Rumor: Dater: Penguins Interested in Soderberg as a Fallback Option

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Absolutely not. Soderberg is not a guy that gets you a teams best prospect

Soderberg @ 2.355 would be one of the biggest bargains in the league for the next 2.5 years...

If the Avs retain that much money, you can bet that they will atleast ask for someone like Sprong in return...
And he would be worth it for a team like PIT easily..

I didn't know Carl was that underrated. Interesting...

Reactions: cgf and Oxymoron

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Soderberg has had a huge resurgence this year. He's looked good this year, and this coming from someone who wanted him gone all last year. He'd be perfect in a 3C role, and he's a horse on the PK.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Soderberg for Hagelin, maybe.

Avs need Soderberg way more than they need Hagelin. Makes no sense for them. We also don't need any capspace at all.
There would have to be a very good sweetener thrown in for it to work which also does not make any sense given how well Hagelin has been doing lately.

If any trade happens, it will be because JR wants to fix his #3C position longterm and is willing to give up something valuable the Avs covet (young high end (probably goalie ) prospect or high picks)...

Dater has his sources. I think by now everyone knows that JR wants to do something. Soda as one of the fallback options for Brassard makes some sense...

There are not many better players available that fit that #3C role as well as he would...

Last edited:
Reactions: Saints11

Hockeygod66

Mar 25, 2007
I could see it happen for Sheary or some prospects and picks. I wouldn't be against it with some retention.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
This will be a funny thread to look back on if Soda were to get traded to the Pens.

Pens fans have managed to both severely overrate there own prospects while under valuing the player Soderberg is.

At 50% retained, he's gonna bring back a very nice package. Would be one of the best deals in the league.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town

Wow.

The tweet in original post makes some sense. It’s been talked about on this board. The Avs are falling out of the race, he fits the need for pitt, etc.

Then he follows it up with this and you think “Ohhh, THIS is why they call Dater a hack.”

OM is going nowhere. Hornqvist is a playoff speedball. Pens aren’t gonna sacrifice either.

Reactions: KIRK

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
This will be a funny thread to look back on if Soda were to get traded to the Pens.

Pens fans have managed to both severely overrate there own prospects while under valuing the player Soderberg is.

At 50% retained, he's gonna bring back a very nice package. Would be one of the best deals in the league.

Stand up - yes?

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Soderberg has had a huge resurgence this year. He's looked good this year, and this coming from someone who wanted him gone all last year. He'd be perfect in a 3C role, and he's a horse on the PK.
24 points in 55 games. We’ll keep Sprong.

Not saying Soda is bad, just not trading a guy like Sprong for him. And just because he’s on a horrible contract and you retain 50% doesn’t make him any better of a player

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Soderberg is still overpaid for the season he's having, he's only on pace for the same amount of points as Sheahan is this year with the Penguins. I'd still hesitate with Soderberg at $3.5 million, to be honest. Now add on it being Dater and I don't believe it at all.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Soderberg is still overpaid for the season he's having, he's only on pace for the same amount of points as Sheahan is this year with the Penguins. I'd still hesitate with Soderberg at $3.5 million, to be honest. Now add on it being Dater and I don't believe it at all.

I don't particularly think he's overpaid. Only 30% offensive zone starts, and 80% of his even strength minutes have come with Matt Nieto and Comeau as his wingers (the other combos to fill the rest of his ES minutes out are Wilson-Comeau, Gabriel Bourque-Nieto, and Bourque-Comeau. He's practically been given next to no even strength opportunity offensively - not with his usage and those linemates. Second in PK minutes among forwards too. He's fulfilled a critical and generally thankless role all year, and he's done a pretty awesome job at it. I'll be really dissapointed if he's moved, barring an absolutely stellar return, or the return of Paul Stastny to Colorado this off-season.

Reactions: cgf and Bender

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Don't hate Soderberg as a fallback but obviously as others have said there would need to be retention to make it work. Even so I would assume he would be our 4C with the way Sheehan has been playing.

How much do we want to be paying a 4C retention or not?

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Soda @ 50% and taking back Cap hit with term like Hunwick definitely nets a good piece(s)

Avs should have no semblance of an issue with the cap until 2019-20 season at the earliest which gives them time to sort it out. Even then, <$5m shouldn't be a big deal

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Sounds like Pitt floating scare negotiation tactics to Ottawa through the media

Highly doubt that. If you want to do that, you certainly don't use Dater for that. You let Friedman or Dreger put the word out. Not Dater who then turns around and riles everyone up with his speculations and limited knowledge of value.

There have been rumors for quite some time that the Pens are looking at #3 Cs and that Soda could be an option for them if the Avs and Pens are able to work things out capwise (which is difficult).

It just makes sense that JR is looking for backup options and asking the Avs about Soda now that it looks like the Avs will be sellers at the deadline.

@ BladesofSteel:

Soda is way better than Sheahan. He is used in a heavy shutdown role for the Avs playing a crapton of PK playing with mostly bottom 6ers..
One good stretch of Sheahan does not wipe out Sodas career achievements. He aside from last years nightmare has been a steady 40+ point guy providing quality D and being able to play the PK very well for us this season. If JR believed that Sheahan was better than that , he wouldn't be looking at Brassard (or Soda)...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad