Prospect Info: David Reinbacher

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Getting stars, there’s the rub.

Best way to get a potential one is with an early pick and that’s if you make the right selection. We’re not a destination market for UFAs so we have to prevail at the draft table.
Amen

If Reinbacher becomes a 50 points defensive dman then he was the right choice. Nothing against Michkov but there was too many red flags. We'll be able to get a good forward this year.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
For sure. He might even end up a better pick then 2-4. But I thought you meant they didn't pick the BPA by skipping Michkov.

IMO they picked who they thought was the BPA. Like you said, time will tell.
I hope you’re right. What offers some comfort is how they got it right with Slaf, as Bobrov did not have a convincing record with drafting Euros with early picks.

We’re definitely offence-starved but when it comes to early picks, you can’t forego a BPA to cater to a need.

Never occurred to me that Reinbacher could even be better than the Cs picked 2-4. I have never seen anyone make that argument. That would be huge. Can’t wait to find out.

SamHabsFan

Apr 6, 2016
Quebec
Disagree. We knew we were going to suck this year, and it's loaded with D. Last year draft Michkov, Leonard and then if the russian doesn't want to play here trade him, its a highly rated asset. Newhook is barely a 2nd line forward still, has a lot of work to do especially when movin gthe puck at top speed he suffers.

I hope I'm wrong, but Reinbacher still looks like a 3-4 at this point and Newhook is a dime a dozen NHL forward that every team employs.
We really dont know how that Michkov situation played out, he maybe straight up told hughes that he wouldnot play for MTL.The fact that he was picked 7th tells me that he probably chose where he would be drafted...that leaves us with Leonard or Benson...

As of right now, I rather have Reinbacher + Lindstrom/catton than Leonard/benson + Yakemchuk or Parekh

Reactions: HankyZetts

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I am not saying he doesn't engage physically but it's not to the degree of a Weber, Pietrangelo or Sutter even though I think he's just as smart as they were defensively relative to his age

On the big ice he doesn't use his size to his advantage but it's hopefully something he learns as he has shown he is willing just that it didn't seem to be a part of his game for the most part.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Amen

If Reinbacher becomes a 50 points defensive dman then he was the right choice. Nothing against Michkov but there was too many red flags. We'll be able to get a good forward this year.

I hope you’re right. What offers some comfort is how they got it right with Slaf, as Bobrov did not have a convincing record with drafting Euros with early picks.

We’re definitely offence-starved but when it comes to early picks, you can’t forego a BPA to cater to a need.

Never occurred to me that Reinbacher could even be better than the Cs picked 2-4. I have never seen anyone make that argument. That would be huge. Can’t wait to find out.
Lol. After they hired Bobrov I checked out the Rangers drafting more closely, though I already knew they were a bit shaky with Kaako ( Laf no as he was a given ) and Lias Andersson at 7or 9. I had a WTF moment and thought we are looking screwed with this Bobrov guy.

I liked how Bobrov spoke at the Draft meetings we saw and so far the drafting approach seems good.

We are at a point though we can't afford to miss. At absolute worst , Reinbacher has to be a real top notch 3D. Not a 4D, a 3D. And that still is a disappointment for me. Really need him to be a top pair guy, hopefully a 1D in a few years. And 50 points as a strong defender is a 1D to me. Hopefully a PMD.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Lol. After they hired Bobrov I checked out the Rangers drafting more closely, though I already knew they were a bit shaky with Kaako ( Laf no as he was a given ) and Lias Andersson at 7or 9. I had a WTF moment and thought we are looking screwed with this Bobrov guy.

I liked how Bobrov spoke at the Draft meetings we saw and so far the drafting approach seems good.

We are at a point though we can't afford to miss. At absolute worst , Reinbacher has to be a real top notch 3D. Not a 4D, a 3D. And that still is a disappointment for me. Really need him to be a top pair guy, hopefully a 1D in a few years. And 50 points as a strong defender is a 1D to me. Hopefully a PMD.
Important to note that Bobrov was not head scout with NYR. He was the main guy for Europe but the main guy from a region can always get overridden by the head scout (which himself can be overridden by the GM obviously).

Either way i don't think NYR has been drafting badly. They made some mistakes in the top 10 but it was mostly with guys most teams would have taken anyway. But they had a good amount fo success after that. Can't fault them for Laf, Kakko and even Kravstov too much. It's like AG i never blamed MB or Timmins for picking him.

Reactions: Vachon23 and yianik

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Important to note that Bobrov was not head scout with NYR. He was the main guy for Europe but the main guy from a region can always get overridden by the head scout (which himself can be overridden by the GM obviously).

Either way i don't think NYR has been drafting badly. They made some mistakes in the top 10 but it was mostly with guys most teams would have taken anyway. But they had a good amount fo success after that. Can't fault them for Laf, Kakko and even Kravstov too much. It's like AG i never blamed MB or Timmins for picking him.

I remember in 2017 that the guy they targeted was Pettersson. They made a pretty big deal to get into the top 10 and there were rumors they wanted to go up further.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
On the big ice he doesn't use his size to his advantage but it's hopefully something he learns as he has shown he is willing just that it didn't seem to be a part of his game for the most part.
Yeah I do think that matters a lot. That's why I'm hopeful but can't say he'll do until he actually does it in NA

Reactions: cphabs and montreal

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
We really dont know how that Michkov situation played out, he maybe straight up told hughes that he wouldnot play for MTL.The fact that he was picked 7th tells me that he probably chose where he would be drafted...that leaves us with Leonard or Benson...

As of right now, I rather have Reinbacher + Lindstrom/catton than Leonard/benson + Yakemchuk or Parekh

Then I'd draft Michkov and trade him, it's a great asset. Me personally I don't want Parekh , Catton Iginla draft for me, make it happen Kent!

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Weird how there still no official announcement

My understanding is that no decision has been made. Reinbacher is in Switzerland since some things still need to be settled, discussed or evaluated but I'm not sure what the hold up is. Could be injury or job/school related. I think the longer it takes the more likely it is that he's just gonna play the WC. Expecting an announcement for next week though. Austria's camp to start in two weeks.

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
I don't see Reinbacher being send in Laval. I mean this is towards the end of the season and battling for a playoff spot.
Guess he'll join Laval next year.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I don't see Reinbacher being send in Laval. I mean this is towards the end of the season and battling for a playoff spot.
Guess he'll join Laval next year.
Still think there's a chance he does play for Laval this season but I agree he wouldn't be much of a help...which is why him playing the WC may very well be the better option.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Officially Bobrov had a European scout title with the Rangers however he appeared to exert a far larger influence than his title suggested.

Even if we accepted your contention that his main role was for Euro prospects, he had more than the Euro players you listed amongst his failed or questionable recommendations as first round picks: Filip Chytil, Lias Andersson, Vitali Kravtsov, Kaapo Kakko and Nils Lundkvist. You can’t tell me he didn’t exert the influence of a higher ranking scout with so many first rounders used on Euros.

Even when Bobrov was director of Euro scouting with the Bruins, the most noteworthy player he recommended was David Krejci (2nd round). Followed by Vladimir Slobotka (4th round).

However, with the Bruins, he appeared to have a lesser role as his failed recommendations were only used on one 1st rounder, 3 X 2nd rounders and one 3rd rounder — all Euros and all forgetful turds.

Even with the Habs, he’s supposed to act as co-head of scouting with Lapointe — do you really believe Lapointe has equal say to him?

I was very highly skeptical when Bobrov was named with the Habs, just based on his record of drafting Euros.

The Slaf pick has given me hope that he may have learned something however, he has not learned to stay in his lane — his sphere of influence and persuasion has outweighed titles that he’s been given over the years — which has not proven to be a good thing.

Hopefully Reinbacher pans out too so we have one less thing to worry about.

Last edited:
Reactions: jaffy27 and mdk

Leto

Feb 16, 2023
I remember in 2017 that the guy they targeted was Pettersson. They made a pretty big deal to get into the top 10 and there were rumors they wanted to go up further.

Your comment made me think of a recent interview with Bobrov. Here's what he said (via google translate) :

There were good players whom we knew, but they were taken away by others. For example, Elias Pettersson from Sweden, who did not reach us, although we very much wanted to take him under number 7. There are many cases when you think that a player will become a star – he slipped away from you and ended up being a failure.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
was watching rds yesterday and they said to expect an announcement about Reinbacher at the beginning of the week

Yeah. Like I said that's what I heard as well. I don't think a decision has been made though and I find it curious that so many seem convinced he's gonna play for Laval. I always told you guys that Reinbacher's situation will be evaluated once Kloten's season is over and that's what's being done now. If Laval was already a sure thing then Reinbacher would have boarded a plane already. At this point, Laval is a possibility but not the only one and personally I'm not sure if it's the best one available.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

I'll just chime in, if Reinbacher is really elite defensively, a shut down guy who covers the ice really well with his skating and gets the puck to the forwards well or skates it out himself with his superior skating - I think he could be extremely valuable, even if he's only getting 40 points, or even in the 30's.

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
Yeah. Like I said that's what I heard as well. I don't think a decision has been made though and I find it curious that so many seem convinced he's gonna play for Laval. I always told you guys that Reinbacher's situation will be evaluated once Kloten's season is over and that's what's being done now. If Laval was already a sure thing then Reinbacher would have boarded a plane already. At this point, Laval is a possibility but not the only one and personally I'm not sure if it's the best one available.
No, now you're moving the goalposts. You said you had information that there was no way he was coming over since he had to finish his studies and such. You're slowly changing your story so people don't notice.

Reactions: Andrei79

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Still think there's a chance he does play for Laval this season but I agree he wouldn't be much of a help...which is why him playing the WC may very well be the better option.

Yeah, I'm not convinced he'll be in Laval this season and I'd be fine with that.

WC is a priority for me for him.

Walksss

Mar 26, 2013
Yeah, I'm not convinced he'll be in Laval this season and I'd be fine with that.

WC is a priority for me for him.

Totally agree, WC would be a great experience for him. He wouldn't waltz into Laval and make an impact, it would take a while for him to adjust anyways.

Reactions: Tuggy

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
The only question for me is whether Reinbacher was the BPA at the slot he was taken. And that still has to play out.

I can’t fathom a team drafting for need with such an early pick. If that’s the approach, and they wanted a first pairing D that badly, there was a far greater chance of hitting on one with this year’s draft crop.

Also, nothing precludes them from trading one of their valued D prospects for a top 6 quality forward and then replace that outgoing D with one selected at this draft.

However, if they do go this route, they ought to remain flexible such that position or need does not determine their pick in the event that there is a clear BPA that falls to them.
Better get used to it, Hughes stated publicly last week and bluntly, a Habs will select based on need this draft

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00