Player Discussion Darnell Nurse is a #1 dman

PeteEakins

Oct 9, 2021
I know it’s early. But some of you literally need to cheer for another team. Darnell Nurse is a #1 dman and a scholar.

F73C214F-ED5A-4723-9AF3-CD0936379523.jpeg

His pairing was ranked #7 in the entire league prior to the bludgeoning of the Penguins last night.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I
Dismissing Nurse is ridiculous based off any sample size. x/GF x/GA in particular.
It seems that it is more based on individual plays that stand out as frustrating

I do wonder if he falls into a hole with fans in that many assume anything good about his outcomes must be due to playing with McDavid and Draisaitl, fair or not

Reactions: Traveled

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
Why are we looking xG%..? We know this team can score through the top6 lol 5 game sample size is very limited to form any serious assessment.

I'm looking ahead and see what he does with his healthy hip flexor in the playoffs. I'm already looking past the regular season, they're measured by their success in the playoffs not the regular season.

Reactions: Mack a doodle doo

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Why are we looking xG%..? We know this team can score through the top6 lol 5 game sample size is very limited to form any serious assessment.

I'm looking ahead and see what he does with his healthy hip flexor in the playoffs. I'm already looking past the regular season, they're measured by their success in the playoffs not the regular season.
What metric would you like to look at? Ice time? Led the league in even strength+short handed average ice time for the past 2 years. Quality of competition? First, only, and probably last player in NHL history to lead the league in both ES+SHATOI and QoC. Production? going at a 40-50 point pace over the past 2 seasons and off to a good start already. Teammates? He managed to convince large chunks of the fanbase (myself included) that #4/5 guys like Bear/Barrie/Bouchard/Ceci were real top pairing RHD every time he played with these dudes. Also as for the scoring through the top 6 argument, Nurse was for most of the year the only dman on the team who had a positive xGF% without McDavid on the ice, a large reason for his poor on-off even strength numbers without McDavid in 2020-21 was b/c he played with the defensive black hole that is Tyson Barrie and we had the worst bottom 6 in the NHL. He's clearly one of the best dmen in the league, just more of a low end #1/high end #2 than a true Makar/Fox/Hedman level high end 1D.

Do I think he's worth 9.25 million? No. But do I think this team is definitely positively extremely certainly without a shadow of a doubt beyond f***ed without him? Absolutely.

NotAVacuumSalesman

Jun 19, 2017
What metric would you like to look at? Ice time? Led the league in even strength+short handed average ice time for the past 2 years. Quality of competition? First, only, and probably last player in NHL history to lead the league in both ES+SHATOI and QoC. Production? going at a 40-50 point pace over the past 2 seasons and off to a good start already. Teammates? He managed to convince large chunks of the fanbase (myself included) that #4/5 guys like Bear/Barrie/Bouchard/Ceci were real top pairing RHD every time he played with these dudes. Also as for the scoring through the top 6 argument, Nurse was for most of the year the only dman on the team who had a positive xGF% without McDavid on the ice, a large reason for his poor on-off even strength numbers without McDavid in 2020-21 was b/c he played with the defensive black hole that is Tyson Barrie and we had the worst bottom 6 in the NHL. He's clearly one of the best dmen in the league, just more of a low end #1/high end #2 than a true Makar/Fox/Hedman level high end 1D.

Do I think he's worth 9.25 million? No. But do I think this team is definitely positively extremely certainly without a shadow of a doubt beyond f***ed without him? Absolutely.
I actually want to see him prioritize more towards his defense. Shot suppression and reduction in GA.

He's always jumping into the play and always been high event in that regard, it's understandable his xG would look good. I'm curious to see what the coaching staff will do, and if they'll change up the strategy at some point.

He isn't worth 9.25M. It's to keep McDavid and the gang happy. The hope is to get him to re-sign a long term extension and retire as an Oiler. I get it. I'm already past the point talking about Darnell's contract. :deadhorse

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
I actually want to see him prioritize more towards his defense. Shot suppression and reduction in GA.

He's always jumping into the play and always been high event in that regard, it's understandable his xG would look good. I'm curious to see what the coaching staff will do, and if they'll change up the strategy at some point.

He isn't worth 9.25M. It's to keep McDavid and the gang happy. The hope is to get him to re-sign a long term extension and retire as an Oiler. I get it. I'm already past the point talking about Darnell's contract. :deadhorse
Yeah, thats right. We signed our best D man , by a mile, to keep Connor & Leon happy.
What great insight.

SnipeShowJB11

Jul 8, 2022
At least look at the expected goals against/60 or something

Kulak-Bouchard are 34th

Nurse Ceci 36th

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

Nurse is best when he's skating, he needs to be active with his feet in both ends of the ice even if it results in the odd mistake. When he is still and tries to send stretch passes is when he's atrocious. Any pass over about 20 feet is an adventure for him.

On Nurse overall he is interesting because he has certain aspects of his game that he just never seemed to learn and doesn't seem like he will ever learn. Missing needless stretch passes that end in icing. Not establishing a gap. Laying on the ice on the PK. They're all ridiculous things that stand out because most players have learned better by now, but in the grand scheme of things aren't as big of a deal as they appear to be with all the good things he does 95% of the time. The bad traits stick out so much that they kind of unfairly distract from all the good.

NotAVacuumSalesman

Jun 19, 2017
Nurse is best when he's skating, he needs to be active with his feet in both ends of the ice even if it results in the odd mistake. When he is still and tries to send stretch passes is when he's atrocious. Any pass over about 20 feet is an adventure for him.

On Nurse overall he is interesting because he has certain aspects of his game that he just never seemed to learn and doesn't seem like he will ever learn. Missing needless stretch passes that end in icing. Not establishing a gap. Laying on the ice on the PK. They're all ridiculous things that stand out because most players have learned better by now, but in the grand scheme of things aren't as big of a deal as they appear to be with all the good things he does 95% of the time. The bad traits stick out so much that they kind of unfairly distract from all the good.
I've mentioned it before, he just does whatever he wants. :dunno:

I hardly post about him now since it's pretty much something I've expected.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007

He actually made pretty huge strides last year in terms of shot suppression specifically due to an spike in entry denials (also flipping to Ceci instead of Barrie as a primary partner helped) and that was while playing against the opposing team's best players. I don't think that 98th percentile defense for 2021-22 is accurate btw, nor do I think that 3rd percentile in 2020-21 is accurate, a lot of that has to do with partners. His actual level is probs a good above average dman in the league defensively who can drive offense/transition. His in zone positioning could still use some work but he's our best defensive dman, lets not kid ourselves.
1666712404410.png

Reactions: McDNicks17

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
You seem to be rent free with me and Darnell's contract.

I didn't realize you're bothered by it. Just going through some of my posts, I can always count on you to respond. Did I hurt you or something?
Not rent free at all. I think it's quite the opposite.
Its just kind of comical with the level of analysis that a poster would think the reason that Darnell was signed was because "hes buddies". Thats some kind of depth .

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
This means nothing, but the chart on the OP amuses me because I just finished lurking through the Pens GDT from last night and there was a pretty consistent theme of Petry and Dumolin largely being garbage so far this year.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Oh also I just took a look at these same stats (I assume it's being filtered for minimum 50 mins played) b/c Nurse-Ceci gapped the ever living f*** out of Dumoulin-Letang yesterday (and to a lesser extent also outplayed the Petterson-Petry pairing). Nurse-Ceci pushed themselves up from 8th to 6th, dragged Petterson-Petry down from 1st to 3rd, and sent Dumoulin-Letang plummeting down from 5th to 21st.
This means nothing, but the chart on the OP amuses me because I just finished lurking through the Pens GDT from last night and there was a pretty consistent theme of Petry and Dumolin largely being garbage so far this year.
How much of that is a knee jerk reaction to Nurse-Ceci, Nurse-Bouchard, and the Oilers top 6 bashing their faces in and making those two look like AHLers?

Last edited:

NotAVacuumSalesman

Jun 19, 2017
He actually made pretty huge strides last year in terms of shot suppression specifically due to an spike in entry denials (also flipping to Ceci instead of Barrie as a primary partner helped) and that was while playing against the opposing team's best players. I don't think that 98th percentile defense for 2021-22 is accurate btw, nor do I think that 3rd percentile in 2020-21 is accurate, a lot of that has to do with partners. His actual level is probs a good above average dman in the league defensively who can drive offense/transition. His in zone positioning could still use some work but he's our best defensive dman, lets not kid ourselves.
View attachment 598614
I'd argue Ceci is the better defensive defender. He's basically allowed Nurse to jump into the rush as freely as he wants. Ceci is far better at defending than Nurse has, if we're going by the OP's 5 game sample size lol

Those JFresh stats differ from season to season. It's good reference from the previous seasons but I wouldn't put too much weight on it.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
I'd argue Ceci is the better defensive defender. He's basically allowed Nurse to jump into the rush as freely as he wants. Ceci is far better at defending than Nurse has, if we're going by the OP's 5 game sample size lol

Those JFresh stats differ from season to season. It's good reference from the previous seasons but I wouldn't put too much weight on it.
Nah Ceci is made to look better defensively b/c of Nurse. Not the other way around. We saw this with Bear. Bouchard, and Barrie too (or at least made Barrie look like a regular bad defensive dman instead of the dumpster fire he was without Nurse). Ceci is able to play back more b/c of Nurse's ability to skate faster than all but a small handful of players in the league and long reach to get back in time and prevent odd man rushes. Nurse can aggressively shut down a lot of entry attempts by challenging the puck carrier at the line and forcing dump ins that Ceci can easily gobble up. Nurse is also usually the one clearing the crease/going into the boards. Ceci didn't have even close to this many options when playing with Keith last year and also doesn't do nearly as well when paired with Kulak b/c he has to be the one playing aggressively/challenging.

NotAVacuumSalesman

Jun 19, 2017
Not rent free at all. I think it's quite the opposite.
Its just kind of comical with the level of analysis that a poster would think the reason that Darnell was signed was because "hes buddies". Thats some kind of depth .
It's become a trend when you only respond when I bring up Nurse's contract lol

giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad