Player Discussion David Backes III

Status
Not open for further replies.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
This is the most shocking news of all time given DoPS's craptastic lack of consistency.
haha idk i think you could argue this is just as inconsistent as anything. match penalty for a guy suspended a week ago & no supplemental discipline. if I was Backes I would have no idea what message to take away from this.

charliesangel

Feb 26, 2018
Because he's so slow, he needs the puck to come to him (whether through good positioning, or fortuitously). I like the guy, but it frustrating to watch him skating in cement, failing to connect on passes because he's too immobile to put himself in the proper position.
That might be why his hits are late too...takes him so long to get there.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Most the experts I saw said penalty was fine but they thought he wouldn't be suspended . I obviously don't always agree with experts but in this case I think it could've been a 2 or a 5 . By giving the guy an instigator it made it a three minute no biggie .

How does todays decision go with all the conspiracy against us people ? Marchand also didn't get a call and although I 100 percent believe that was an accident and the right call for one million percent sure I am pretty sure they could've suspended him since there was a lot of silly Nhl talk it was on purpose .

How can you be OK with this hit being a 5?

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT

At the last second, when you see a guy bend slightly, you're supposed to fly like Superman to the left or right...hurling yourself wrecklessly to avoid any contact...

New rule, ya know.

Our goal is to make sure nobody gets hurt playing in the NHL. If we have to play in inflatable bubbles, so be it.

It's Seinfeld's bubble boy on the break away!

Reactions: Dr Hook

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
I think I would lean to a 2 but I don't think a 5 is out of the question and I was really really happy there was no injury .
I am not saying you for sure but if this was the other way we would be crying murder if bergy took this hit.

Heck Rick Nash takes the goalie down basically all by himself and doesn't say boo about the penalty because he knows it is one and on here half say Reimer dived and the other half say the defenseman gave him no choice , neither of which was true at all.

I honestly believe we have taken the short end of the stick suspension wise over the years . Heck I really believe Marchand has been totally screwed but to think they are stacking the deck against us or every decision goes against us is just wrong. It is as stupid as when I listen to toronto blue jay fans say the league is against them because it is a Canadian city

And put it this way hockey is balanced enough that if the league and refs were against a team they would have no chance at all . All this Canadian bias you guys talk of yet when is the last time a Canadian team won the cup , heck one year none of them made the post season .

For the record I think we got totally ripped off on Torontos late goal I just dont' think it was a plan or who it was . D.k goal they allowed was a worse call as was larsson goal for sabres against the leafs they allowed and Pitt goal they disallowed against toronto was probably the worst of all .

Last edited:

mmk

Sep 5, 2014
I think I would lean to a 2 but I don't think a 5 is out of the question and I was really really happy there was no injury .
I am not saying you for sure but if this was the other way we would be crying murder if bergy took this hit.

Heck Rick Nash takes the goalie down basically all by himself and doesn't say boo about the penalty because he knows it is one and on here half say Reimer dived and the other half say the defenseman gave him no choice , neither of which was true at all.

I honestly believe we have taken the short end of the stick suspension wise over the years . Heck I really believe Marchand has been totally screwed but to think they are stacking the deck against us or every decision goes against us is just wrong. It is as stupid as when I listen to toronto blue jay fans say the league is against them because it is a Canadian city

And put it this way hockey is balanced enough that if the league and refs were against a team they would have no chance at all . All this Canadian bias you guys talk of yet when is the last time a Canadian team won the cup , heck one year none of them made the post season .

For the record I think we got totally ripped off on Torontos late goal I just dont' think it was a plan or who it was . D.k goal they allowed was a worse call as was larsson goal for sabres against the leafs they allowed and Pitt goal they disallowed against toronto was probably the worst of all .

Refs can’t win a team a series against a far superior opponent but they can certainly tip the scales.

I’m no conspiracy theorist but the reffing in last year’s Ottawa series was too consistently egregiously one-sided for me to not conclude that there was foul play involved. I mean, come on—Riley Nash and Schaller getting matching penalties for taking a shot to the face. If fully healthy, we likely win that series in spite of the refs. But with our D-core in shambles, it absolutely made a pivotal difference.

Edit: apologies for taking this a bit off topic

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I wish Backes the best of luck, with this injury. It just seems like its one thing right after the other this season with Backes, but I don't think there's many out there with his perseverance and will. He'll be back and doing what he does best, battling till the final whistle.

Last edited:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
David Backes injured late in first period of Bruins game - The Boston Globe

TAMPA — Promoted to first-line center for Saturday night’s game against the Lightning, veteran Bruins forward David Backes exited the ice with what appeared to be a laceration high to his right leg with 21 seconds remaining in the first period after a pileup at the Tampa Bay net.

Backes, 33, straightened up from his fall in the crease and skated straight to the Boston bench in obvious pain, gesturing urgently toward trainer Don DelNegro all the way across the ice. DelNegro met him at the bench and the two hurried to the dressing room.

Teammate Torey Krug, speaking to 98.5 The Sports Hub between periods, said, “Scary, man,” when asked about Backes’s injury.

“Any time you see a cut like that and a lot of blood — it’s a scary thing.”

As Backes raced to the Boston bench upon being injured, blood was visible, seeping through his stocking near his right knee. His reaction, particularly his urgency to seek aid, led onlookers in the press box and in the radio booth to believe he suffered a laceration.

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
Refs can’t win a team a series against a far superior opponent but they can certainly tip the scales.

I’m no conspiracy theorist but the reffing in last year’s Ottawa series was too consistently egregiously one-sided for me to not conclude that there was foul play involved. I mean, come on—Riley Nash and Schaller getting matching penalties for taking a shot to the face. If fully healthy, we likely win that series in spite of the refs. But with our D-core in shambles, it absolutely made a pivotal difference.

Edit: apologies for taking this a bit off topic

For the record I 100 percent agree refs can sway a series . I was pretty ticked with the calls in the bruins sens series as well . We got a pretty raw deal. I am not sure they cost us the series . My main point was the world is not stacked against us . Sometimes we get the breaks, sometimes we get the raw deal . We probably get more bad deals than good because I think a few of our stars get ripped off. Pasta -for some reason he seems to get screwed . Marchand /obvious reasons but I believe he does. Chara -so big and strong they have to chop him down at the head sometimes to get a call . Bergy / to look at the other end seems to get breaks here and there but less of late .

My only really point is it isn't an anti bruin thing or Pro Canadian etc . Sometimes it is just human error and sometimes it is an individual player thing .

Last edited:
Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
That was very frightening. I was seriously afraid at first that he had his Achilles Tendon cut and maybe it snapped back. When I saw the replay I realized that he wouldn't have had any control over the leg at all if that happened. All in all, it could've been worse, get the injuries and rest now for the playoffs later. A blessing in disguise!

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Hope he is ok. Luckily he didnt get stomped on and got cut when both players were backs were on the ice

Doesnt like it, it cut a nerve or tendon or anything

He will need a week imo

He seems like he has a fast recovery system luckily

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
I hit a guy way back in the day which caused him to lose balance and his skate came up and without me noticing right away sliced me right open along my ribs up to my armpit. 29 stitches it took to see me up. I had skated to the bench just like this looking down at my jersey bleeding before lifting it up and seeing the gross gash. His reminded me of that incident. And Backes is much tougher than me so he’ll be just fine. Probably hurt him as much as a hang nail hurts me. Guy is a beast.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I'm always amazed that stuff like this doesn't happen more often during games and even practices - it seems to me that when you have 12 pairs of sharp knives whizzing on the ice (16 pairs if you count the officials), at least once in awhile one of those knives is going to slice something besides ice. I'm glad it's sounding good from what Joey Mac said....no hospital stay is definitely a good sign.

Has anyone made sure Backes hasn't been picking up any stray tikis at construction sites? I hear those are really bad luck....seriously, the run this guy has had just this past week has been pretty bad, not to mention the diverticulitis surgery at the start. He's truly got the heart of a warrior.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
He'll be back! Tough as nails
Backes is a warrior. Great free agency addition by Boston.
Yup! Some guys would of been flopping around on the ice or screaming for help. Not Backes!!!

DYkqbHfU0AAVDdc

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
That was very frightening. I was seriously afraid at first that he had his Achilles Tendon cut and maybe it snapped back. When I saw the replay I realized that he wouldn't have had any control over the leg at all if that happened. All in all, it could've been worse, get the injuries and rest now for the playoffs later. A blessing in disguise!

Too high (= above the knee) to be the Achilles tendon (which is down connecting leg to the back of the foot).
What I was afraid is that there's a heck of a lot of arteries in that area. Cut one and you seriously risk to lose your life...

EF8DA5D2-656B-4180-8675-D6D7BF1ED3A5.jpeg

Reactions: Chief Nine
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad