Dark Side Of The Ring season 4

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
good episode

Every time Meltzer comes on and reminds us he started covering wrestling in 1971 it blows my mind. Say what you want about the star system but to maintain this level of passion over 50+ years is wild. That’s true love. The amount of historical knowledge he has is unrivaled.

Meltzer was 12 in 1971. Maybe he Had Lil Davie's Wrestling Wrapsheet he handed to his friends but I don't think he actually starting covering it as a job till the early 80s. I am not disqualifying his passion for the sport, but when your livelihood depends on covering the sport, I am guessing that helps you keep that business going.

Reactions: Voight

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Jim Ross explains why he will no longer appear on Dark Side of the Ring.

from comicbook.com:

Jim Ross has frequently appeared on Dark Side of the Ring acoss its first three seasons, commenting on topics such as The Plane Ride From Hell, The Brawl For All and the deaths of WWE stars like Owen Hart and Chris Benoit. However, Ross said on the latest Grilling JR podcast that he'll no longer appear on the show due to issues with how some of his comments have been edited. Neither of the series' creators — Jason Eisener and Evan Husney — have commented publicly on Ross' comments as of this writing.

"It's mixed. I have some problems with some Dark Side editing. I thought I was misrepresented a time or two in the edit," Ross said. "But I mean, I admire those guys' entrepreneurial spirit and I think it's a good purpose, but I think sometimes they bite into the apple of the dirt. They narrowcast a little bit too much for me, but I'm still going to watch their shows."

"I'm not sure I'll be on any more of them simply because I had such unfortunate negative afterthoughts of it, but you know, you never know," he continued. "Those guys are good guys and they mean well, but I think the edit was a little bit callous and not well thought out quite frankly. So I hope they continue to do those shows, and if they do, I'll continue to watch and we'll see. They should get better at what they do."

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
The Bash at the Beach and Jannetty ones will be goat rodeos. The latter especially feels like the kind of thing you shouldn't give too much oxygen too. Who knows how much, if any, of it is true.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The Bash at the Beach and Jannetty ones will be goat rodeos. The latter especially feels like the kind of thing you shouldn't give too much oxygen too. Who knows how much, if any, of it is true.
I just watch some documentary on Prime the other day. Was talking about the downside of wrestling with a lot of guys.

Jannetty was in it. What a freaking mess he looked like. Unless he had the flu I really don't know why he was on the episode.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Thoughts on the BOTB episode:
20211031_090439.jpg

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I very much enjoyed that. Wish we could’ve had Schiavone on there though to reminisce on his live reaction.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
I very much enjoyed that. Wish we could’ve had Schiavone on there though to reminisce on his live reaction.

He refuses to work with them, I think he feels the show has cut and edited comments by guys that made them look bad and just doesn't like guys getting dragged thru the mud.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
He refuses to work with them, I think he feels the show has cut and edited comments by guys that made them look bad and just doesn't like guys getting dragged thru the mud.
I bet that the only reason they got Bischoff was so he could take gratuitous shots at Russo and Meltzer. Dave didn’t even really serve a purpose other than to be an impartial party.

Jeff Jarrett was awesome though, that retelling of him waiting in the back I hadn’t known.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Jarrett and Storm were the only ones worth listening to. The Russo/Bischoff stuff is so dumb and childish. 62 and 68 and they're still having just inane backs and forth. At least they couldn't shoehorn Cornette in there as well. WCW by that point was just beyond saving, and it's amazing 20+ years later it was everyone else's fault but whoever is recounting their side of the story.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
^ I was hoping they'd toss Cornette in there just to give his typical opinion of Russo.

That said, I was all for Russo burying that sack of shit Hogan at BAB 2000.

Reactions: Voight and blkhawk

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Fascinating episode, this was a welcome change from all the drugs/downfall talk.

Really enjoyed Jeff Jarrett’s insight. Pick your poison between Russo and Bischoff.

Cannot wait to hear Cornette’s input on this one.

Reactions: CDJ

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Bischoff and Russo both came across as liars, IMO.

I think Jarrett was being honest, but he clearly seems to be more on Russo's side.

At the end of the day, Hogan, Bischoff and Russo are three scumbags.
The Jarretts later brought in Russo as TNA was starting, so that made sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $325.00