Player Discussion David Pastrnak X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
He is so almost awesome.

Great intensity, great moving the puck, great back-checking and even going deep to help on D and then it all comes together with a lame sort of pass to nobody or worse?

Reactions: frickinbobby

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
He is so almost awesome.

Great intensity, great moving the puck, great back-checking and even going deep to help on D and then it all comes together with a lame sort of pass to nobody or worse?

He's still a bit too jumpy. His speed and skill are undoubtedly his strengths, and they've made him one of the top wingers in the league at only 21 years old. But he needs to be a bit more patient at times, don't rush to make the highlight reel play.

But he's getting there, and he's getting there fast. The stuff he does with the puck is incredible, and his work ethic is second to none. I've never seen a player develop as consistently as him. It's scary to think about how good he'll be in a few years once he rounds out his game.

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere
I hate these comparisons because everyone is an individual, but Pasta is more Kane than any of the other guys mentioned IMO, at least if we're talking modern players. He shares Kane's slipperiness and creativity under pressure. Can't say I've seen Rick Middleton play but I believe @DKH has said Pasta reminds him of Nifty.

Pasta's not a lot like Kovalchuk IMO. Similar pucks skills, but Kovalchuk had a lot more size & knew how to use it. Laine is more of a Kovalchuk where he's got that big frame & is growing into it. Pasta is always going to have to rely on his elusiveness to be effective.

He diffidently has some of Niftys, jukes and jives with the speed but I don't remember Nifty ever possessing the one-timer that Pasta has. And of course Pasta as of yet, isn't nearly as well rounded as Middleton was but I agree with DKH his game reminds me more of Middletons than anyone's.

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
the giveaways are frustrating but I can't be mad because that's a natural side effect of trying to create out there and right now with the injuries he's just trying to do too much.

I'd say Yes and no. There are some times in the game and some places on the ice were turn overs are completely unacceptable regardless of how much you score. There was once instance yesterday where he tried to dangle around a guy crossing his own defensive blue line and nearly turned it over. That can't happen. Period.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
He diffidently has some of Niftys, jukes and jives with the speed but I don't remember Nifty ever possessing the one-timer that Pasta has. And of course Pasta as of yet, isn't nearly as well rounded as Middleton was but I agree with DKH his game reminds me more of Middletons than anyone's.

At this point he reminds me of Ilya Kovalchuk.

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina

Then again the one-timer hadn't developed yet as a shot technique that practically everyone has in his repertoire, like it has since then. I agree Pasta has as much or more skill. He's definitely faster and has a better slap shot but some of these raw mechanics of the players today can be attributed to better training/conditioning. Like you implied though, whether he will end up as smart and disciplined as Middleton is the question. If so he will be truly elite.

Jonathan17

Trollface!
Nov 19, 2005
Oakville
He actually reminds me of Marchand - in skill set not personality/temperament of course.
To me, he's shown some of Marchand's balls-to-the-walls compete level, so that separates him from Kessel, Seguin, and Hamilton. He's not a pest or chirper, but he's got a ton of fight in him. But he does need to learn to pick his spots better. He's got better skills than Marchand but not his read/react ability. Only Bergeron is on the same level on this team.

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
To me, he's shown some of Marchand's balls-to-the-walls compete level, so that separates him from Kessel, Seguin, and Hamilton. He's not a pest or chirper, but he's got a ton of fight in him. But he does need to learn to pick his spots better. He's got better skills than Marchand but not his read/react ability. Only Bergeron is on the same level on this team.

Kessel?
31 g. 35 ass in 71 playoff games where it counts the most add 2 cups .
Separates him from what?
The proof is in the walk not in the talk

Reactions: smithformeragent

Jonathan17

Trollface!
Nov 19, 2005
Oakville
Kessel?
31 g. 35 ass in 71 playoff games where it counts the most add 2 cups .
Separates him from what?
The proof is in the walk not in the talk

OK. Pick one name out of post, so you can miss the point.

Is Kessel a battler? Is Kessel a competitor? Will Kessel fight for a puck in the corner? No. So don't quote stats where he can't even regularly play on the Pens' top two lines in the playoffs to pad his stats. Every NHLer wants to win, not all want to battle. Pastrnak has that battle factor. Those other three don't.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Nifty was my all time fav player, he reminds of him. Pasta has a ways to go to be a complete player that Rick was, less gambling but it will come. People need to lay off on the mistakes, it is what makes him special. He is not a dump and chase guy, he is paid to force the pace. The mistakes are drowned out by the results.

Last edited:

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016

Is Kessel a battler? Is Kessel a competitor? Will Kessel fight for a puck in the corner? No. So don't quote stats where he can't even regularly play on the Pens' top two lines in the playoffs to pad his stats. Every NHLer wants to win, not all want to battle. Pastrnak has that battle factor. Those other three don't.

Give me a gamer thats all that matters. He alternates on the lines. He plays on the 2nd line with Malkin.on the pp. He arguably could have been the conn symthe winner 2 years ago. I dont understand the validity of what you mean being a battler. If that is not a competitor then what is?
I really place no merit in gossip . The guy is.a proven winner . Pastr is a high talented player as well. Kessel ex was not a good one. Give the guy the credit he deserves.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
Pasta is the cover boy on the Improper Bostonian. He's made it!

Luxury12.13NoUPCRGB.jpg

The Ice is Right | Improper Bostonian

Reactions: frickinbobby

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

Kessel should have won the Conn Smythe two years ago, so what a weird hill to plan your flag on.

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

This is hilarious

How many games did Pasta take to come back from cancer?

Did Pasta score his 36 or whatever goals playing 3/4 of the season with a torn labrum that needed surgery?

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
anyway, as for Pasta, he's putting together a real good season for himself. He has been less streaky than in past years, quietly popping in a point per game with a lot of consistency and for some portion of that was definitely playing hurt (might still be, tho he looks like he's getting over it).

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
In my opinion Pastrnak is producing more consistently than Kessel did at the same age. (Their 21 year old seasons). And yes Pastrnak does give a much better effort on the backcheck at the same age....and no I don't need to see the video of Kessel backcheck against Carolina in the playoffs.

Honestly, I was often more frustrated than pleased with Kessel even in that breakout year.

Pastrnak could stand to improve his one-timer from the circle on the PP. At that point he might take it to the next level.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
I feel that he is getting a little too fancy at times. I forget what game it was, but it was early in the game, first few minutes, and he got the puck right in front of the net, and was all alone. He put the puck behind him, by going threw his legs and put a weak shot on net. Yes, it was a cool move, would have been high light material, but the game was 0 - 0 and that was not the time or place. Then against, I think the Isle, he had a one on one and tried another
fancy move. Not so upset with that one, since he had to beat a guy to get to the tender.

He is an amazing talent, and fun to watch. Seems to have a great and infectious attitude. Glad he is signed long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad