Player Discussion Darnell Nurse is a #1 dman

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Well put and thats exactly why I find it so so frustrating. He has so many tools and yet it doesnt matter.
That should be a basic read for him and he manages to f**k it up almost every time.
There is absolutely no reason for it. He is going to be 29 years old...he should need to learn this at this late stage. It should be ingrained. It should be part of his muscle memory by now.

I have been tossing this possibility around in my head the past few days....would you trade Nurse?
If Connor and Leon want to move on you do anything to move Nurse except trade away lottery picks. Ideally we'd move him along with one of them so that that team could be cap strapped until the cap goes up significantly.

Reactions: Aerchon

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
All Nurse had to do was take a half step forward and put his stick out and the play is over. Instead he just stands there as he gets passed around.

You can't absolve Nurse for the first goal because someone was out of place up ice to kick off the chance, then on the other hand blame RNH when that play is over if Nurse managed to make a pretty routine defensive play.
He’s playing the system. It isn’t designed for defenders to attack players along the boards. It’s a passive box that keeps things to the outside and stops cross ice passes.

He did his job. RNH didn’t.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
He’s playing the system. It isn’t designed for defenders to attack players along the boards. It’s a passive box that keeps things to the outside and stops cross ice passes.

He didn't need to attack him. He simply needed to centre his stick and slightly close the space so that he wouldn't get shot/passed around. Attacking player was also quite far from the boards.

There is no system that forces the d man to stand and do nothing while an attacking player is a foot away about to shoot or make a centering pass in prime territory.

Reactions: Aerchon

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
He didn't need to attack him. He simply needed to centre his stick and slightly close the space so that he wouldn't get shot/passed around. Attacking player was also quite far from the boards.

There is no system that forces the d man to stand and do nothing while an attacking player is a foot away about to shoot or make a centering pass in prime territory.
There’s no reason for him to take away that pass when he’s supposed to have a player on the ice with him whose sole job is to take that pass away.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
There’s no reason for him to take away that pass when he’s supposed to have a player on the ice with him whose sole job is to take that pass away.

I don't even know what to say at this point. All he had to do was poke check, this isn't even a systems conversation. Again, there is no system that says "don't poke check a lone attacker when he's within reach because someone else in theory is supposed to be in the slot watching for it."

Reactions: Mack a doodle doo

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

He did his job. RNH didn’t.
This has nothing to do with the system. Its basic defending.
No coach is going to have a defender maintain a bad gap, not use your stick and back into the goalie.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
You guys all have it wrong. That was during transition so it doesn't count against our system, our system is doing fine Woodcroft 3:16. Only goals against on the cycle in our end counts.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
If Connor and Leon want to move on you do anything to move Nurse except trade away lottery picks. Ideally we'd move him along with one of them so that that team could be cap strapped until the cap goes up significantly.
I agree.
If a cup is even within reach for this team though its possible that the team needs a shakeup before Leon and Connor are gone. Its an extreme move but something I have been tossing around in my head.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I agree.
If a cup is even within reach for this team though its possible that the team needs a shakeup before Leon and Connor are gone. Its an extreme move but something I have been tossing around in my head.
The problem is what would we have to give up to get rid of him and then what would even be left to trade for a replacement?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I don't even know what to say at this point. All he had to do was poke check, this isn't even a systems conversation. Again, there is no system that says "don't poke check a lone attacker when he's within reach because someone else in theory is supposed to be in the slot watching for it."
It’s a very simple system conversation haha.

Nurse did exactly what he’s supposed to do.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The problem is what would we have to give up to get rid of him and then what would even be left to trade for a replacement?
Well...I think that he has a lot of value for a team with cap space. It could be a question of style as well. Some teams need dmen that have certain skill sets that Darnell has.
I think this team needs another pure defender...more like Ekholm.
I mean if you could imagine having a healthy Ekholm on each of the top 2 pairings...that is paradigm shifting for this defence.
It may not even be doable which is why I havent tabled it on here. Its probably nothing more than a pipe dream.
The team is likely stuck with Nurse. He has such an amazing toolbox...I just wish that he had more than a 10 cent head.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I'll watch for d men not closing gaps, backing into the net, not poke checking, and allowing all centering passes when I watch Vegas next game.
Thats quite the system.
Woody should have all the dmen doing that...see how it works out.
Might be cup worthy. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Bryanbryoil

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
You blind dude? That was a totally screen. He shot from one side of Nurses body to the other. Skinner DID NOT see the puck leaving the stick

Just like the first game where everyone blamed Campbell on Boesers in close shot. Claimed Cambpell he had a slow glove lolollool. Nurse went into his"make myself as big as i can but screen my goalie' stance, it deflected off him top shelf. The pundits blamed Campbell as usual

Like I said, that exact same play happened twice that game. Once on Quick, once on Skinner. the only difference was Nurse was in the way ............as per usual

You're on cloud 9 if you think that. Last game 2 goals were on him. Or that miraculous pinch 2 games ago lololollol

"our best D".......get a clue

not a screen. just a nice shot.
your breakdown on plays are, well, how should I say? narrow minded.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Another play where a forward makes a brain dead decision.

RNH’s entire role in the Box+1 is to play in the box and stop that cross ice pass. Instead he follows a Ranger behind the net lol.

Wrong, wrong and wrong. Nurse needs to step up on the blueline there or gamble and pick off the pass.
You literally see a dman jump that pass 20x a nite in the NHL

He collapses WAAAAY to far and in that entire sequence made himself irrelevant.

It's literally called gap control and they teach this stuff to young defensemen. I Can't even compute how you think he played that proper TBH

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Wrong, wrong and wrong. Nurse needs to step up on the blueline there or gamble and pick off the pass.
You literally see a dman jump that pass 20x a nite in the NHL

He collapses WAAAAY to far and in that entire sequence made himself irrelevant.

It's literally called gap control and they teach this stuff to young defensemen. I Can't even compute how you think he played that proper TBH
I'm not surprised haha.

The Venn diagram of people hating Nurse and people who don't understand systems is starting to look like a perfect circle.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I'm not surprised haha.

The Venn diagram of people hating Nurse and people who don't understand systems is starting to look like a perfect circle.

Nope. The annoyance stems from his poor play. His job there was not to play the "system". I watched Vegas last nite and do you really think every play of every second is a "system"?
I watched several VGS dmen jump routes last nite. As i watch dmen do every nite across the NHL.
That play was 100% on Nurse for not stepping up on the lone player, and the "system" was irrelevant in thst moment.

It's called adjustments, and all good players have to make them all the time

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I'm not surprised haha.

Struds and Brown breaks down the difference between playing a system and bad habits.
You are confusing bad habits with systems play.
There is no system that encourages poor habits.

Last edited:

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
For me, Bouchard has been the biggest issue on our defence this year, based on expecations. Followed by Ekholm (I think he's still struggling from his injury), and then Kulak, who you would think should be acing it based on his lower level competition.

Nurse is Nurse, and always will be. Sometimes, he seems to play so well and competent, and then has one of those WTF moments, which you can't believe are still in his game.

Probably the most under-rated Oiler I can think of since I was a fan. Horcoff probably the only other guy that comes to mind after he signed his contract.

Yes Nurse is overpaid by 1.5 mill but he is a very good player that we have no replacement for.
Bouchard criminally bad.

Nurse bad.

Rest not good enough.

Systems. I don't know enough to critique. But for me gap control/lanes/pressure is key in any system. Nurse has always had problems with this, imo his strange tendency to play goal, or wrap himself around player... from behind.

His unique style and poor decision making leaves big high danger scoring chances against. He is a good defenseman typically but with his limited offensive skills on top of the above he isn't even a 6 mill defenseman let alone 9+

He is just entering his prime as a defenseman but if he doesn't take another big step in his development he will NOT be considered a good to great defenseman. Just a criminally overpaid one... and I like Nurse as a player. Holland owns the pay scale mistake but it's so painfully obvious Nurse thinks he is better than he is... That's on him.

Reactions: Stoneman89

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2