players.

That being said, his game is way more mature than it should for a 19 year old. He skates well in all directions, he covers a lot of ice and his break out passes are excellent. There weren't any mentions of it, but he made some really great plays with his stick. As a Markov and Lidstrom fan, I loved seeing that, as those were their bread and butter. Having him, Barron and Mailloux at all times on the ice at the AHL level made a big difference imo. If he attains his potential he'll be a rare breed of player.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
The only question for me is whether Reinbacher was the BPA at the slot he was taken. And that still has to play out.

I can’t fathom a team drafting for need with such an early pick. If that’s the approach, and they wanted a first pairing D that badly, there was a far greater chance of hitting on one with this year’s draft crop.

Also, nothing precludes them from trading one of their valued D prospects for a top 6 quality forward and then replace that outgoing D with one selected at this draft.

However, if they do go this route, they ought to remain flexible such that position or need does not determine their pick in the event that there is a clear BPA that falls to them.
Historically, the first defensman taken in the draft has been a surefire NHL top4 nhl defensman, with some exceptions ofcourse.

We’ve seen teams again and again reach for that first Defensman of the draft and be rewarded.

Excited to see how it pans out.

Rein has looked like nervous but he’s got something there.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Stoneburg

Mar 21, 2004
Fishing
He still needs to get acclimated to NA ice, the system and his teammates. He's had a few moments where the positioning would have been fine in Kloten, but he wasn't at the right place, or he didn't cover at the right place/time, but he'll adjust in as he gets more experience here. He had some turnovers as well. He's powerful, but needs to get stronger if that makes sense. What I mean by that is he has very strong strides that allow him to quickly close gaps and you can see he generates a lot of power for his age, but he had trouble pinning some players.

That being said, his game is way more mature than it should for a 19 year old. He skates well in all directions, he covers a lot of ice and his break out passes are excellent. There weren't any mentions of it, but he made some really great plays with his stick. As a Markov and Lidstrom fan, I loved seeing that, as those were their bread and butter. Having him, Barron and Mailloux at all times on the ice at the AHL level made a big difference imo. If he attains his potential he'll be a rare breed of player.

That is an excellent assessment of his performance. he has an active stick, maybe as he gains strength, he might play the body more, we will see.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

He impressed me this weekend. You can see he is a head and shoulder above most young AHL players (20-21-22) and he's just 19. It's not perfect as should be expected for a 19 years old player coming from Europe but he's got the tools to be a very good first pairing NHL dman.

Hutson-Reinbacher
Guhle-Mailloux
Xhekaj-Konyushkov
Struble-Barron

Some of them will fail but i think we have a very good prospects pool on defense.

JT3

May 27, 2013
Loved him last year and had him in my top 5/6 from the WJC on, and yesterdays game was the first time I watched him since pre-season outside of highlights (cause f*ck watching Kloten lol). His puckhandling looks improved to me, and his skating was always really good but he looks more explosive too. Maybe it's the difference between seeing him on the large vs small ice but his first few steps looked real fast, he was smothering guys and taking away time and space.
His decision making and outlets though are his bread and butter. He had one play yesterday where he was backing up at the blueline with the puck and didn't make a decision fast enough, but otherwise his outlets are beautiful. Sharp, precise, and fast, the puck is off his stick and moving the play up ice immediately. That'll be his best trait in the NHL imo and is gonna help our forwards out a LOT.

I think he's gonna make the team out of camp next season. Wouldn't be against him playing #1 minutes in Laval, but I don't think he's gonna need it, and I don't think it will be rushing him. He's just that good.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022

These players are so underrated by average fans, but so appreciated by coaches. Basically you can rely on him he wins the battles (wide range, strong, uses his stick) and you can rely that once he has the puck he will not panic and transition out of D zone will be successful. This is a guy who will be on the ice when we are winning by one goal in game 7 of Stanley Cup finals (along with Guhle).

Mudz

David >> Michkov
Sep 11, 2006
Montréal
Loved him last year and had him in my top 5/6 from the WJC on, and yesterdays game was the first time I watched him since pre-season outside of highlights (cause f*ck watching Kloten lol). His puckhandling looks improved to me, and his skating was always really good but he looks more explosive too. Maybe it's the difference between seeing him on the large vs small ice but his first few steps looked real fast, he was smothering guys and taking away time and space.
His decision making and outlets though are his bread and butter. He had one play yesterday where he was backing up at the blueline with the puck and didn't make a decision fast enough, but otherwise his outlets are beautiful. Sharp, precise, and fast, the puck is off his stick and moving the play up ice immediately. That'll be his best trait in the NHL imo and is gonna help our forwards out a LOT.

I think he's gonna make the team out of camp next season. Wouldn't be against him playing #1 minutes in Laval, but I don't think he's gonna need it, and I don't think it will be rushing him. He's just that good.

With Mailloux graduating, it might be too many rookies on the right side. But I'm pretty sure he's in the NHL too. If Hutson makes it, it would be 3 rookies!!

I feel like he's gonna spend a lot of time in Mtl this summer and his training will be better. More squats and less getting big for getting big.

Reactions: dinodebino and JT3

JT3

May 27, 2013
With Mailloux graduating, it might be too many rookies on the right side. But I'm pretty sure he's in the NHL too. If Hutson makes it, it would be 3 rookies!!

I feel like he's gonna spend a lot of time in Mtl this summer and his training will be better. More squats and less getting big for getting big.
Definitely gonna be interesting, I think if it comes down to it and they don't want too many rookies or if there isn't enough space that Reinbacher will get in before the other two. He's the most polished imo while also being our top prospect, but obviously comes down to how they all play in camp, and if it turns out the other two are ahead then Reinbacher should spend some time in Laval.

Agree on the training too. From what it sounded he put on a lot of non-muscle weight last summer in order to get bigger. Spending this whole summer getting stronger is going to make him that much better.

Reactions: Mudz and BLONG7

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
That really aged well ;)

It was still a good post. You could have made a shitload of money betting on three Laval wins last weekend...give or take Reinbacher. Also, that goal he scored isn't really indicative of things to come in his case.

Karma Police

Sep 28, 2017
I feel like Harmlik isn't really a good comparable.

He already skates better than Hamrlik in his prime.
Has the potential to be at the same level defensively has him.
I feel like he has the potential to develop into a better two-way D because of his tendency to always support the breakout with speed after his passes which Hamrlik wasn't really able to do because of a slower stride

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
I feel like Harmlik isn't really a good comparable.

He already skates better than Hamrlik in his prime.
Has the potential to be at the same level defensively has him.
I feel like he has the potential to develop into a better two-way D because of his tendency to always support the breakout with speed after his passes which Hamrlik wasn't really able to do because of a slower stride
You are describing Niklas Lidstrom. Even a poor man's version is a nice player.

• Haha
Reactions: Leto and salbutera

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad