Dark Side Of The Ring season 4

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
So why was Jannetty and his lady friend of 30 or 40 years making comments about how Shawn Michaels got off without any repercussions for the Chuck Austin incident?

Like what did Michaels do that broke Austin's neck?

On a side note after watching that episode and then looking up his age I was kinda shocked Jannetty is still alive. Talk about a rough life full of drugs and injuries

Seemed to me like Michael's did his best to completely avoid making contact with Austin at all when he came off the top rope.

Janetty's friend was one haggard looking woman, eh? Sheesh.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Seriously. This is what I was saying...

"Of course, Shawn gets off"

Seemed to me like Michael's did his best to completely avoid making contact with Austin at all when he came off the top rope.

Jannetty even said Shawn completely avoided him. Although I guess he did tell Shawn the guy might be hurt so maybe the ring bouncing could've made things worse, but even then I don't know that he's liable. It was just odd how Marty and his friend were passing it off as Shawn got away because he's Shawn. Even stunned he got off lol

Were you surprised with his friend though? Not sure how many friends he really had that were there for everything. The amount of trouble he was into you lose a lot of people.

I honestly had no idea Jannetty came back in 2005. I kind of stopped watching not long before that, but even now knowing this still kinda shocked.

Toothless Legend

Oct 15, 2021
Wheat Ridge, CO
Man, the episode would have been so much better if they had somehow gotten Shawn on board. Brutus* and that other guy were just carrying Marty's water about how Shawn only got ahead by asskissing (Al Snow was the only voice of reason in any of the interviews). Yeah, we know he did that, but his legacy speaks for itself. The old man may have spotted talent like he'd done many times before. As an aside, Marty kept tripping over his own feet after the split. If he stayed somewhat clean with the law, you could imagine a world where he fit nicely into the B-squad (with a gimmick change, of course) during the Attitude Era and earned himself a nice living.

The homicide claims seem entirely implausible to me. Based on Marty's details, it would be really easily for even a backwater PD to link it to an open cold case or missing person report--even 40ish years later. Not to mention, I can't imagine Jannetty and whoever else was involved being sophisticated enough to disappear a body Sopranos style. Just doesn't add up.

But, if nothing else, the title of the episode was great.

*Why was Brutus's wife even interviewed? I'm guessing Brutus refused to participate unless she could get a payday as well... and show off those hideous old lady sweater cows.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I honestly had no idea Jannetty came back in 2005. I kind of stopped watching not long before that, but even now knowing this still kinda shocked.

It was like a 2 week cameo as part of the leadup to Shawn's Wrestlemania match with Kurt Angle. The week after, Kurt brought out Sherri and did this (one of the funniest segments he ever was in)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: DaaaaB's

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

At one point they showed a picture of them from the 80s and she looked really good, the drugs really do a number on a person.

Reactions: TheShape

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
So why was Jannetty and his lady friend of 30 or 40 years making comments about how Shawn Michaels got off without any repercussions for the Chuck Austin incident?

Like what did Michaels do that broke Austin's neck?

On a side note after watching that episode and then looking up his age I was kinda shocked Jannetty is still alive. Talk about a rough life full of drugs and injuries

Yeah I am still kind of confused about this one.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
To be fair Marty got screwed over by the Chuck Austin thing. Chuck was the one who lied about his experience and training to get on the show and then as a result completely botched the move. I can see them getting money off the WWE because they hired him and placed him on the card when they shouldn't have if they'd done due diligence, but Marty shouldn't have been held liable in any way.

Reactions: DaaaaB's and CDJ

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
At one point they showed a picture of them from the 80s and she looked really good, the drugs really do a number on a person.

Yeah she was good looking in her earlier years. But man, the present day version of her looks like she's been run over a few times.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
To be fair Marty got screwed over by the Chuck Austin thing. Chuck was the one who lied about his experience and training to get on the show and then as a result completely botched the move. I can see them getting money off the WWE because they hired him and placed him on the card when they shouldn't have if they'd done due diligence, but Marty shouldn't have been held liable in any way.
He was screwed far before that incident.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
What happened to the Chris Colt episode? It was announced and Cornette has mentioned a few times. Was it scrapped or being held for another season?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It was like a 2 week cameo as part of the leadup to Shawn's Wrestlemania match with Kurt Angle. The week after, Kurt brought out Sherri and did this (one of the funniest segments he ever was in)

I think it was only 2 weeks as Jannetty got into trouble again. Sounded like they were going to give him a contract, but he wasted it again.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Saw on instagram a few weeks ago that there will be season 5 and they asked for suggestions. I'll have to find the post later as there was some good suggestions.

Below link suggest Scott Hall was going to be in season 4, but it didn't work out so he's probably in 5.

Other topics suggested by fans include Perry Saturn, the ring boy scandal, Curt Hennig, and Ashley Massaro.

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Saw on instagram a few weeks ago that there will be season 5 and they asked for suggestions. I'll have to find the post later as there was some good suggestions.

Below link suggest Scott Hall was going to be in season 4, but it didn't work out so he's probably in 5.

Other topics suggested by fans include Perry Saturn, the ring boy scandal, Curt Hennig, and Ashley Massaro.

Mike f***ing Awesome damn it

Reality Check

May 28, 2008

Last thing this series needs is more Vince stuff. Vice had a two-hour doc on Vince himself. Which wasn't that good to begin with.

I much rather see stuff like Buck Zumhofe, Chris Adams or Sherri Martel at this point. I would also not be shocked by a CM Punk episode.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Was there something really controversial about the Abdullah the Butcher episode. I noticed tonight that Crave TV no longer has that episode available on their VOD section. And i is the only DSOTR episode no longer available. And when I went to watch it on YouTube I got the following message: This video isn't available anymore. I did find the episode on the Daily Motion site but I prefer watching TV programming on my TV if possible. Any idea on why Crave TV pulled it ????

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Was there something really controversial about the Abdullah the Butcher episode. I noticed tonight that Crave TV no longer has that episode available on their VOD section. And i is the only DSOTR episode no longer available. And when I went to watch it on YouTube I got the following message: This video isn't available anymore. I did find the episode on the Daily Motion site but I prefer watching TV programming on my TV if possible. Any idea on why Crave TV pulled it ????
I know the referee just filed a lawsuit against Hannibal a few weeks ago so maybe it has something to do with that?

Reactions: joestevens29

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The Bash at the Beach episode was fun because you basically had two compulsive liars telling their side of the story.

The thing about Russo is that he can write some really good stuff and has an immense talent for that - provided that someone is in a position of authority over him checking him and preventing him from going too far. But he's really his own worst enemy.

That's why WWF was great in the Attitude Era, Russo wrote some amazing TV with compelling storylines that intertwined, etc. But whenever he went too far, whether it was over the line of taste or just ungrounded fantastical booking, he had Pat Patterson, Bruce Prichard, and most importantly Vince McMahon to stop him. Also I believe having Corny there pulling in the opposite direction at least kept them somewhat centered. But when he went to WCW he lost the support structure to check him and he went crazy - though as I said in the other thread about unpopular opinions, I think his early WCW run from October 99-January 2000 was shaping up to be good until Hart, Goldberg, and Jarrett all got injured at the same time and blew up his storylines. It was after coming back with Bischoff (who is a professional liar and was firmly hanging onto Hogan's coattails at that point) and especially after Bash at the Beach where his booking went straight up inane.

If they do a Mike Awesome episode they should get into the rumor that Vince Russo buried him and put him in high profile embarrassing gimmicks to send a message because he's tangentially related to Hulk Hogan (I believe Mike Awesome was cousins with Horace Hogan on their maternal side).

I laughed when Bischoff said "this is where the compulsive part of the term compulsive liar comes out"

Oh its a fact that Russo believes he is a major major reason for the late 90s boom period and he is absolutely delusional.

Was it the Screw job episode that just devolved into 10 minutes of Cornette and Russo just shitting on each other?

Yup.... that was pure entertainment :laugh:

I could be wrong but I think Cornette called Russo the dumbest person to ever live or something like that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad