Waived: Danny DeKeyser

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I thought Dekeyser was so overrated early in his career.
But he was decent. I thought a legit 2nd pairing guy who could PK for you.
And then what happens?
He signs a 6-year deal and his game goes to crap in year 1.
Hia 16-17 season (4-8-12 -22) was terrible. Awful.
He bounced back a little bit, but was hurt the next year.
But then in 18-19, Dekeyser was actually really good. 5-15-20. +2 on a terrible team.
Played the toughest minutes but was a positive. Unfortunately, he missed 30 games.

And then he got hurt. Only played 8 games last year.
Came back this year and played like he was 42 years old, afraid to make contact.

Stop and think about those contracts Holland started shelling out.
Jesus.
Even Datsyuk and Zetterberg...
Datsyuk retired early. Zetterberg retired (no surprise).
Howard immediately went from .920+ goalie to .910 and worse
Abdelkader.
Helm.
Ericsson.
Dekeyser.
Nielsen.

The one deal I give him a lot of kudos for is the Larkin contract.

Reactions: Retire91

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
only played 41.2% of gp in last 4 seasons.

upload_2021-2-15_20-4-36.png

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Weird graphic. "Possible games" number is completely wrong. Wings have only played 251 games the past 4 seasons (including this one). So he's played 53.8%.

Intern should be fired.
They multiplied 82 x 4= 328, which is wrong. It should be 82 x 3= 246 + 70gp ('19-'20)= 316 (last 4 seasons) then divide=43.67%. But I get your point.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
They multiplied 82 x 4= 328, which is wrong. It should be 82 x 3= 246 + 70gp ('19-'20)= 316 (last 4 seasons) then divide=43.67%. But I get your point.

Still wrong lol. DDK has played 135 games over the last 4 seasons that includes this one. But if we are counting the 4 seasons previous to this one, he's played 207, in which case their 135 number is wrong. So there are only two options here:

17/18 - 20/21
135/251 = 53.8%

or

16/17 - 19/20
207/317 = 65.3%

Wings played 71 games last season btw.

Fire that intern!!!

Reactions: Sentinel

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Still wrong lol. DDK has played 135 games over the last 4 seasons that includes this one. But if we are counting the 4 seasons previous to this one, he's played 207, in which case their 135 number is wrong. So there are only two options here:

17/18 - 20/21
135/251 = 53.8%

or

16/17 - 19/20
207/317 = 65.3%

Wings played 71 games last season btw.

Fire that intern!!!
Cool. I didn't verify their gp for DDK, I just used their figures, thus plugging in incorrect data to begin with. You win the Math Gold Ribbon (ya big nerd)! :laugh::thumbu:

Thanks for the correction, I like precision/accuracy. Now, let's track down that intern & cancel that mf'er. (also joking)

Reactions: jaster

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Capfriendly now has DDK on the taxi squad, and only 6 roster D along with 13 roster F, Helm being the extra.

This looks oddly like a salary cap saving move for a team that's significantly under the cap. I will be pleasantly shocked if the team takes on a cap dump at the deadline.

Reactions: Retire91

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Capfriendly now has DDK on the taxi squad, and only 6 roster D along with 13 roster F, Helm being the extra.

This looks oddly like a salary cap saving move for a team that's significantly under the cap. I will be pleasantly shocked if the team takes on a cap dump at the deadline.
Now Brome moved to the taxi squad, 12F, 6D, 2G

Penny pinching, salary cap move or both?

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Looked horrible yesterday, I don't understand how the team could put him on the ice when he's not healthy. The team decision process with DDK is absolutely mindboggling.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Looked horrible yesterday, I don't understand how the team could put him on the ice when he's not healthy. The team decision process with DDK is absolutely mindboggling.

Yet still played more mins then arguably our best d-man Djoos. Tells me everything I need to know about our head coach and his horrible deployment of personnel

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Yet still played more mins then arguably our best d-man Djoos. Tells me everything I need to know about our head coach and his horrible deployment of personnel
Let's protect a one goal lead with a one legged defenseman with a bad back who's only played a handful of games in the past year, lol.

Sometimes it's like he's trying to lose. At least Biega played well, but he can't clear the crease to save his life. He was trying his best though, enough to at least keep them occupied.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Another horrible contract from Kenny the gambler.

I think this is unfair to pin on Kenny as a “bad” contract, at least in a traditional sense of the way we discuss bad deals. You really can’t predict injuries, and we could see Danny end up on LTIR. He was probably around market value when he signed, maybe a touch overpaid, and definitely over deployed.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I think this is unfair to pin on Kenny as a “bad” contract, at least in a traditional sense of the way we discuss bad deals. You really can’t predict injuries, and we could see Danny end up on LTIR. He was probably around market value when he signed, maybe a touch overpaid, and definitely over deployed.
The going rate for a middle pair D around that time was about $4 - 5M, the biggest complaint was his softness. You can't predict injuries, but when you're soft you break easily.

I must be soft too though, 'cause I f'ed up my back.

Reactions: wings95

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
The term was horrible. Stop it.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
The term was horrible. Stop it.
To be fair, his contract ends when he's 32 and most players don't fall apart that young. I didn't like that Holland gave him both term and money, usually it's one or the other.

When he signed that contract he was a younger middle pairing defender coming off of 3 solid seasons with only minor injuries. It wasn't a massive overpayment, and there wasn't an uproar like Abby or Helm's contracts.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Holland's veteran signings over the years are soooo bad

DeKeyser 6 x 5
Daley 3.1 x 3
Nielsen 5.25 x 6
Helm 3.85 x 5
Abdelkader 4.25 x 7
Ericsson 4.25 x 6
Weiss 4.9 x 5

The amount of which injuries play into the decline of these players is staggering. Not to say that a majority of them should have been signed in the first place, but they probably look like standard bad deals, and not horrendously bad deals if there people stayed healthy. Ericsson was playing on no knees to end his career, Weiss' problems are well noted, Nielsen clearly looks like he's been on the receiving end of too many concussions, Daley's legs were completely dead near the end, Dekeyser's back is an ongoing thing.

It's actually surprising that Darren Helm might be the one who stayed healthiest over his deal. And like I suggested, his contract was never a boat anchor. It likely could have been moved (and still can be) with some salary retention, and he's truly only slightly overpaid in the last year of his deal. The bigger problem with Helm is his presence; he gives coaching too much freedom to f*** up player deployment.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Before anyone comes in trying to equate/ compare Yzerman to Holland after seeing the Holland bashing, Steve literally just took Bertuzzi to arbitration (only player that made it that far in the whole league) and convinced the arbitor to settle more in his favour than the player's

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
The going rate for a middle pair D around that time was about $4 - 5M, the biggest complaint was his softness. You can't predict injuries, but when you're soft you break easily.

I must be soft too though, 'cause I f'ed up my back.

Eeeh, weird thinking.

You are maybe soft, because your genetics (or some behavior, don't know the case) have caused you the back problems.

"When you are soft, you break easily."

That's maybe stupidest comment I've ever read. DeKeyser maybe played non-physical hockey, but so did Lidström. Nicklas Lidström didn't break ever. Or Kronwall, who did all those damn hits, and didn't get injured either.

These things won't go anything like hand-in-hand. More I think, avoiding contact should keep you more healthy. Contacts are always a risk.

Some guys are more prone for injuries, some are not. With some guy, it's genetics, with some other it's working harder. Maybe working too hard (breaking yourself).

Balanced workout is maybe the nowaday's thing.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Eeeh, weird thinking.

You are maybe soft, because your genetics (or some behavior, don't know the case) have caused you the back problems.

"When you are soft, you break easily."

That's maybe stupidest comment I've ever read. DeKeyser maybe played non-physical hockey, but so did Lidström. Nicklas Lidström didn't break ever. Or Kronwall, who did all those damn hits, and didn't get injured either.

These things won't go anything like hand-in-hand. More I think, avoiding contact should keep you more healthy. Contacts are always a risk.

Some guys are more prone for injuries, some are not. With some guy, it's genetics, with some other it's working harder. Maybe working too hard (breaking yourself).

Balanced workout is maybe the nowaday's thing.
Relax, I'm being facetious because I have the same issue as DDK.

Big physical guys can get injured just as easily, look at Seider or McIsaac.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
To be fair, his contract ends when he's 32 and most players don't fall apart that young. I didn't like that Holland gave him both term and money, usually it's one or the other.

When he signed that contract he was a younger middle pairing defender coming off of 3 solid seasons with only minor injuries. It wasn't a massive overpayment, and there wasn't an uproar like Abby or Helm's contracts.
Agreed. And at the time the Red Wings blueline was already kind of duct taped together. Lidstrom was gone. Kronwall was long in the tooth. Green was, well Green.

The 2017 season the Red Wings defense consisted of Mike Green, Kronwall, Ericsson, Brendan Smith, Marchenko, XO, Jensen, Sproul and other assorted scrap metal. Can you imagine if they didn't sign Dekeyser?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad