Rumor: Dater: Penguins Interested in Soderberg as a Fallback Option

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Why would we trade for him is a better question.

Cause he probably is one of the top options for your #3C that JR is seemingly trying to adress at all costs if Brassard is not doable?

Soda has been great this season for the Avs. His line is one of the main reasons for why the Avs have been in the playoff hunt up until now. These guys have taken on the role of our shutdown line and primary PK options and excelled at it.
He had a horrible year last season (like almost all of the Avs players last year) but he has been really good this year.

I think he would be a great fit for the Pens.

But managing his caphit in the trade would be the biggest obstacle I guess. Doable but not all that easy.

Given our goaltending situation, I would expect one of Jarry or Gustavsson to be part of the asking price. Overall value would probably heavily depend on the amount of retention needed and the contracts coming our way...
Soda at 4.75M is not all that valuable I think.
Soda at 3.5M could probably get us something really nice...

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
Cause he probably is one of the top options for your #3C that JR is seemingly trying to adress at all costs if Brassard is not doable?

Soda has been great this season for the Avs. His line is one of the main reasons for why the Avs have been in the playoff hunt up until now. These guys have taken on the role of our shutdown line and primary PK options and excelled at it.
He had a horrible year last season (like almost all of the Avs players last year) but he has been really good this year.

I think he would be a great fit for the Pens.

But managing his caphit in the trade would be the biggest obstacle I guess. Doable but not all that easy.

Given our goaltending situation, I would expect one of Jarry or Gustavsson to be part of the asking price. Overall value would probably heavily depend on the amount of retention needed and the contracts coming our way...
There’s no way I’d trade a future starter for Soderberg. Especially with Soderberg’s contract.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Logjam of center prospects competing for the same spot. Jost, Kerfoot, Compher, Kamenev & Bowers. Soda is incredibly valuable to the team right now so it would mean no playoffs.

Thanks.

A 4.75M cap hit for this year and two more?

Yikes.

Run away.

Don't walk.

Run.

I remember when we encouraged people not to use drugs.

Obviously they would have to retain, but he's a good player. We have had discussion about him before, but then he and the Avs started playing better so no more buy low option.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
There’s no way I’d trade a future starter for Soderberg. Especially with Soderberg’s contract.

Avs would obviously have to retain on Soderberg.
But given the market for centers right now, Soda @3.5M is very valuable to any team IMO. A guy like Pageau is not better than him IMO.

I think you are seriously underestimating him. He is very good defensively and certainly is not a blackhole on offense. Far from it.

Didn't JR recently talk about the logjam he has in goal and that it might lead to him moving a guy like Gustavsson?
Avs really could use some future hope for our goaltending position.

So yeah I see a fit there if the Pens strike out on Brassard (which they probably won't. I don't think JR will mind overpaying here and Dorion will be happy to shed salary).

Reactions: Riptide

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
Avs would obviously have to retain on Soderberg.
But given the market for centers right now, Soda @3.5M is very valuable to any team IMO. A guy like Pageau is not better than him IMO.

I think you are seriously underestimating him. He is very good defensively and certainly is not a blackhole on offense. Far from it.

Didn't JR recently talk about the logjam he has in goal and that it might lead to him moving a guy like Gustavsson?

So yeah I see a fit there if the Pens strike out on Brassard (which they probably won't. I don't think JR will mind overpaying here and Dorion will be happy to shed salary).
Yeah, but in a more reasonable trade.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Yeah, but in a more reasonable trade.

Well I guess "reasonable" for you means that someone hands you over a guy like Duchene for an unproven goaltending prospect then as a centerpiece...

Okay...

Soda @3.5M in this market starved for centers would probably cost a 1st+. I certainly don't expect the Avs to trade him for anything less given that he has been great for us this season and that we would have to pay him almost 4M over the next 3 years to not play for us...

So yeah. I don't think Gustavsson would be completely insane to ask for here...

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
Look at Soderbergs career. Outside of last year (which was one of the worst seasons in Colorado history) he's been a solid 45-50pt 3C.

His production has dipped this season as well, but he's primarily playing with Blake COMEAU and Matt NIETO...

Very underrated.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
Well I guess "reasonable" for you means that someone hands you over a guy like Duchene for an unproven goaltending prospect then as a centerpiece...

Okay...

Soda @3.5M in this market starved for centers would probably cost a 1st+. I certainly don't expect the Avs to trade him for anything less given that he has been great for us this season and that we would have to pay him almost 4M over the next 3 years to not play for us...

So yeah. I don't think Gustavsson would be completely insane to ask for here...
Great observation.

We have better uses of Gustavsson. We can trade him plus for a top rental or as a piece of the Brassard deal.

Byzantium

Jun 17, 2017
Since when is Dater a credible source? Yeah, I'm not buying this, I don't see how the Penguins can make the cap work with Soderberg. He's not good enough where you can justify opening the cap space you need for him, unlike Brassard.

This tweet should be enough to discredit Dater entirely. What a ****ing idiot.
I don't trust Dater or any of the other avs beat writers, he in particular has been wrong about a lot of things lately. Pens interest in a retained Soda makes sense though,

Reactions: cgf and BHD

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Great observation.

We have better uses of Gustavsson. We can trade him plus for a top rental or as a piece of the Brassard deal.

This whole scenario is predicated on Brassard falling apart. It even says that in that tweet....
If the Pens land Brassard, obviously this has 0 chance of happening.. Duh...

You are crazily underrating Soderberg....
At 3.5M he would be certainly a great option for the Pens #3 C and I am pretty sure that JR wouldn't make Gustavsson the hill to die on in this scenario.

People also seem to have trouble with Daters tweets. The guy has no clue about trade value.
He clearly did not say "expect Maatta or Hornqvist in return if Soda goes to Pittsburgh".

He is just throwing out names of players he knows that he believes could be expendable (he is obviously wrong) that would match Sodas caphit without retention.

Reactions: Hockeygod66

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad