Recalled/Assigned: Dano recalled, Gibbons put on waivers and sent to Springfield

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
He's already played 8 NHL games this season. What repercussions if any do we face if he plays more than 9 games?

I believe that that the team won't be able to use a "slide" on his ELC.

His entry contract would expire after 3 years. If he only plays 9 NHL games or less it would extend this contract a fourth year.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Didn't his ELC already slide after his short stint in Springy last year though?

http://nhlnumbers.com/2013/1/11/why...ct-years-so-stop-complaining-about-it-already

The other nice feature of the ELC is that a player can be signed to one after he is drafted, but if he is 18 or 19 and doesn't play more than 9 NHL games in a given year, his contract 'slides' to the next year and he will still have 3 years remaining on it.

Smart NHL fans have made the calculation themselves - well, if you have a very high draft pick, like the Oilers seem to every year, why would you put him in the NHL right away? Your team is terrible - adding that player adds next to nothing to your playoff chances. Plus, you lose a year off his valuable ELC.

If you held that player out until he was 20, you'd get more bang for your buck - the kid figures to be better at 20 than he is at 18, and you still get him on the same cheap three year contract.

If I'm reading this correctly, then it would still "slide". I think that a player's age is taken on Sept. 15 of the contract year. Dano was born on November 30.

A former Cincinnati Cyclones player, Taylor Aronson, had his ELC slide for two years because he was 18 when he signed it.

But, I'm only guessing about this. I don't really know.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Dano didn't sign an ELC last year IIRC. He signed a PTO with Springfield for the year and then signed his ELC

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
http://nhlnumbers.com/2013/1/11/why...ct-years-so-stop-complaining-about-it-already

If I'm reading this correctly, then it would still "slide". I think that a player's age is taken on Sept. 15 of the contract year. Dano was born on November 30.

A former Cincinnati Cyclones player, Taylor Aronson, had his ELC slide for two years because he was 18 when he signed it.

But, I'm only guessing about this. I don't really know.

He (and Rychel) are considered 20s on account of being late 94s. So they won't slide.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Except, you know...playing on the penalty kill.

His Corsi and Fenwick stats are significantly better than Boll's, too. But I think he's just a worse version of Cam.

Knuckle sandwiches are not part of the Corsi and Fenwick stats so therefore a useless stat for some players. And we have plenty of solid penalty killers, you don't keep him to kill penalties...

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Great to see him back. He was a far better player than Wennberg in those first 8 games. Will be interesting to see how TR uses him.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Knuckle sandwiches are not part of the Corsi and Fenwick stats so therefore a useless stat for some players. And we have plenty of solid penalty killers, you don't keep him to kill penalties...

you do if it keeps your top players rested and makes it so they can have more energy. I don't think knuckle sandwiches should be a stat but idk im sure there is some sort of correlation to faces punched and goals/assists/worth :sarcasm:

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
If they really wanted to keep Gibbons couldn't they have just sent him here on a 14 day conditioning assignment rather than expose him to waivers ?

I think we're already at 22 non-IR roster spots without Dano so this wasn't really an option.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Maybe it's because Rychel signed his contract on like Dec. 31st of 2013 and Dano/Wennberg didn't sign their ELCs until spring of 2014? Therefore Rychel signed in his "19 year" and Dano/Wennberg in their "20 years".

I think Wannabe is right as to why Rychel slides and Dano doesn't

From the CBA

As used in this Article, "age," including "First SPC Signing Age," means
a Player's age on September 15 of the calendar year in which he signs an SPC, regardless of his
actual age on the date he signs such SPC.

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
Not saying its definitely a prep move, but it could be a move ahead of a trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00