Rumor: Dater: Penguins Interested in Soderberg as a Fallback Option

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Sheahan has been on the ice for 623:58 this season 5v5. he has spent 159:27 with Guentzel and Kessel together. That's 25%. not 56%. And that's not the wing combo he has looked worst with. I watch hockey you know. He has played just a quarter of his season with those two but it has accounted for more than half of the on ice production.

He's not wrong there. Guentzel - Sheahan - Kessel as a trio look terrible together. I think that's mainly due to Guentzel on LW (something that doesn't really work anywhere with Kessel, when looking at actual GF/GA). But it's also due to stylistic reasons, just RS/PK are probably not ideal fits. They might make it work better with another LW... but who knows. Sheahan at his core is a non shooting, defensive center. That's just his game. He can change it a little (and it's much improved since he came to PIT), but odds are he will not stray too far from that. Sodo is simply put a better offensive player then he is. He's not as good in the circle, and I don't think he's as good defensively (that says more about RS then Sodo), but I'm not sure how anyone can say RS is better offensively.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
If the Penguins didn't have any other options, I'd probably do Gustavsson and Hunwick for Soderberg at $3 million. There isn't one big issue with that idea, it's just like 2 or 3 small issues that make me hesitate.

Honestly... I'd add to that to get Comeau and to avoid overpaying like f*** for Brassard.

Pacman33

#teamZ
Feb 9, 2017
Soda has been really good for us this year but i wouldnt mind moving him for Gustavsson. Dont think were realistically gonna go far in playoffs next year so by time were really hitting our stride as a team, soda will be on last year of contract. We need a talented goalie prospect and this year isnt a great draft year for goalies. Soda would fit in very well on the penguins. That being said, i dont think they move him but can definitely see the two teams being a good match for a soda deal

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
And RS is getting (marginally) better zone starts... and significantly better wingers (Comeau and Nieto vs Guentzel and Kessel). Sodo won't be an upgrade defensively or in the circle - RS will still own him there. But Sodo isn't bad defensively, he PKs and he would be an upgrade offensively - he's more creative as a player then RS is. We've seen that in the past with his 3 straight ~50pt seasons before last year's disaster.

It wouldn't be a huge difference, but there would be one. And guess what... if it turns out that RS is the better fit or whatever... if RS/Sodo are your 3/4Cs... you have very very good center depth. It's all just a matter of what Sodo's cap hit is. 3-3.5m, and it's very interesting. Lower, and it's gold. Higher, and it becomes less interesting. But there's a window there to make that work... and depending on the cost, I'd almost certainly do that long before Brassard.

I would be all for Soderberg at a reasonable price but he isnt better than what were getting right now. And im sure as hell not payig a premium to hope he is.

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
Look at Soderbergs career. Outside of last year (which was one of the worst seasons in Colorado history) he's been a solid 45-50pt 3C.

His production has dipped this season as well, but he's primarily playing with Blake COMEAU and Matt NIETO...

Very underrated.
Hit 50 points once, sucked last year and is not good at all this year. 3rd line center getting paid 5 lol

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Hit 50 points once, sucked last year and is not good at all this year. 3rd line center getting paid 5 lol

Joke is on you, Mr. Scoreboard watcher.
Soderberg has been very good for the Avs this season....
His job isn't to put up points this season. It is to take on the heavy defensive workload at ES and especially on the PK and he has been great for us in that role..

He enables us to throw out a "2nd line" of rookies and misfits (say "Hi" Nail) that are mostly not yet all that great in their own end..

I am fine with swapping Soda (with some money retained) for Gustavsson. Think it could be a win-win for everyone involved. Depending on the amount of money we would have to retain and whether we have to take on a capdump to make it work, I would want another top90 pick added as well.

Which round would really depend on the overall financial numbers I guess. Throwing in Comeau @ 50% retained certainly is doable as well.

But depending on whether we have to take Hunwick and on how much we have to retain on Soda, we are creeping closer to top30 pick than top60 pick I would assume if we have to retain more than 1.25M on Carls deal and give up Comeau @50 % and take on Hunny Bunnys ugly deal...

Last edited:
Reactions: Riptide

hockeyguy1967

Aug 24, 2017
His job isn't to put up points this season. It is to take on the heavy defensive workload at ES and especially on the PK and he has been great for us in that role..

He enables us to throw out a "2nd line" of rookies and misfits (say "Hi" Nail) that are mostly not yet all that great in their own end..

I am fine with swapping Soda (with some money retained) for Gustavsson. Think it could be a win-win for everyone involved. Depending on the amount of money we would have to retain and whether we have to take on a capdump to make it work, I would want another top90 pick added as well.

Which round would really depend on the overall financial numbers I guess. Throwing in Comeau @ 50% retained certainly is doable as well.

But depending on whether we have to take Hunwick and on how much we have to retain on Soda, we are creeping closer to top30 pick than top60 pick I would assume if we have to retain more than 1.25M on Carls deal and give up Comeau @50 % and take on Hunny Bunnys ugly deal...
Why would you want to even trade this great player? lol

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Why would you want to even trade this great player? lol

Cause he is 32 and probably won't be a huge part of our youth movement going forward. Once we are ready to win anything in this crazy division, his contract will probably be up.
We also have a giant sized hole in our system when it comes to a young, high end goalie prospect...

I don't want to get rid of Soda. But I would cash in on him if it were up to me if the return is right...

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I would be all for Soderberg at a reasonable price but he isnt better than what were getting right now. And im sure as hell not payig a premium to hope he is.

I'm probably one of RS's biggest cheerleaders... and I still think Sodo is better offensively, and overall a better/more skilled player. Maybe not by much, but I think we'd see a noticeable difference if we had him vs RS centering Guentzel and Kessel. Kessel and Sheahan... even I'm leery that we'll get the HBK effect with those two, even if we upgrade the LW. I think we can get that with Sodo. This is a guy that knows how to play offensively. Is he Brassard? No. But he's also better defensively and PKs. Basically I see him as a better offensive player then Bonino with much of his defensive qualities.

Reactions: CobraAcesS and cgf

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013

Well, if that is his role, he isn't an upgrade over Sheahan, so ...

enviSAGE

waitin on the good times
Aug 10, 2011
Put Hagelin-Soderberg-Hornqvist together and they'll never stop speaking Swedish

EscapedGoat

Jun 15, 2012

Why are the most opinionated people always the least knowledgeable on these boards? It's tiresome.

I'm assuming it's not worth it to try to explain to you why your opinion of Soda "not being good at all this year" is wrong because people like you will never back down from their hot takes, so I won't waste my time.

hockeyguy1967

Aug 24, 2017
Why are the most opinionated people always the least knowledgeable on these boards? It's tiresome.

I'm assuming it's not worth it to try to explain to you why your opinion of Soda "not being good at all this year" is wrong because people like you will never back down from their hot takes, so I won't waste my time.
He is not worth 5 mill end of story, sorry he is a horrible contract. Why are the people who complain about people with hot takes are always wrong?

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
He is not worth 5 mill end of story, sorry he is a horrible contract. Why are the people who complain about people with hot takes are always wrong?

He is probably not worth $5m but that does not mean that he sucks or is a terrible hockey player. You equating a bad contract to level of play is extremely short sighted. That is why teams will want him on a retained trade/contract.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
If the kid is as good as advertised, a potential starting goalie would seem like a decent incentive for a team whose future in net is looking very shaky :dunno:

and in case you haven't noticed the talent deficit on our AHL team, any extra top 100 picks don't hurt.

He's also a lot worse at this point, and depending on how much the avs retained, soderberg having term should be a positive.

Gustavsson is a nice looking prospect, but he is a 19 year old goaltender. It seems to me, like all goalie prospects, he represents some substantial risk in terms of how he ultimately develops. Based on the last several years, I don't see goaltending prospects holding significant value in trade discussions, at least for most.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I think Penguins fans are going about it the wrong way to say no to Soderberg due to his contract. No, his issue is that he makes $4.75 million a year for 2 years after this year when he's turning 33 at the start of next year. Even if you retain $1.5 million on his deal, the term is not good for someone of Soderberg's age and seemingly sharp decline. His contract is just too problematic for me to think the Penguins would be seriously interested in him.
As @cgf properly put it, Soderberg's age isn't really an issue. He isn't a soft player, but it's not like this is Wayne Simmonds here, Carl will age well and will most definitely be a useful player two years from now as well. He might lose some skating ability, but makes up for it in better strengths such as toughness with the puck, good anticipation with only one good eye, can play secondary PP minutes, and is wonderfully useful around opposing net and forecheque.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad