Recalled/Assigned: Dano recalled, Gibbons put on waivers and sent to Springfield

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
you are an exception, and I know you know what you are talking about, but most people that only play soccer don't like any kind of rough sports or fighting and they don't understand and can't wrap their head around the role of someone who's job isn't to score goals. really it's hard for anyone that hasn't played on at least a high school team to understand Boll's roll, they just look at goals and assists and want MORE goals and we'll win...it's not that simple. Look at the Detroit teams that won the cup, I'm reading Darren McCarty's book right now, and he said they didn't come together as a championship team until they brought in Joe Kocur for his second stint with the Wings out of the beer league, "he was a calming presence on the bench and in the room, and everyone played like they were a foot taller because nobody wanted to have a meeting with Mr. Kocur on the other team"

Until we are sitting the next Gretzky in the pressbox, it gets really freakin old having everyone cry that Boll should sit, when he's actually playing well and contributing!

Yeah a Newark Peewee House League Scoring Championship or whatever you've got, doesn't give you any special insight. Sorry :(.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
And all the guys that played soccer growing up have to chime in....

I find this a comical reference. Soccer, like hockey, is one I'd the most physical demanding sports. Not only is it a sport that is counter to all others by using your feet instead of hands, it is actually quite physical one on one. Like hockey one must have more than one tool in the tool box to be successful. Role players exist and are the easiest to replace. There are actually a lot of similarities. I'm assuming you made this comment because 1) you never played and 2) since you never played you've made the correlation that because of the focus on flopping soccer is a soft sport. I played semi pro and also happen to be a red belt in Tai Kwon Do.

Yes, I'm a player. I play ice hockey too so I hope I'm qualified to discussed both. As for Boll and Tropp. They have their place in certain games but neither should be a full time player on a playoff team.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
that is EXTREMELY shortsighted and downright offensive to stereotype like that...

I didn't play hockey b/c I was introduced to hockey with the blue jackets, I was a football, soccer, and basketball guy...to say stuff like b/c I liked soccer I hate fighting is just a highly uneducated comment.

I want players on this team that perform multiple roles, not just being a punching bag. 3 points is not performing any role. The role of the just fighter is being weeded out of the game, that DOES NOT mean that someone wants fighting out of the game, there's a place for it when the time and game dictate it. Players like Boll that can only fight (and be a swell lockerroom guy) won't be in the game much longer, its a natural evolution of the game.

to lump ppl into a category b/c they dislike what your personal favorite player does or does not bring to the table is poor debating on your side.

plenty of posters have posted very thought out reasons for Boll to sit and not play. You disagree, and that's fine, but to resort to that type of argument is insulting

if I acted that way everytime someone took a swipe at Carter...

I am playing the odds, most soccer people don't even like hockey so at least you have that going for you...and Boll is not my favorite player, not even top 5 probably, I wear a Dubinsky sweater to every game, I'm also a fan of Calvert, Hartnell, Foligno and Bob. But I understand the roll Boll plays and I think he's played very well the last 10 games so I don't understand why so many people have to continually complain about him when he's doing well. Our defense is putrid and 10x more time is spent on a guy that plays less than 10 minutes a game. It's ludicrous.

Plus I'm bored at work and figured I would kick the beehive to pass the time;)

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I find this a comical reference. Soccer, like hockey, is one I'd the most physical demanding sports. Not only is it a sport that is counter to all others by using your feet instead of hands, it is actually quite physical one on one.

Playing quite a few spots (sadly not hockey yet); I found basketball more demanding than soccer. My heart rate went up higher and I had to hit top speed quicker and had to change direction quicker and more often. Plus the floor wasn't as forgiving on the back. Playing center (when younger) for a while the physical contact was greater. I rarely ran at top speed in soccer; although when I did it was for a greater distance. Since I was trained in Cross-Country it really wasn't that bad. I was rarely involved in big hits. Rarely anything like a foul when I was heading to the hoop.

Having said that, in neither sport was 1 winded like I see hockey player between periods.

I'm sure individual results may vary and those playing the sports in question will have their own prejudices. I didn't get to a high enough level at both for this to be completely accurate; but that was what I found at the high school level.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I thought we were supposed to talk nicely about guys who have played well recently. :sarcasm:

I'm not bashing Tropp, he just doesn't have the skill set to play with RyJo, I think Dano would fit better there because he's more creative and can score. I think the chemistry would be better. I don't suspect Tropp will be up there long once the game starts, his skill set is not playing 20+ minutes a night on a scoring line.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
you are an exception, and I know you know what you are talking about, but most people that only play soccer don't like any kind of rough sports or fighting and they don't understand and can't wrap their head around the role of someone who's job isn't to score goals.

The role he plays is understood. It's just that there's other points in play. Namely:
  • that role is also more than adequately performed by at least two or three other guys on this roster,
  • those guys are a whole heck of a lot better at hockey in general than Boll ever has been,
  • the importance of that role has diminished considerably in the last decade or so. Heck, that Kocur influence bit you cite took place long before the Blue Jackets existed, and subsequent Wings championships took place without the presence of an enforcer.
Things change.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
The role he plays is understood. It's just that there's other points in play. Namely:
  • that role is also more than adequately performed by at least two or three other guys on this roster,
  • those guys are a whole heck of a lot better at hockey in general than Boll ever has been,
  • the importance of that role has diminished considerably in the last decade or so. Heck, that Kocur influence bit you cite took place long before the Blue Jackets existed, and subsequent Wings championships took place without the presence of an enforcer.
Things change.

Mccarty was on all the Wings cups except the 2008 one, and he played part of that season with them as well.

The players that are a "heck of a lot better at hockey" are already in the lineup, we aren't sitting anyone that would bring anything better to the team.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I'm not bashing Tropp, he just doesn't have the skill set to play with RyJo, I think Dano would fit better there because he's more creative and can score. I think the chemistry would be better. I don't suspect Tropp will be up there long once the game starts, his skill set is not playing 20+ minutes a night on a scoring line.

I'm with you. I don't buy into attempting to balance scoring lines by putting a useless plug like Tropp with Johansen. It's the one issue that I have with HCTR....this "balanced scoring" approach. The bottom six has just been putrid all year. I wish Richards would have just accepted that and left his best scorers together.

Oh, and I'm with you on the soccer stuff. Glorified exercise in my book:naughty: Beehive stirred again:laugh:

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I'm with you. I don't buy into attempting to balance scoring lines by putting a useless plug like Tropp with Johansen. It's the one issue that I have with HCTR....this "balanced scoring" approach. The bottom six has just been putrid all year. I wish Richards would have just accepted that and left his best scorers together.

Oh, and I'm with you on the soccer stuff. Glorified exercise in my book:naughty: Beehive stirred again:laugh:

Here is a soccer game in a nutshell, run, run, run, kick ball way wide, brush arms with someone- lay there like you are dying, get stretchered off the field, colorful index card raised- opposing fans throw bags of urine on field, "injured" player returns next play, run run run, kick ball way wide, flop, run, flop, run, flop, kick ball over net, game ends nil-nil, hooligans chase down ref and beat him to death

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Sonofa... Seriously? All day long I've been thinking how unusually (yes, effing unusually) high-quality, engaging and productive the discussion has been today.

Now, far be it from me to try and justify soccer to a bunch of internet neanderthals, that ain't worth the time. But for the love of all things holy can we stay on topic in this heretofore not-godforsaken thread? Thank you.

ARGH.gif

Last edited:

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Sonofa... Seriously? All day long I've been thinking how unusually high-quality, engaging and productive the discussion has been today.

Now, far be it from me to try and justify soccer to a bunch of internet neanderthals, that ain't worth the time. But for the love of all things holy can we stay on topic in this heretofore not-godforsaken thread? Thank you.

Wait... Dano doesn't play soccer? This isn't the Crew board?

It's been a rough year for Gibbons. I wish it would have worked out better for him. Dano, I love it when we drafted him. Not surprised that we want a look at him now. I think he'll be fairly solid. We'll see.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Sonofa... Seriously? All day long I've been thinking how unusually (yes, effing unusually) high-quality, engaging and productive the discussion has been today.

ARGH.gif

The first few seasons of Scrubs were awesome! What are some of your other favorite shows? I'll hang up and listen

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I could see Dano as a RW in the top 6 on this team in the future. He has a little more size than Atkinson and is a little reckless with his play. From what little I have seen he also has some skill. He may not have the speed of Atkinson but he is shifty enough to play in a top 6 role. Worst case he's top 9. I'm interested to see how he performs this time around. I thought he was pretty good on most nights before being sent down. Maybe he's had enough adjustment to the NA game that putting him with some better players will show some scoring dividends...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad