Dark Side Of The Ring season 4

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Tenta was a great guy from all accounts, interesting background with the sumo stint in Japan, and sadly died too young. I just don't see why any of it qualifies for an episode of this series. Doesn't fit tonally, and not remarkable enough to show the "dark side" of wrestling .
Well, they're definitely running out of ideas. This episode was sad but yeah nothing dark about it. The Typhoon stuff wasn't even sad and Haku seeing the Shockmaster video for the first time was absolutely hilarious.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Buff was definitely interesting!

Tenta was interesting (and a bit sad) too of course, and while not exactly "dark" I didn't mind nor care. I'd love to see more mini-biographies like that just fine.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Buff one felt a little off for me, like they yada yada'd some of the end of his wrestling days. But kudos to him (and Scottie Riggs) for getting straightened up.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Yeah this was def a lot darker than the Tenta one

His mom shaving his balls is what did it for me. Darker than the Benoit episode

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
Well, they're definitely running out of ideas. This episode was sad but yeah nothing dark about it. The Typhoon stuff wasn't even sad and Haku seeing the Shockmaster video for the first time was absolutely hilarious.

I guess the dark part(s) of the Earthquake episode would be how such a gentle giant wound up being treated like shit for "crossing" Vince McMahon and how such a horrible thing like cancer would take a loving family man from his family and peers far too early.

To me, that's pretty dark in my eyes. You have a guy who didn't party it up on the road or anything, didn't get hooked on drugs or alcohol, didn't sleep around on his wife etc. that was treated like shit in the long run all because he made a personal decision that allowed him to spend more time with his family. And even then, WCW goes and gives him to the lamest gimmicks imaginable. A man like John Tenta deserved a lot better.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
come on now
I hear about murder-suicide all the time, it’s unfortunately all too common of an occurrence these days

But a mother shaving her sons balls?? This is a first for me and I’m left far more disturbed. At least Benoit’s brain was mush wtf is your excuse Buff 😭

Reactions: Mrfenn92

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I guess the dark part(s) of the Earthquake episode would be how such a gentle giant wound up being treated like shit for "crossing" Vince McMahon and how such a horrible thing like cancer would take a loving family man from his family and peers far too early.

To me, that's pretty dark in my eyes. You have a guy who didn't party it up on the road or anything, didn't get hooked on drugs or alcohol, didn't sleep around on his wife etc. that was treated like shit in the long run all because he made a personal decision that allowed him to spend more time with his family. And even then, WCW goes and gives him to the lamest gimmicks imaginable. A man like John Tenta deserved a lot better.
I somewhat get it, but at the same time I wonder if he choose the right career.

He flip flopped a lot due to his family, which I have no issue with. But at the same time hard for a company to invest into a guy knowing he could be gone in 2-3 years

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Gordy was a few years before my time, so I was looking forward to this episode. Some of the post-coma footage was tough to watch. I had forgotten he briefly appeared in the WWF as The Executioner. After watching the episode, now I better understand why those matches against the Undertaker weren't great.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Gordy was a few years before my time, so I was looking forward to this episode. Some of the post-coma footage was tough to watch. I had forgotten he briefly appeared in the WWF as The Executioner. After watching the episode, now I better understand why those matches against the Undertaker weren't great.
Lol, exactly word for word here for me as well.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Nobody has noted it but the last great match Gordy ever had was against Raven in ECW and it was almost a version of Tom Magee-Bret Hart with Raven making Gordy look like a million bucks and having some people think Gordy was back.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Interesting episode on Brutus yesterday. Considering what happened to his face that surgeon must've been the top in the world to get everything back together. You'd never know that guy needed a hundred feet of wire and 30 some screws to reconstruct his face. Simply amazing work.

Never realized he was the Disciple from WCW until yesterday either

Also have no idea why Brian Knobbs was on last night's episode. The guy brought nothing other than taking shots at Brutus.

Sorry his name is "Hogan Tax" apparently.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Also have no idea why Brian Knobbs was on last night's episode. The guy brought nothing other than taking shots at Brutus.

As the series has gone on, and formerly reliable narrators and voices stop participating, one of its biggest flaws is they'll basically take anyone willing to come on. There's still some good content - the Gordy one, for example - but too many episodes have people on riffing and speculating. The genesis of the series was to shine a light on the dark chapters of the business, and it's unfortunate how sloppy some episodes have been. As darkly absurd as the Jannetty one was, for example, if you want to be taken seriously as storytellers, you just stop filming after 5 minutes and don't engage in his schtick.

Last edited:

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Interesting episode on Brutus yesterday. Considering what happened to his face that surgeon must've been the top in the world to get everything back together. You'd never know that guy needed a hundred feet of wire and 30 some screws to reconstruct his face. Simply amazing work.

I loved Beefcake and enjoyed the Nasty Boys plenty as a kid, and as a teen in their older days I didn't mind them being around either. Sure they weren't setting the world on fire but they were capable enough and were known, so I was unbothered by them. Anyway, point being Knobbs is almost as much a "Hogan Tax" as Brutus was, so where does he have room to talk :laugh:

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
The genesis of the series was to shine a light on the dark chapters of the business, and it's unfortunate how sloppy some episodes have been. As darkly absurd as the Jannetty one was, for example, if you want to be taken seriously as storytellers, you just stop filming after 5 minutes and don't engage in his schtick.

It's coming across to me as if the subjects are being granted too much creative control in these episodes now. It was pretty clear in the Brutus episode. My assumption is that there isn't a long lineup of wrestlers past and present jumping on the chance to crap on the business.

I still enjoy this season so far more than Season 3.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
It's coming across to me as if the subjects are being granted too much creative control in these episodes now. It was pretty clear in the Brutus episode. My assumption is that there isn't a long lineup of wrestlers past and present jumping on the chance to crap on the business.

I still enjoy this season so far more than Season 3.
Do you mean season 4? I thought season 3 was pretty good, definitely better than season 4. This is season 5 being aired right now. Just using the season 4 thread.

Reactions: TheShape

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC

For real, you didn't know he was the Disciple? I thought it was well known back then he was the Disciple. The way he described how his face got smashed was rough, that was brutal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad