Waived: Danny DeKeyser

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
My only guess on waiving him is that they plan to swap DDK and Biega, so Biega can get 4 more games to qualify for the 27/54 expansion draft rule. Biega will need another contract though, and that would mean Stecher gets protected.

Djoos will do the thing after playing 17 games... don't have to mess with Biega. And they'll proably protect Hronek, Stecher and Cholowski.

And finally it's Lindström who will get picked. But we have Seider,Hronek and Stecher then to ice on the Right side from season 2021-22.

If Stecher is not protected and Lindström is, then we lose Stecher for sure. Will have three youngish RhDs anyways.

But Djoos will collect those games needed for the guy left exposed.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Djoos will do the thing after playing 17 games... don't have to mess with Biega. And they'll proably protect Hronek, Stecher and Cholowski.

And finally it's Lindström who will get picked. But we have Seider,Hronek and Stecher then to ice on the Right side from season 2021-22.

If Stecher is not protected and Lindström is, then we lose Stecher for sure. Will have three youngish RhDs anyways.

Wouldn't / Shouldn't we just protect: Hronek, Stecher & Lindstrom. DDK should be left unprotected, in which case either Djoos, DDK or Smith get claimed imo.

4 RD of Top7 '21-'22
Seider
Hronek
Stecher
Lindstrom

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

I see no reason to protect Cholo, and I think Lindstrom deserves another look before exposing him.

In any case an interesting move by the team to waive DDK, we'll see where this is going soon.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Wouldn't / Shouldn't we just protect: Hronek, Stecher & Lindstrom. DDK should be left unprotected, in which case either Djoos, DDK or Smith get claimed imo.

4 RD of Top7 '21-'22
Seider
Hronek
Stecher
Lindstrom
SMith will get protected, the WIngs really don't have any other forwards to protect. Svech cleared waivers and Erne is dime a dozen. If Smith goes unprotected, he'll get picked for sure. Seattle will pick at least one black player, the city is too liberal not to have minorities on the team.

DDK isn't getting picked, why would Seattle take a chance on a guy with back issues?

Djoos, probably. He was a free pickup anyways.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I'm not so sure this is nothing more then the fact SY dosent consider DD a part of Detroits top 6 dmen moving forward, needs some rehab game time in a lower league, isn't tradeable, but if he gets claimed who cares

Reactions: lilidk

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I'm not so sure this is nothing more then the fact SY dosent consider DD a part of Detroits top 6 dmen moving forward, needs some rehab game time in a lower league, isn't tradeable, but if he gets claimed who cares
Conditioning stints don't require waivers which makes this a strange move. He should've stayed on LTIR if he still has weakness in one leg, then insurance would have picked up his salary. I bet Chris Ilitch isn't too happy.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
SMith will get protected, the WIngs really don't have any other forwards to protect. Svech cleared waivers and Erne is dime a dozen. If Smith goes unprotected, he'll get picked for sure. Seattle will pick at least one black player, the city is too liberal not to have minorities on the team.

DDK isn't getting picked, why would Seattle take a chance on a guy with back issues?

Djoos, probably. He was a free pickup anyways.
That last spot is b/w Smith/Hirose/Svech imo. I think Ras & Vlad get protected + (MLB & Fabbri) =7

Hronek, Stech, Lindstrom=3

Greiss=1

we'll lose 1 bottom 6'er/AHL tweener or #6-8 dman. If DDK makes a near full recovery, that's a pretty good free player on 1 yr. & have to hit the cap floor. It'll be interesting. DDK said he felt great at the start of the season, maybe he had a set back? ~15 months w/o hockey too iirc.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
That last spot is b/w Smith/Hirose/Svech imo. I think Ras & Vlad get protected + (MLB & Fabbri) =7

Hronek, Stech, Lindstrom=3

Greiss=1

we'll lose 1 bottom 6'er/AHL tweener or #6-8 dman. If DDK makes a near full recovery, that's a pretty good free player on 1 yr. & have to hit the cap floor. It'll be interesting. DDK said he felt great at the start of the season, maybe he had a set back? ~15 months w/o hockey too iirc.
Hirose and Svech cleared waivers, what's the point of protecting waiver level players?

If DDK had a setback, he should have gone on LTIR. I don't understand why he's trying to play on one leg. This isn't MLB, and he's not Kurt Gibson.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Hirose and Svech cleared waivers, what's the point of protecting waiver level players?

If DDK had a setback, he should have gone on LTIR. I don't understand why he's trying to play on one leg. This isn't MLB, and he's not Kurt Gibson.

DDK likely sees a path to full health, or good enough health to push for a return anyway. Simple as that. And he (or the team/doctors, whatever) likely knows an official conditioning stint isn't long enough. No risk in waiving him. The league will be aware of his health, and combined with his contract, there is a 0% chance he gets claimed.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Conditioning stints don't require waivers which makes this a strange move. He should've stayed on LTIR if he still has weakness in one leg, then insurance would have picked up his salary. I bet Chris Ilitch isn't too happy.

Does he need to be waived too be demoted to GR?

Like I said, perhaps SY simply dosent think he belongs in our top 6, healthy or not

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Our minds?

If picked up, he'd be on his 7th team in 9 seasons. Waived by the worst team right after signing a contract.
At least 7 teams wanted him at some point in time for some reason or another, which is quite frankly much more interest than the majority of our bottom 6 would get.

Look, I’m not saying he’ll come set the world on fire. Hell, I would not be surprised at all if we claim him, play him for 5 games, then waive him again, but at the end of the day he’s still a former 30 goal scorer who isn’t too far removed from several .45-.5 ppg seasons. Even if he comes in here and puts half of that, it is an improvement over many of our players who play on a regular shift. In a year where covid will lead to many sub optimal lineups, I really see no argument to not bring him in, unless there are huge character issues I’ve never heard about.

The idea of the move is very similar to the Fabbri and Ryan pick ups imo. Reclamation project with next to no asset cost outside of a billionaire’s money. This team is bad. Like, really, REALLY, bad. To act like we’re above a reclamation project just doesn’t make sense in my eyes

Last edited:
Reactions: jkutswings

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I will be interested to see if he ever really plays in GR with any frequency. It just goes to show that you aren't back from a major injury until you are back from the injury. If we don't see him playing regular shifts in GR by the end of the year, I think it is safe to say that he is done as an NHL player.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I will be interested to see if he ever really plays in GR with any frequency. It just goes to show that you aren't back from a major injury until you are back from the injury. If we don't see him playing regular shifts in GR by the end of the year, I think it is safe to say that he is done as an NHL player.
Pretty much everyone here with a back injury predicted he won't be back at 100%, none of us are surprised.

If his leg hasn't recovered by the end of the season, he'll get bought out. The buyout would save $1.5M of real money which can be spend on signing another Merrill ($925k)/Stecher ($1.7M) level player. Nielsen's contract is half signing bonus so the team would only save $500k, plus at this point they need Nielsen's contract to stay above the floor next season.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Pretty much everyone here with a back injury predicted he won't be back at 100%, none of us are surprised.

If his leg hasn't recovered by the end of the season, he'll get bought out. The buyout would save $1.5M of real money which can be spend on signing another Merrill ($925k)/Stecher ($1.7M) level player. Nielsen's contract is half signing bonus so the team would only save $500k, plus at this point they need Nielsen's contract to stay above the floor next season.

They won't need Nielsen's contract to reach the cap floor. There is only a $1M difference between his cap hit if he's bought out vs not bought out. They can easily find that somewhere else if they are that close and want to free up the roster spot. After they re-sign Bertuzzi and Hronek they would be about $15-16M from the floor, with the need to sign 8 forwards, 4 defensemen, and 1 goalie. Shouldn't be difficult.

It's more likely they keep him around to meet the expansion draft exposure requirement, but even then I kinda doubt it at this point (I expect they'll re-sign Erne and expose him and Namestnikov to meet the req). At this point, I'd bet on Nielsen getting bought out.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
They won't need Nielsen's contract to reach the cap floor. There is only a $1M difference between his cap hit if he's bought out vs not bought out. They can easily find that somewhere else if they are that close and want to free up the roster spot. After they re-sign Bertuzzi and Hronek they would be about $15-16M from the floor, with the need to sign 8 forwards, 4 defensemen, and 1 goalie. Shouldn't be difficult.

It's more likely they keep him around to meet the expansion draft exposure requirement, but even then I kinda doubt it at this point (I expect they'll re-sign Erne and expose him and Namestnikov to meet the req). At this point, I'd bet on Nielsen getting bought out.
Who do you see us protecting?

Who do you see getting claimed?

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
tough to remember that far back but from memory:

excitement but nothing super over the top

other teams wanted him too so there was definitely some positive feelings about landing him but I don't think anyone was really expecting anything more than a guy that could step in pretty quick and hopefully be a second pairing type which was pretty much exactly what he ended up being
the part about the guys in Detroit are super curious about him makes me think we might actually be bringing this guy in.

I really hope not

Not because of his politics but his physical assault on other players. With a team with a young captain like ours it’s inviting trouble

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

At the same time the team only saves $500k of real money and it takes more money to sign a replacement player. If it's about penny pinching and saving a few bucks, it actually makes sense to keep Nielsen as a healthy scratch.

Also, they can only buy out one player unless there's an arbitration case. Buying out DDK saves more actual money.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Who do you see us protecting?

Who do you see getting claimed?

My guess on forward protections at this point....

Larkin
Bertuzzi
Mantha
Fabbri
Rasmussen
Smith
#7 - I really don't know, but I suspect one of LFG, Ryan, or possibly Namestnikov if they decide they really want him and have two other players who meet the exposure requirement. LFG or Ryan are possibilities if the Wings don't trade them at the deadline and they choose to re-sign in Detroit. Svechnikov and Hirose seem unlikely at this point, unless one of them really breaks out over the next 2 months (again, seems unlikely). The 7th protection spot seems pretty up in the air at the moment.

Defense - Hronek and thennnnn? I don't know. Stecher seems like a candidate, given his performance, and given the emergence of Djoos as a possible candidate to fill the exposure requirement (that would require re-signing Djoos, which I'm not totally keen on given his underwhelming performance so far). Though tbh, I've been less impressed by Stecher than some around here. Also, Lindstrom? Cholo? They seem like maybes at best. Personally, I'd probably re-sign and protect Merrill. He's been our dman I've been most impressed with so far. In reality, we only have 1 guy who's truly worth a protection spot on defense (Hronek).

Goalie - Greiss

Who will they pick? I have no clue. Although, if the rules are the same as last time, one avenue open to Seattle that people overlook is them drafting one of our free agents. Las Vegas had a window between when teams submitted their protection lists and when they had to submit their expansion picks (a 3-day window I think) in which they had exclusive rights to sign any UFAs or RFAs from any team. They accomplished this with a couple players (Erik Haula was one I believe), and those players became their official picks from those teams. They also drafted a few players they were not able to negotiate contracts with ahead of time, and those players went on to sign with other teams a couple weeks later, when free agency started. So aside from them picking a vet like Namestnikov, or a prospect like Lindstrom, I can see them possibly signing and drafting someone like Nemeth.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
At the same time the team only saves $500k of real money and it takes more money to sign a replacement player. If it's about penny pinching and saving a few bucks, it actually makes sense to keep Nielsen as a healthy scratch.

Also, they can only buy out one player unless there's an arbitration case. Buying out DDK saves more actual money.

They can buy out as many players as they want.

I really don't think penny pinching will be so significant that they'll let it affect the roster to such a degree. I could be wrong, but if the right move for roster makeup is to buy someone out, I bet they'll do it knowing they'll be back to something much closer to regular attendance by next fall/winter.

DDK could go a few different ways, but I expect LTIR before a buyout.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Long time lurker. Hi.

DDK should be on the LTIR train if nothing else. Nobody's going to take his contract, and it's been obvious through the games he played he wasn't close to 100%.

Maybe he gets to rehab in Grand Rapids, but I doubt that's a long term situation, and he'd be an idiot to actually retire. Like others have said, unfortunately, the back surgery has done him in. Looked great busting into the league during the playoffs, but humans are fragile beings... back issues are some of the worst.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I hope a team claims him this would be a great way to get Dekyzer off the roster but I doubt anyone touches that contract.
I don't understand this thinking. He has only one year left at 5 million. It's not a big contract even if he is done as a top 4 or even top 6D in the NHL (which I hope he isn't). We're going to have something like 50 million in cap space next season and our LHD side is weeeeeaaaaaak, if Dekeyser could rebound to even become a serviceable #4D it would be huge for our ability to compete.

Teams aren't going to claim him because he isn't healthy, even at a much smaller contract no one wants to pick up a guy that might not be able to play at all due to health reasons. Also, this season a lot of "surprising" guys will end up on waivers and GMs will want to keep some unwritten rule of letting these guys pass through waivers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad