Player Discussion Danton Heinen

Status
Not open for further replies.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
It's an interesting idea. I agree his IQ, anticipation, positioning and playmaking ability seem like quality talents for a two-way center. I'd be surprised if he didn't play center at lower levels prior to reaching the NCAA (not uncommon for elite-level bantam/midget players).

He played C at Denver pretty regularly, and I have seen him at C occasionally in PRO. I have no doubt he could play center in BOS, if that’s what they needed him to do.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Heinen deserves his " learn to walk before run " rookie stint with the pro team and not shuttled back and forth from Boston to Providence and back again. I realize that we have a lot of rookies in the lineup currently, but this kid is too good for the AHL. He's improvement from last year is encouraging.

BruinsNetwork

Heinen deserves his " learn to walk before run " rookie stint with the pro team and not shuttled back and forth from Boston to Providence and back again. I realize that we have a lot of rookies in the lineup currently, but this kid is too good for the AHL. He's improvement from last year is encouraging.

Yes, while Danton is a highly-skilled player, there are simply too many forwards on the NHL roster and salaries need to be moved too. Between Kuraly (whom hasn't played too well so far this season,) Vatrano, Beleskey & Spooner - there simply isn't enough space.

Heinen, Czarnik, Cehlarik, Agostino & JFK are all players whom could benefit from, and are ready for the NHL. If you want to say Agostino & Czarnik are fringe-players I'm ok with that assement. However, there simply aren't enough spots right now to hold everyone, and the cap-crunching has begun from Sweeney.

Heinen is a top-6 forward in my opinion, and he needs to be in the NHL. It is rather unfortunate that players like Beleskey and Vatrano aren't providing anything to the team because Heinen can, and already has.

Something that I don't want to happen but I know is a real possibility - Sweeney will explore a trade route that involves Heinen, Cehlarik, Czarnik or a combination of them to acquire an impact NHL player.

Reactions: Mainehockey33

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Yes, while Danton is a highly-skilled player, there are simply too many forwards on the NHL roster and salaries need to be moved too. Between Kuraly (whom hasn't played too well so far this season,) Vatrano, Beleskey & Spooner - there simply isn't enough space.

Heinen, Czarnik, Cehlarik, Agostino & JFK are all players whom could benefit from, and are ready for the NHL. If you want to say Agostino & Czarnik are fringe-players I'm ok with that assement. However, there simply aren't enough spots right now to hold everyone, and the cap-crunching has begun from Sweeney.

Heinen is a top-6 forward in my opinion, and he needs to be in the NHL. It is rather unfortunate that players like Beleskey and Vatrano aren't providing anything to the team because Heinen can, and already has.

Something that I don't want to happen but I know is a real possibility - Sweeney will explore a trade route that involves Heinen, Cehlarik, Czarnik or a combination of them to acquire an impact NHL player.
The problem I think is toughness on the big team. The rookies are getting bounced around. Teams are picking that up. They need that grit and that's why Belesky and Kuraly are playing.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

One of these is not like the other.

I think it is possible JFK might be able to play in the NHL in a pinch right now, but I have no doubt he needs time in Providence, and is playing where he should be right now.

Reactions: Mainehockey33

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
The problem I think is toughness on the big team. The rookies are getting bounced around. Teams are picking that up. They need that grit and that's why Belesky and Kuraly are playing.

I don't see what toughness Beleskey brings floating around like a zombie and doing nothing for 10 minutes per game. Kuraly brings that element, but it comes at the cost of occasional poor hockey decisions that may or may not lead to goals against.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
we also have a 6M dollar winger who should be bringing these "intangibles"

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
I didn't see much and it seems the Bruins brass didn't either. I doubt he'll ever pan out.

I agree. This summer i posted that i did not see much in Danton albeit in a very short stint in the NHL and now it seems he is on the "never panned out" track. he just never impressed me in any way.

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
I agree. This summer i posted that i did not see much in Danton albeit in a very short stint in the NHL and now it seems he is on the "never panned out" track. he just never impressed me in any way.
I completely disagree. I think if they thought he could play center he would be up right now. The fact that there are more wingers that can not be sent down without going through waivers is the reason he is in the minors. It’s a numbers game which I personally disagree with. I think Danton gives us more than Vatrano and Beleskey.

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
He's a hell of a lot faster or was in Providence last week

Well , i sure hope you're right but using Beleskey or Vatrano has your standards isn't very enticing to me.

I completely disagree. I think if they thought he could play center he would be up right now. The fact that there are more wingers that can not be sent down without going through waivers is the reason he is in the minors. It’s a numbers game which I personally disagree with. I think Danton gives us more than Vatrano and Beleskey.

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
Well , i sure hope you're right but using Beleskey or Vatrano has your standards isn't very enticing to me.

I believe Danton has shown more this year in the NHL in the games he has played than both Beleskey and Vatrano. I think if Vatrano and Beleskey were waiver exempt they be in Providence and Danton would be up.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

So, you didn't see anything that impressed you in basically his first games as a Pro...which is fair enough.

Since then, he played a full AHL season as a rookie and put up decent regular season numbers (14g/30a in 64 games), had 9g/9a in PRO's 17 playoff games, recorded 3 assists in 3 NHL games this year on the 4th line, then was sent down and has 1g/7a in 4 AHL games.

Was the last time you saw him play, October 2016?

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
How much have you seen him play to come to your conclusion? I won't ask Hughes. Same schtick with him.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I give you and Hughes credit- you two are firmly in the Heinen is a bust camp. You may be right and if so I'll be the first to say I remember you and Brent Hughes correctly called it.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
It's an interesting idea. I agree his IQ, anticipation, positioning and playmaking ability seem like quality talents for a two-way center. I'd be surprised if he didn't play center at lower levels prior to reaching the NCAA (not uncommon for elite-level bantam/midget players).
few things on Heinen

1. He struggled for a long stretch in Providence but when April came around in the biggest and most important games he blew away his regular season PPG stats posting a line of 9G-9A 18 points in 17 games to lead all rookie scorers and break the Providence mark of Krejci and Marchand.

2. I went opening night and although the Agostino-JFK-Cehlarik line dominated, Heinen as I posted that night in the game thread was on and around the puck like no time I remember last year including the couple of playoff games I saw him. Was he faster? quicker? more confident? not sure but he was better and one of the obvious standout players on the ice.

3. Boston in his 3 game stint two weeks ago getting 3 assists and not looking one bit out of place.

4. In Providence 3 games in 3 days this past weekend he registered 8 points including a short handed goal in 3 wins. Mark Diiver who covers the team for the Providence Journal and is one of the best hockey writers anywhere was very complimentary on his overall play- pretty much painted a dominant picture,

Does this mean he will make it? no but when new evidence presents itself you'd be wise to consider it

Reactions: HustleB

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
few things on Heinen...................................

Does this mean he will make it? no but when new evidence presents itself you'd be wise to consider it

Good advice....wondering if it’s more relevant to some posters here or the B’s front office??????

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I think Heinen and Cehlarik deserve to be in the NHL right now with the Bruins. I wish there was a way to get rid of Beleskey without having to give up assets to do it. IMHO Beleskey is the one forward that needs to go, sure guys like Nash and Vatrano are not doing that well either, but Beleskey makes $3.8M per year and he is no where near that value. Wonder if they put his name out there if some team desperate for help would take him for say a 5th-7th round pick?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I think Heinen and Cehlarik deserve to be in the NHL right now with the Bruins. I wish there was a way to get rid of Beleskey without having to give up assets to do it. IMHO Beleskey is the one forward that needs to go, sure guys like Nash and Vatrano are not doing that well either, but Beleskey makes $3.8M per year and he is no where near that value. Wonder if they put his name out there if some team desperate for help would take him for say a 5th-7th round pick?

Seems to be universally accepted around here that the Bruins would have to add to the deal to move out Belesky. And the addition price ain't cheap.

If Sweeney could move Belesky out straight up for a 7th rounder, it would already be done.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
few things on Heinen

1. He struggled for a long stretch in Providence but when April came around in the biggest and most important games he blew away his regular season PPG stats posting a line of 9G-9A 18 points in 17 games to lead all rookie scorers and break the Providence mark of Krejci and Marchand.

2. I went opening night and although the Agostino-JFK-Cehlarik line dominated, Heinen as I posted that night in the game thread was on and around the puck like no time I remember last year including the couple of playoff games I saw him. Was he faster? quicker? more confident? not sure but he was better and one of the obvious standout players on the ice.

3. Boston in his 3 game stint two weeks ago getting 3 assists and not looking one bit out of place.

4. In Providence 3 games in 3 days this past weekend he registered 8 points including a short handed goal in 3 wins. Mark Diiver who covers the team for the Providence Journal and is one of the best hockey writers anywhere was very complimentary on his overall play- pretty much painted a dominant picture,

I thought he was significantly improved from what I saw of him this year . He was a lot more engaged , confident with the puck and didn’t think he deserved to get sent down .

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

if team feels belesky cant play... he can go to minors. we get 900k cap relief which pays heinens nhl salary

i dont think the team is ready to do that but its possible it can happen

Reactions: bbfan419

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
few things on Heinen

Sounds like it's time to move on. He just really didn't pan out.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Sounds like it's time to move on. He just really didn't pan out.

He's no Ryan White or Tyler Randell, that's for sure! If only he wore cuttoff tank tops and had a cool looking scar on his face, he'd be a welcome addition to this team, according to some people at least.

Reactions: DKH

PacificNWBruin

Apr 23, 2015
Netherlands
Calling a 22 year old 4th rounder a bust before he actually makes the NHL doesn't make anyone some sort of prospect genius. With his draft position and his development he's actually holding more value then most drafted in the 4th round.

The only person to stick on a NHL roster drafted in the same round and year Heinen was drafted was Arvidsson with NSH.

Don't understand how some won't let go of this "Heinen will never pan out" train.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
if team feels belesky cant play... he can go to minors. we get 900k cap relief which pays heinens nhl salary

i dont think the team is ready to do that but its possible it can happen

I would prefer this instead of buying him out, we have enough of that already with Seidenberg and Hayes, maybe some team claims him off waivers if we are lucky, if not let finish his contract in Providence.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
Calling a 22 year old 4th rounder a bust before he actually makes the NHL doesn't make anyone some sort of prospect genius. With his draft position and his development he's actually holding more value then most drafted in the 4th round.

The only person to stick on a NHL roster drafted in the same round and year Heinen was drafted was Arvidsson with NSH.

Don't understand how some won't let go of this "Heinen will never pan out" train.
I really don't understand the need to jump on players, whether its a guy coming back from injury or a rookie that didn't immediately blow the doors off. Especially one that has been exceeding expectations for so long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad