Player Discussion David Backes III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Too high (= above the knee) to be the Achilles tendon (which is down connecting leg to the back of the foot).
What I was afraid is that there's a heck of a lot of arteries in that area. Cut one and you seriously risk to lose your life...

View attachment 105563

Scary stuff, Jack said something about it being dangerous, can't remember the words but I did think about the arteries that are in the legs and with the heart beating so hard from playing it can pump out quite a bit of blood. Anyway, thank God that he had immediate help.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Scary stuff, Jack said something about it being dangerous, can't remember the words but I did think about the arteries that are in the legs and with the heart beating so hard from playing it can pump out quite a bit of blood. Anyway, thank God that he had immediate help.

Big time. The pressure at which the heart pumps blood is crazy. I remember learning that right out of the heart, it would squirt 2 meters (or close to 7 feet) away.

As an anecdote, I once saw a documentary where a skeleton found in a Roman era mass grave for gladiators was examined. They examined it because it looked different from all others, as in showing the individual had suffered basically no trauma in his life and it looked like it belonged to a well fed young man. They theorized that it was probably a rich young man who, for an adrenaline kick, had participated in a gladiator contest (apparently, it was a fairly common happening, they said). Well, the only thing they found was a nick (by a sword cut) on a leg bone, just above the knee. They said that such a blow would have severed the artery running there and caused death by blood loss rather quickly, in a matter of minutes. When I saw Backes, this thing came to mind.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Yeah a jets player cut his femoral artery. I bet that was what backed was afraid of. That's bad news and his season would've been over.

Reactions: Aeroforce

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Too high (= above the knee) to be the Achilles tendon (which is down connecting leg to the back of the foot).
What I was afraid is that there's a heck of a lot of arteries in that area. Cut one and you seriously risk to lose your life...

View attachment 105563

This was my fear as well. When they came back to start the 2nd & Jack didn't have any updates I was terrified that he'd lost a catastrophic amount of blood on the way to the hospital or something. It literally takes just a few minutes if you get cut in the right spot & don't stop it quick enough.

Old Gregg

I'm Old Gregg!!
Apr 13, 2010
Pens fan coming in peace. Hope he's OK. Had something very similar happen when I was younger. A cut right behind my right knee. Happened so quick I didn't actually notice until I got to the bench and saw all the blood ( we wore red socks...it was tough to notice). Got rushed to the hospital and took 11 stitches to close it up and was told if it had been a bit deeper it would've sliced an artery and I could've died. Scary stuff.

Hope he makes a full recovery. He'll probably be out a week or two.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
Time for someone out there (hint hint) to design some cut proof lightweight undergarments to prevent the growing number of lacerations. I've seen Kevlar for turtlenecks and some socks, but that's it. All the exposed areas in between pads should be covered.

Ivyy13

Trust and Tradition
Feb 4, 2007
Boston
“At the end of it, you just want to be with your teammates and be out on the ice, and the group of guys we have is a character group like none I’ve been a part of where guys genuinely care about each other.”

We’ve heard this quite a few times now. Shades of 2011.

Reactions: Rubber Biscuit

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
This is cool :)

David Backes grateful to be Bruins’ nominee for Masterton Trophy

But even during this road trip he encountered just how much pleasure one can derive from this game, even away from the ice. The team made its annual trip to play the Wild in St. Paul, Minn., over the weekend, not far from Backes’ hometown of North Oaks.

“My Mom made dinner and 14 guys took Ubers to come 25 minutes to my house and have a home cooked meal from my Mom,” said Backes. “There are teams that might only have one or two guys make that trek. But we had 14 guys sitting in my living room. It was a really special moment in my career to have that many guys care that much and care about each other to make that trek. Hopefully that bodes well for our future.”
His mother made lasagna and his wife made a some kale salad.
“It was my old man’s 65th birthday that day, so he got sung Happy Birthday to by 14 of my teammates,” beamed Backes. “It was a really cool day.”

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
As a side note: can you imagine the Uber drivers picking up the Bruins? "Hi, take us to the Backes house, we have to sing Happy birthday to his dad" :laugh: I'm amused by pro athletes using Uber.

Also I want this to be on Behind the B So. Bad.

I'm a sucker for squishy team stuff like this :)

Agent86

Jun 20, 2010
Missed it by That Much
This is cool :)

“My Mom made dinner and 14 guys took Ubers to come 25 minutes to my house and have a home cooked meal from my Mom,” said Backes. “There are teams that might only have one or two guys make that trek. But we had 14 guys sitting in my living room. It was a really special moment in my career to have that many guys care that much and care about each other to make that trek. Hopefully that bodes well for our future.”
His mother made lasagna and his wife made a some kale salad.
“It was my old man’s 65th birthday that day, so he got sung Happy Birthday to by 14 of my teammates,” beamed Backes. “It was a really cool day.”

Cool Story! I hope the ones that didn't show up had a pretty friggin good excuse.:skeptic:

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
The one question I get asked the most about Backes: What exactly does he bring to the team?

Well, ask the St Louis Blues who lacked that one guy, a leader that they can turn to and lead the way in exactly the type of situation they were in.

If you ask anyone in the Blues organization what exactly was missing this season, that's the answer you'll get.

Reactions: Rubber Biscuit
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce