Player Discussion Darnell Nurse is a #1 dman

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Probably the most under-rated Oiler I can think of since I was a fan. Horcoff probably the only other guy that comes to mind after he signed his contract.

Yes Nurse is overpaid by 1.5 mill but he is a very good player that we have no replacement for.
Sorry, but his contract amount and term says he is anything but underrated.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
1698381513815.png

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
People love to blame the goalies, love to envy other teams players over ours. Like last game, I was told the 2nd goal was on Skinner. Why can't our goalies play like Quick?

Bouchard just said in an interview we have to stop letting everyone getting tips in, so basically they have to let the goalies see the puck

If you go watch the amount of screens Darnell is coughing up this year it's mind boggling

Easy breakdown. Bayden Schneider does not have a better shot than Evan Bouchard. Last game both players walked in an fired a snapper top shelf. The biggest difference was, Quick was allowed to see the whole shot while Skinner was screened half way through it

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
People love to blame the goalies, love to envy other teams players over ours. Like last game, I was told the 2nd goal was on Skinner. Why can't our goalies play like Quick?

Bouchard just said in an interview we have to stop letting everyone getting tips in, so basically they have to let the goalies see the puck

If you go watch the amount of screens Darnell is coughing up this year it's mind boggling

Easy breakdown. Bayden Schneider does not have a better shot than Evan Bouchard. Last game both players walked in an fired a snapper top shelf. The biggest difference was, Quick was allowed to see the whole shot while Skinner was screened half way through it
Decision making on this team has been bad for many years now with lots of players. Decisions are gambles. A pinch is an example of gamble, and good teams do them all the time but only if the chance for offense is balanced by the chance against defense. Getting in the way of a shot is another example. Nurse should get in the way but for a shot like that. Get in the way of a high percentage shot. You can screen the goalie but the gamble has to be right.

But it's not just Nurse. The bad gambles are by just about everyone. JP was maybe the worst one for that

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
As confounding as Nurse can be at times, I’m convinced that the adjustments needed to improve his game are pretty simple.
As with most changes, it starts with the attitude. He has to stop believing that he “has arrived…achieved….met the standards and expectations “, simply because he’s played 6 seasons and has an oversized contract. Because he hasn’t. And by believing he has, he’s not learning and not working the right way.
Instead, adopt the attitude that he has to build his credibility as a Dman by playing smarter and growing his defensive game.

When I hear his post-game (losses this year), his take seems to suggest to me that he’s only mouthing the words because that’s expected. There is no genuine “mea culpa” there at all.
For his sake and the team’s sake, he needs to figure it out.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Nurse needs to stop thinking he is a goalie

Nurse Screening Skinner

Do they not have a media embed option on this website anymore
you're blaming that as a screen on skinner?
that was a perfect shot, that skinner saw.

but if there are fans on here who are goalies, and use the excuse of that was a screen, then sorry, you're a shitty goalie.

Last edited:
Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
As confounding as Nurse can be at times, I’m convinced that the adjustments needed to improve his game are pretty simple.
As with most changes, it starts with the attitude. He has to stop believing that he “has arrived…achieved….met the standards and expectations “, simply because he’s played 6 seasons and has an oversized contract. Because he hasn’t. And by believing he has, he’s not learning and not working the right way.
Instead, adopt the attitude that he has to build his credibility as a Dman by playing smarter and growing his defensive game.

When I hear his post-game (losses this year), his take seems to suggest to me that he’s only mouthing the words because that’s expected. There is no genuine “mea culpa” there at all.
For his sake and the team’s sake, he needs to figure it out.
There isn't

Look what he said last game. "I've been here 9 years and it's always the d or the goalies". Something to that effect. Kind of throwing the forwards under the bus (Forwards are at fault too).

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Decision making on this team has been bad for many years now with lots of players. Decisions are gambles. A pinch is an example of gamble, and good teams do them all the time but only if the chance for offense is balanced by the chance against defense. Getting in the way of a shot is another example. Nurse should get in the way but for a shot like that. Get in the way of a high percentage shot. You can screen the goalie but the gamble has to be right.

But it's not just Nurse. The bad gambles are by just about everyone. JP was maybe the worst one for that
No...its not just Nurse but Nurse is supposed to be one of the go to players on this team.
He is supposed to be reliable.
Instead he has perfected the play where he maintains a wide gap and backs into the goalie. A useless gap and a perfect screen....2 errors on one one play and he has it down to a science.
A goal on play like that most often isnt even considered a HDSC either.

Last edited:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Nurse needs to stop thinking he is a goalie

Nurse Screening Skinner

Do they not have a media embed option on this website anymore
That sequence is so painful to watch.

Drai floats over to the bench for a change as the Rangers have possession at the blue line and Holloway just points at the zone that he's supposed to be defending.

Nurse is stuck in no-man's land trying to defend two zones and then gets blamed for the goal haha.

Why play the Box+1 when you can play the J-1 instead?

186baece361a26aaea66c4b4fd486695.jpg

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
No...its not just Nurse but Nurse is supposed to be one of the go to players on this team.
Instead he has perfected the play where he maintains a wide gap and backs into the goalie. A useless gap and a perfect screen....2 errors on one one play and he has it down to a science.
Nurse really should be better. He is our top D or sharing that honor with Ekholm. He should be one of our best players at that. I'm not sure if there is a solution there.

Reactions: guymez

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Nurse really should be better. He is our top D or sharing that honor with Ekholm. He should be one of our best players at that. I'm not sure if there is a solution there.
Yeah...the team is stuck with him although man would that shake up this team if Holland were to trade Nurse.

Reactions: Ritchie Valens

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Yeah...the team is stuck with him although man would that shake up this team if Holland were to trade Nurse.
I thought he had a modified NTC, Holland gave him five seasons of a full NMC.

FMLITA.

No one says no to the sun belt so maybe there's a trade to be had with Dallas or one of the Florida teams.

Reactions: guymez

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
you're blaming that as a screen on skinner?
that was a perfect shot, that skinner saw.

but if there are fans on here who are goalies, and use the excuse of that was a screen, then sorry, you're a shitty goalie.
You blind dude? That was a totally screen. He shot from one side of Nurses body to the other. Skinner DID NOT see the puck leaving the stick

Just like the first game where everyone blamed Campbell on Boesers in close shot. Claimed Cambpell he had a slow glove lolollool. Nurse went into his"make myself as big as i can but screen my goalie' stance, it deflected off him top shelf. The pundits blamed Campbell as usual

Like I said, that exact same play happened twice that game. Once on Quick, once on Skinner. the only difference was Nurse was in the way ............as per usual

Hes been our best D this year. Which is why we also have 1 win with how bad hes been
You're on cloud 9 if you think that. Last game 2 goals were on him. Or that miraculous pinch 2 games ago lololollol

"our best D".......get a clue

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

People used to skewer Koskinen for the exact goal that Skinner gave up on Thursday.

The similar theme? Pathetic Nurse gap combined with a shot that goes through/around him as the goalie is screened. As everyone would chew on Koskinen I would be one of the few voices more angry at Nurse. Those are hard shots to stop for any goalie when you can't see the release and can't see the puck at all until it's already through the defender. Often all it would take is him getting his stick out in front of him to stop the shot, but even that is too much to ask.

Of all things with his game, his horrid gaps and poor stick defending the rush are the most grating. Mostly because he has the exact skill set necessary to be a monster defending the rush and the blue line. Great skater, long reach, can close quickly. Somehow, some way, his hockey sense is so poor that even with these strengths he can't in any way find a way to not be terrible at this.

Reactions: TB12

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
People used to skewer Koskinen for the exact goal that Skinner gave up on Thursday.

The similar theme? Pathetic Nurse gap combined with a shot that goes through/around him as the goalie is screened. As everyone would chew on Koskinen I would be one of the few voices more angry at Nurse. Those are hard shots to stop for any goalie when you can't see the release and can't see the puck at all until it's already through the defender. Often all it would take is him getting his stick out in front of him to stop the shot, but even that is too much to ask.

Of all things with his game, his horrid gaps and poor stick defending the rush are the most grating. Mostly because he has the exact skill set necessary to be a monster defending the rush and the blue line. Great skater, long reach, can close quickly. Somehow, some way, his hockey sense is so poor that even with these strengths he can't in any way find a way to not be terrible at this.

You can’t complain about his gap when the LW that is supposed to be between him and the puck carrier is literally outside the blue line on the right side of the ice.

And there’s zero back pressure because Drai is still gliding to the bench for a change as Schneider crosses the blue line.

This is the kind of stuff Strudwick talks about. Nurse getting blamed for stuff because he’s the closest to the puck despite it being the forwards who made two of the dumbest decisions possible.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
You blind dude? That was a totally screen. He shot from one side of Nurses body to the other. Skinner DID NOT see the puck leaving the stick

Just like the first game where everyone blamed Campbell on Boesers in close shot. Claimed Cambpell he had a slow glove lolollool. Nurse went into his"make myself as big as i can but screen my goalie' stance, it deflected off him top shelf. The pundits blamed Campbell as usual

Like I said, that exact same play happened twice that game. Once on Quick, once on Skinner. the only difference was Nurse was in the way ............as per usual

You're on cloud 9 if you think that. Last game 2 goals were on him. Or that miraculous pinch 2 games ago lololollol

"our best D".......get a clue
I never said he was good.

Your reading ability is pretty low.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
You can’t complain about his gap when the LW that is supposed to be between him and the puck carrier is literally outside the blue line on the right side of the ice.

And there’s zero back pressure because Drai is still gliding to the bench for a change as Schneider crosses the blue line.

This is the kind of stuff Strudwick talks about. Nurse getting blamed for stuff because he’s the closest to the puck despite it being the forwards who made two of the dumbest decisions possible.

Ok, I’ll blame him for the terrible gap on the third goal against then.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Well put and thats exactly why I find it so so frustrating. He has so many tools and yet it doesnt matter.
That should be a basic read for him and he manages to f**k it up almost every time.
There is absolutely no reason for it. He is going to be 29 years old...he should need to learn this at this late stage. It should be ingrained. It should be part of his muscle memory by now.

I have been tossing this possibility around in my head the past few days....would you trade Nurse?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Ok, I’ll blame him for the terrible gap on the third goal against then.
Another play where a forward makes a brain dead decision.

RNH’s entire role in the Box+1 is to play in the box and stop that cross ice pass. Instead he follows a Ranger behind the net lol.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Another play where a forward makes a brain dead decision.

RNH’s entire role in the Box+1 is to play in the box and stop that cross ice pass. Instead he follows a Ranger behind the net lol.

All Nurse had to do was take a half step forward and put his stick out and the play is over. Instead he just stands there as he gets passed around.

You can't absolve Nurse for the first goal because someone was out of place up ice to kick off the chance, then on the other hand blame RNH when that play is over if Nurse managed to make a pretty routine defensive play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad