Rumor: Dater: Penguins Interested in Soderberg as a Fallback Option

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Leafs have Pickard or Sparks, plus could send back some prospects/picks if money is retained.
He could be an interesting replacement for Bozak next year.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Leafs have Pickard or Sparks, plus could send back some prospects/picks if money is retained.
He could be an interesting replacement for Bozak next year.
Avs made the conscious decision of not committing to Pickard as their goalie of the future less than a year ago. I don't think that there is any interest there.
Not sure about Sparks but I don't think we should have the same level of interest in him than we should have in Jarry / Gustavsson...

I think depending on the amount of retention (which probably will be key in any deal), it probably will take a very high pick or very good high end prospect to land Soda right now. Sparks or no Sparks.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Could be interesting depending on how much Avs would retain and if they take Hunwick in return. Given the year they've had though, I'd hold onto him if I were them.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Could be interesting depending on how much Avs would retain and if they take Hunwick in return. Given the year they've had though, I'd hold onto him if I were them.

Avs biggest organisational hole right now is goaltending.
Martin has not lived up to expectations this season at all and Pickard left us via the expansion draft after proving that he won't be our GoF either.
Also Varlamov got injured once again which puts his longterm future with the Avs also very much in doubt. Bernier has been great (given the low expectations) but also not great enough to committ longterm to him and he also just picked up a concussion.

So yeah. I think if the Pens put one of their top, young goalies on the table, moving on from Soderberg absolutely could make sense given that probably our most important player aside from MacKinnon (EJ) just went down for probably the season in the same game where MacKinnon returned and that we are now 5 points out of a playoff spot and should sell anyways.

Also if the Avs don't lack one thing in their system, it is potential #2/3 Centermen. We have Kamenev, Bowers, Jost, Compher, Kerfoot and Shvyrov on the way.
A crapton of them will probably play wing down the road but its not like the Avs wouldn't have any options after trading Soda. Also I hope we have serious interest in Stastny in the offseason. Him returning to the Avs would be great and makes a ton of sense if he can't agree to an extension with STL given our oodles of capspace and youth at center and his history with the franchise.

Taking Hunwick in return would not be a deal breaker from a cap perspective I would assume but given Hunny Bunnys history with Colorado, I would personally prefer to not reacquire him...

Reactions: enviSAGE and cgf

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Sounds like it could possibly be a smokescreen. But then I have no idea about Dater

What part of "fall-back option if Brassard does not happen" sounds like a smokescreen to you?

If this would have been leaked in an attempt to put pressure on Dorion, why would you leak that Soda would only be Plan B or C once Brassard falls apart?
Wouldn't you say " The Pens are not happy with the asking price from Ottawa and have now set their sights on Soderberg?".

If this is an attempt at a smokescreen, it is a pretty awful one...

Its just Dater hearing rumblings about the Pens having interest in Soderberg (which is no surprise and makes perfect sense) but that nothing will happen unless they fail to make a trade for Brassard in the next few days (which seems to be their main goal right now)...

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
What part of "fall-back option if Brassard does not happen" sounds like a smokescreen to you?

If this would have been leaked in an attempt to put pressure on Dorion, why would you leak that Soda would only be Plan B or C once Brassard falls apart?
Wouldn't you say " The Pens are not happy with the asking price from Ottawa and have now set their sights on Soderberg?".

If this is an attempt at a smokescreen, it is a pretty awful one...

Its just Dater hearing rumblings about the Pens having interest in Soderberg (which is no surprise and makes perfect sense) but that nothing will happen unless they fail to make a trade for Brassard in the next few days (which seems to be their main goal right now)...

"Possibly" could be this as well

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Avs biggest organisational hole right now is goaltending.
Martin has not lived up to expectations this season at all and Pickard left us via the expansion draft after proving that he won't be our GoF either.
Also Varlamov got injured once again which puts his longterm future with the Avs also very much in doubt. Bernier has been great (given the low expectations) but also not great enough to committ longterm to him and he also just picked up a concussion.

So yeah. I think if the Pens put one of their top, young goalies on the table, moving on from Soderberg absolutely could make sense given that probably our most important player aside from MacKinnon (EJ) just went down for probably the season in the same game where MacKinnon returned and that we are now 5 points out of a playoff spot and should sell anyways.

Also if the Avs don't lack one thing in their system, it is potential #2/3 Centermen. We have Kamenev, Bowers, Jost, Compher, Kerfoot and Shvyrov on the way.
A crapton of them will probably play wing down the road but its not like the Avs wouldn't have any options after trading Soda. Also I hope we have serious interest in Stastny in the offseason. Him returning to the Avs would be great and makes a ton of sense if he can't agree to an extension with STL given our oodles of capspace and youth at center and his history with the franchise.

Taking Hunwick in return would not be a deal breaker from a cap perspective I would assume but given Hunny Bunnys history with Colorado, I would personally prefer to not reacquire him...

Interesting, so something based around Gustavsson, Hunwick + then?

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Soda and the Pens have been linked in rumours all year long pretty much. It's obvious that there's interest there, these days anytime there's smoke it's almost always because there's a fire, but whether or not a deal gets made is different.

I don't think he's Pittsburgh's first choice, and I also think that with salary retained, he'll be one hell of a pickup. I think people are looking way too much at his stats and not considering the fact that he's playing exclusively in a shutdown role and doing a damn good job doing the heavy lifting offensively on his line as well.
I'm sure that if he became a Penguin, he'd easily return to his ~50 point self since he'll be given better linemates and not have to be relied so heavily upon in the D-zone.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
How did drugs become a prominent theme in this thread?

Yeah drugs...or maybe it's how Penguins fans view their prospects?

Not Jarry - he's our future starter
Not Gustafsson - he's our best goalie prospect
Not Sprong - he's our best prospect

...and on and on and on.

This isn't new though...remember "oh no, not Derrick Pouliot, he's a former 8th overall pick" and he's a shoe-in to be a top pairing guy. :sarcasm:

Not every single one of your prospects is going to turn out to be a superstar.

The fact that Soderberg has 24 points in 55 games in the role he's been put in this year, is rather remarkable.

Reactions: Ararana

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I've been saying Soderberg made sense in Pittsburgh all year but recently I just think Sheahan has stepped up enough that it's completely unnecessary. If Pittsburgh is trading for a 3C he should be a major upgrade on Sheahan.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
The Avs have leaned heavily on Soderberg this season and he has played an incredibly important role for the team. It is difficult to see the Avs trading him simply for the sake of trading him, particularly if they are having to take back salary with players like Hunwick and Hagelin. Soderberg has simply been too important to the Avs and it is difficult to see how they replace him internally if he is traded.

The Avs would immediately be seeking to spend money and assets to acquire a "Soderberg-esque" player, and that player would be difficult to find. Fans get wrapped up in the excitement of making trades this time of year to the point of completely ignoring the logic (or lack thereof) of some of these speculated moves.

Reactions: Oxymoron

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Yes drugs because Soderberg is relatively the same player as Sheahan except 6 years older.

One could even argue that Sheahan is ahead of Soderberg at this point in his career at his age.

As I said before I wouldn't be against adding Soderberg but he would be nothing more then a depth addition at C and depending on how well he may or may not play he isn't a guarantee to run the 3C

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015

...and on and on and on.

This isn't new though...remember "oh no, not Derrick Pouliot, he's a former 8th overall pick" and he's a shoe-in to be a top pairing guy. :sarcasm:

The fact that Soderberg has 24 points in 55 games in the role he's been put in this year, is rather remarkable.

Well tbf I think most fan bases has that one prospect that they like to overrate.

But If there's one thing I've learned from reading through Pens related trade threads it's not to mention the S(prong) word, it pretty much always turns into a pissing contest.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Yes drugs because Soderberg is relatively the same player as Sheahan except 6 years older.

One could even argue that Sheahan is ahead of Soderberg at this point in his career at his age.

As I said before I wouldn't be against adding Soderberg but he would be nothing more then a depth addition at C and depending on how well he may or may not play he isn't a guarantee to run the 3C
Soderberg would absolutely be the 3C. He's a better player than Sheahan no doubt. I don't know if he's enough of an upgrade on Sheahan to justify giving up what it would take to get him though.

I think if the Penguins add a centre to upgrade Sheahan it needs to be a no brainer, major upgrade such as Brassard. While Soderberg is better than Sheahan, I don't think the difference is justifiable enough to pay what it costs to make that upgrade. He's even scoring at a respectable 15 goal pace.

Looking at the Avalanche, if there's a trade to be had there I think the Penguins should bring back Blake Comeau. One of the best PK'ers in the league. Can play anywhere up and down the lineup. Physical, hard working, damn good skater. Constantly praised for his locker room attitude and leadership. UFA at season's end. He seems like a prototypical "playoff" player.

Reactions: cgf

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

...and on and on and on.

I don't see any issues with those evaluations from Pens fans.

Sprong is their best prospect.

Jarry has played extremely well this season in the NHL and is showing starter potential.

Gus is their best goalie prospect (if you consider Jarry an NHLer now), and he had a very good WJCs showing. He's easily a top ten goalie prospect around the league..

Pens are really deep at the goaltender position throughout the org, so it's not a stretch to assume both of these guys are high quality goaltenders.

I'm sure Avs fans would be all over dealing away their best prospects and young players for an aging, over-paid middling third pivot. And I like Soderberg, but that is realistically what the guy is.

Shoofyou10

Apr 30, 2009
The Burgh
Soderberg is a good player and would help the Pens with their center depth but with that contract I wouldn't be interested if I'm GMJR. If he was a rental I would be more intrigued. But no chance I would trade Maata or Hornqvist or Sprong for him. Not even close.

I'm sure Rutherford has checked in with the Avs and pretty much every team on possible options at this point. So I dont doubt that they have inquired about Soderberg's price but can't imagine he would be one of the top choices unless they miss on others and Soderberg comes cheap

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
How is he wrong? Sheahan has been OUTSTANDING here. Soderberg would not be an upgrade.
Yes he would. I have given credit to Sheahan for his season multiple times in this thread but he isn't as good at hockey as Carl Soderberg.

Using salary, age and all those things are valuable arguments as to why you wouldn't want Soderberg or why you'd prefer Sheahan to Soderberg. But right now Soderberg is better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad