Player Discussion Darnell Nurse is a #1 dman

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I was flamed here for suggesting that Manson had difficulty being vocal or saying anything on the bench. (for obvious reasons) it wasn't a knock on Manson, just that he can't be heard. In what is a vocal position.

Coffey and KK much better at communicating on bench then predecessors and resulting in more D and team communication too on ice and on bench.
Hmm never noticed much about his speech but wansn't paying attention. I don't seem to remember ever hearing him speak though.

I do like what I'm seeing with Coffey's communications on the bench and what we've heard about in practices. Already seeing the D make less mistakes and play a simpler but more direct game with better risk/reward judgements. Hope it continues.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Hmm never noticed much about his speech but wansn't paying attention. I don't seem to remember ever hearing him speak though.

I do like what I'm seeing with Coffey's communications on the bench and what we've heard about in practices. Already seeing the D make less mistakes and play a simpler but more direct game with better risk/reward judgements. Hope it continues.
Mansons vocal chords were mangled in an NHL fight. He can barely speak. Its like a whisper. So he couldn't be heard on the bench. even if he tried. I'm sure he's a nice guy and all but being able to talk and be heard is a little bit part of the coaching role. heh. In a quiet room you can hear him. In a crowded rink you sure can't.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I was wrong. He is starting to look like a #1Dman now. I didn't know he could move the puck.
He's always been a player with elite tools but questionable tool box.

The truly tantalizing thing is that even though his hockey IQ is low, his actual IQ is high. I know that doesn't necessarily translate but you'd think it would eventually translate.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Nurses skating, range, physicality, and athleticism have always been elite. What’s held him from his full potential has always been a lack of hockey IQ. If Coffey can impart some wisdom on that front, which it looks like he’s already doing, we may yet see a player worth his 9.25M. What a turn around that would be and great storyline for this franchise. OBC retribution tour.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Nurses skating, range, physicality, and athleticism have always been elite. What’s held him from his full potential has always been a lack of hockey IQ. If Coffey can impart some wisdom on that front, which it looks like he’s already doing, we may yet see a player worth his 9.25M. What a turn around that would be and great storyline for this franchise. OBC retribution tour.
Coffey really does seem to have some touch with the group. I noticed last night, that it's like he's telling them to control the puck more and trust themselves with it. To that end, they're coming out a bit slower, but with alot more control. I saw this with every one of them last night.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Coffey really does seem to have some touch with the group. I noticed last night, that it's like he's telling them to control the puck more and trust themselves with it. To that end, they're coming out a bit slower, but with alot more control. I saw this with every one of them last night.

Yup, that post-game with Ekholm that @Behind Enemy Lines posted was quite telling. Ekholm is a straight shooter and a smart and articulate player, the credit he was giving to Coffey was definitely genuine. A positive coach that offers appropriate constructive criticism. The optics behind the hire are challenging but so far he should be dispelling some of that doubt, might end up being a great coach :crossfing

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Yup, that post-game with Ekholm that @Behind Enemy Lines posted was quite telling. Ekholm is a straight shooter and a smart and articulate player, the credit he was giving to Coffey was definitely genuine. A positive coach that offers appropriate constructive criticism. The optics behind the hire are challenging but so far he should be dispelling some of that doubt, might end up being a great coach :crossfing
The excellent coach he initially reluctantly became lol

Reactions: Oilhawks

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I think another part of Coffey's work that's helping Nurse is that Ceci is actually looking to move the puck again.

It's a lot easier to move pucks when everyone is moving the puck. Teams were definitely keying in on Nurse since he was expected to do pretty much all the outlets on that pairing.

I think people really underrated how difficult of a role Nurse was playing.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Would be a great stat line for a $6m D-man.

I like Darnell Nurse a lot and think he’s ultimately a good player and a legit top pair D-man. But that contract is just a killer. It’s really hard to separate the player from the deal in a capped league. Not that I blame him for taking the deal offered to him of course.

• Haha
Reactions: Tobias Kahun

Wretched Oil

Right out of 'er
Feb 19, 2008
Would be a great stat line for a $6m D-man.

I like Darnell Nurse a lot and think he’s ultimately a good player and a legit top pair D-man. But that contract is just a killer. It’s really hard to separate the player from the deal in a capped league. Not that I blame him for taking the deal offered to him of course.
Do you factor in the discounts he took on contracts prior to this one?

Wretched Oil

Right out of 'er
Feb 19, 2008
What contract could you possibly argue Nurse took a discount on?
I've been told the 3.2 and 5.6 contracts that ate up his RFA years were the reason why this contract was larger for this one, but if you just want to argue go ahead.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I've been told the 3.2 and 5.6 contracts that ate up his RFA years were the reason why this contract was larger for this one, but if you just want to argue go ahead.
I’m not trying to argue. I just don’t know how anyone could argue Nurse has ever taken a discount on any of his deals. He was a camp holdout on his 2nd deal and his 3rd deal was an absolute premium for what was only a 2 year deal taking him straight to UFA status.

It’s crazy to suggest Nurse’s agent has ever done anything other than squeeze ever cent out of every one of those contracts.

Reactions: AM

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

You're being told wrong, because that was pretty much bang on market rate from an AAV perspective on both those deals based on his play at the time.

The only real "discount" he took would have been when he signed the two year deal rather than demanding more cash over a longer term which would have pushed the AAV up, but he still got all his money in the end.

The $5.6M bridge annoyed me at the time and it still annoys me today. I remember everyone cheerleading the deal as a good idea, but I knew we were doomed to pay the piper when that one was up. Probably could have had him in the range of $7M for 8 years when that one was signed rather than what we have now.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
You're being told wrong, because that was pretty much bang on market rate from an AAV perspective on both those deals based on his play at the time.

The only real "discount" he took would have been when he signed the two year deal rather than demanding more cash over a longer term which would have pushed the AAV up, but he still got all his money in the end.

The $5.6M bridge annoyed me at the time and it still annoys me today. I remember everyone cheerleading the deal as a good idea, but I knew we were doomed to pay the piper when that one was up. Probably could have had him in the range of $7M for 8 years when that one was signed rather than what we have now.
It's this all day.

Even comparing Nurse to Makar is just dumb. If Makar was bridged like that he'd be making more than McDavid in not much time. I'm not saying that we need to be happy about Nurse's AAV but it's just that this is a mismanagement issue. Nurse was a smart bet to go 8 years after that first bridge.

There is a silver lining though. We are suffering through Nurse's deal now but the back half of that deal has potential to be good, and extends further than that potential 7.5x8 deal would have been

Reactions: K1984 and Oilhawks

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The guy was 30 minutes short of leading the entire league in even strength minutes at $3.2M.

That seems like a pretty good deal to me.
When he signed that deal he had just finished a season where he was outside the top 50 in TOI for dmen and had 26 points.

He was a camp holdout for gods sake. He was an RFA without arbitration rights. There was no discount when he signed that deal.

Reactions: K1984

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
When he signed that deal he had just finished a season where he was outside the top 50 in TOI for dmen and had 26 points.

He was a camp holdout for gods sake. He was an RFA without arbitration rights. There was no discount when he signed that deal.
Not when he signed it, but he definitely significantly outplayed it.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00